Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xtal_gw

Anyone familiar with Lynn's Legacy (Tx Sage)

After reading up on this variety, I'm wondering if anyone has ever actually seen this variety of Tx Sage in bloom? Another name is "Everblooming" Tx Sage. So, I'm wondering just how everblooming it is.

Is it that impressive considering the other varieties of Texas Sage (Ceniza)? I'm just wondering how aggressive I need to be to about locating and planting it.

Thanks for whatever feedback you can offer.
Xtal

Comments (15)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

I haven't grown it myself, but I saw it growing at the San Antonio location of Antique Rose Emporium (which is no more). It was so unusual in the way it bloomed all along the branches in large clusters of flowers that from a distance I didn't recognize it as a Ceniza. Of course I don't know often it puts on that show, but if I were buying a Ceniza that's the one I'd look for. I hope someone who has grown it will answer the frequent blooming question. I'll be checking out the S. A. nurseries this spring to see who carries it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lynn's Legacy Texas Super Star ...

• Xtal in Central TX, zone 8b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Roselee,
    Does this look like what you've seen? I'm hoping to hear more about this plant from others who might be growing it. It's apparently one that is hard to locate.

Xtal

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

Xtal, I'm not sure. What I noticed was the clusters of flowers all along the branches. If you Google images of Lynn's Legacy you'll see what I mean.

Here is a link that might be useful: I hope the picture intended comes up ...

• carrie751
    11 years ago

Christina's in Frisco will have these in stock in mid March............3 gallon containers for about $25. Haven't looked elsewhere as this is pretty close to me.

• rock_oak_deer
    11 years ago

These are also carried at Medina Garden Nursery in Medina which is between Bandera and San Antonio. Not exactly convenient but worth it if you love native plants.

• Lynn Marie
    11 years ago

While I don't normally care for the look of Texas Sages, I like this one AND it has my name! If I ever run across one, I'll definitely find a place for it. Thanks for the education.

• linda_tx8
    11 years ago

I go to Medina Garden Nursery one or two times a year. The owner that is usually there is a true native plant lover! I'll have to look for that one!

• shopshops
    11 years ago

I saw these at my local Lowe's this past Spring. They are also on my wish list. I don't think many people know about this, not planted frequently in the Joshua/Burleson/Ft Wt area. Ask Lowe's or a smaller plant nursery if they will carry it this Spring for you.

Original Author
    8 years ago

Can anyone tell me how to propagate this variety of Texas Sage?

• copingwithclay
    8 years ago

Lynn Lowery was quite the motivated plant collector, and I am glad that I got to meet him before he died. He was a very helpful explainer/instructer as he sold me my first 2 muscadines, first 2 paw paws, and first Red Bay tree. All are still alive and productive 20 years later. If interested in this all star plant collector, a web search for his name turns up a lot of good info. He is missed.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    8 years ago

I see them at Natural Gardener in Austin.

Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks everyone. Natural Gardener in Austin is the closest. I'll be going there.

• johnhk
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I grow this beautiful selection in the neutral ground in front of my home, as a tribute to Lynn Lowery, who I knew and bought many plants from beginning in 1975. Very care free, profuse blooming, after every rain, with different and stunning light periwinkle blue flowers. Slow, steady, open growth in filtered light under oak trees. I also grow them in pots in full sun in my atrium. Wonderful plants.

• sabalmatt_tejas
    7 years ago

I grow Lynn's Legacy and many other Tx sages- it does bloom more often than most - it's great plant

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner