Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My poor cabbages, broccoli, and spinach...hope they survive

Posted by ccabal 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 26, 12 at 23:36

They are under 2 tarps, with snow and ice on top of the tarps. I dont think I can even get those tarps off until all of it melts off. But I'm not sure they would have survived unless I covered them, with it being 21 this morning, and tonight about the same. Anyone still have a vegetable garden going?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My poor cabbages, broccoli, and spinach...hope they survive

I am in 8 b so It has gotten down to 24. I fully expect to have all my plants live through this front. I have goten plants through much worse than this.. I have them wrapped up the heavier frost row cover. They are lighter but let light and some moisture through. We did not have snow. The snow will act as an insulator on top of your tarp. I also put a lot of mulching straw around my plants. Everything helps.

o

i pulled the tarp off this evening. . my plants seemed to have survived although they look a little beat up, especially the taller broccoli plants, with the weight of the tarp on them. but the cabbage and spinach look good. Turnips look good too
, at least the roots are. .. the greens have seen better days.

o

I would look to acquire some of the heavier row cover. It is not as hard on the plants, weight wise. I get it in 12' wide lengths cut to the lenth of my desire and it runs about $1 per running foot. I have pvc frames and I stretch the cloth over the arched frames and clip them with large binder clips from the office store. A box of 12 1"ers goes for about $6. They are perfect on the thin pvc. I sometimes put a second cloth in on top of the plants on the really bad fronts. I have gotten pepper plants through 28F. I pulled them this time because I noticed the peppers had not grown much since the last freeze.

o

We were down at 26F yesterday morning. I had my peppers (still blooming and setting fruit!) under two plastic tarps, weighted down on the edges, with a cloth sleeping bag thrown over the top covering about half of the lay of the tarp. The peppers came through fine, it appears. My trellised peas were unprotected, and they're quite happy.

o

My plants are still going, but not growing much at all. Its gotten into the upper 20s and lower 30s a number of times since I pulled off the tarp but my plants have been OK. The amazing thing is that I still have aphids on my turnips. I had no idea those guys could survive cold weather like that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here