Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
southofsa

PVC pipe shelf

southofsa
11 years ago

Has anyone else ever thought they came up with a totally unique idea? Then when you looked at the internet you realized you were about the five millionth person to have the same idea.

I was mulling over some ideas on how to corral my asparagus plants a little bit so they didn't block my vegetable garden path. I started to think about PVC pipe.

After a little bit of research I was pretty amazed at all the things people make with PVC pipe. That brought me to another project I'd had on my list- starting seeds indoors. I usually either direct seed into the garden or buy transplants. I've wanted to set up some shelves with grow lights and heat mats, but just hadn't gotten very far. Either the shelves I'd found were too expensive, or not the right size, or whatever.

So when I found a post on T's flowers that used PVC pipe with a really nice schematic I figured what the heck. I could tweak the size a little bit to fit my space and I'd see how it worked. Then if I ever decided to get a real one I'd know what worked for me.

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. The pipe, T connectors, PVC cement, and paint ended up costing about $75. I sized it to fit some shoe trays I found on Gardener's Supply. The lights are regular shop lights from Home Depot with really bright fluorescent lights.

It's kind of involved for a DIY project, but if you have the time, a way to make straight cuts in the PVC, and some good sized clamps it's very doable.

I hope the picture comes out OK. I couldn't figure out how to resize it to post. Next up will be my DIY heat mats. Stay posted :-)

Lisa

Comments (11)

• Vulture61
    11 years ago

It looks great. I fund-raised some money to buy 2 commercial plant-growers for the school I worked for at that time and our donors paid around $300 a piece (including a programmable light-timer)Good job!

Omar

• southofsa
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Omar! It was kind of a fun project. But not something I'd like to do full time :-)

Lisa

• PKponder TX Z7B
    11 years ago

You did a nice job on that shelving unit!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

Wow -- looks like a real pro job! Thanks for the photos and comments about how you made it.

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    11 years ago

Nice!

• lavernialadybug
    11 years ago

I want one too - now I can send a picture of it to my hubby to show him what I was talking about.

• Lena Hall
    8 years ago

great job! i like the idea of going vertical instead of horizontal! the feeee-yawn-say is a pvc ninja, so we might do something like this! we thought about hooking up the shop lights on the plastic, home depot 5 shelf storage thingie, but i thought it would be too tight. i like the idea of the diy pvc so you can determine the space between the 'shelves'!!

• Lena Hall
    8 years ago

sorry to keep posting, BUT are these the jumbo boot trays from gardeners supply?

• southofsa
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Lena- just saw your question. It's been a while, but yeah I think they are the jumbo boot trays. Seems like they were running a sale and I ordered them from there.

Yeah, I was surprised at how much space you end up needing for some transplants before they go in the ground. If anything I might have added a couple inches between the shelves. But all in all I've been pretty happy with how they worked when I've had to the time to start seeds. Probably won't use them this year, but there's hope for next year :-)

Lisa

• Lena Hall
    8 years ago

awesome!! we are currently in the carport building one :)