Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garden_frog

WANTED: Spring Plant Exchange in Buffalo/Rochester area

garden_frog
19 years ago

Hello everyone!!

I thought it was about time we started thinking about our spring plant exchange in Western New York. I'd be happy to host it again since my house is centrally located if people would like. Let's see who's intersted and what works for dates? I would think either May or June would be a good time. So if you are interested, post here and I will start a tally on dates and those interested.

Tara

Comments (31)

• faltered
    19 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I wasn't a member last year at this time, so I missed out. But I'd love to participate this year.

I just started winter sowing this weekend, so I should have a few things to share. Is there a minimum number of plants to bring? I've never been to a plant swap before!

Here is a link that might be useful: My website

• garden_frog
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Faltered, Great web site!! I love the plant markers!

As for the plant exchange, we are a very easy going group. No minimums with us. In fact, last year, we had more plants than people knew what to do with. Bring what you can, but don't worry at all if you can't bring much. And if you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Tara

• hammerl
    19 years ago

I'm interested again, hopefully with better health than last year. Obviously winter isn't over (despite the temperatures outside), so I'm not sure what's survived and thrived and what will be ready for division, but I'm sure there will be some plants I can bring.

I don't think I have any plans that far ahead, other than a trip to the periodontist one weekday morning, so any dates work for me. Thanks for volunteering to host again.

• garden_frog
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Happy to host, especially with this group! Everyone was so easy going! Valerie, weren't you the person who got stuck behind the bike race last year? (My mind has turned to mush lately!!) Looking forward to seeing you!

Tara

• gottagarden
    19 years ago

I would like to go, I have a little bit of several things to swap. Different colored daylilies - white, burgundy, etc., yellow hostas, dahlias, lilies, aster, etc. Always like to try something new.

Will you post the date in here? I have a mostly open schedule. Weekends are open now.

• remy_gw
    19 years ago

Tara, Anytime is good for me.

Faltered, I was so worried that I wouldn't have enough plants or they would be plants nobody wanted. It was silly of me to worry. Everthing turned out fine. And we all had such a good time.

Valerie, I haven't forgotten about you. I will be bringing the rose and zebra iris for you.

• husky004_
    19 years ago

Count me in Tara.

• Stephanie Kelley
    19 years ago

Hi, I would love to come to this year's swap. Last year I was busy starting to tame my yard and get things in order, but will actually have perennials to share this time around!

• penny1947
    19 years ago

Hey tara,
    count me in also. I have wintersown a lot of extras this year so hopefully I will have even more to share.

Penny

• marybz5ny
    19 years ago

Good Morning All,
    Tara, you know I'll be at your swap if at all possible. It was a blast last year. Can't wait to see everyone again! I do have three weekends already booked in May and June, so I hope yours will be on a different date. I have daughter's dance recital and camping trip last two weekends in May and a Central NY plant swap on June 25th. Other than that, I'm free any date. Anyone else want to ride along with me from this area to CNY swap on June 25th?
    Mary

• rbirch
    19 years ago

Count me In! Last year was fun. Cant wait.

• mecialone
    19 years ago

Hey,
    I'm new to this forum and to rochester. I moved to from harrisburg last June. I'm trying to start some seeds in doors right now had to leave most of my perenials when I left. I'd love to come just to learn what works well up here. I need spring to be here now ,but understand I have a while to wait. Till the I'll have to settel for forcing blueberry, liliacs forsinthia and any other branches I can get my hands on.

Please get adress,directions as you can, if you'lll allow me the opportunity.
    Thank.
    Regards,
    Mi

• penny1947
    19 years ago

welcome Mi,
    we would love to have you at the swap. we should have plenty of plants to share with you and to get you started. if there is anything in particular that you would like, if any of us have it we can bring it for you. I am a transplant from down south and even though I have been here a few years I still push the limits of what I should grow up here. most of my seeds and plants that i have and am growing are for hummingbirds and a lot are not hardy here but they can be overwintered inside or treated as annuals and replanted each year. several of us do wintersowing which is sowing our seeds in containers of all sorts and putting them outside for the winter to let them germinate naturally in the spring. It seems to to toughen the seedlings up and make them a bit more cold hardy. i have some agastaches that are rated for zone 8 that have so far survived out in one of my beds. within the next month I will know for sure if they survived the winter this year and start growing. If you are interested in the concept of winter sowing check out the link below.

Penny

Here is a link that might be useful: Winter Sowing Forum

• faltered
    19 years ago

Can someone give me an update on the swap- the official date and place? I misplaced the email I received with that info.

What a klutz!

• garden_frog
    Original Author
    19 years ago

OK, sorry to have been MIA for a bit!! So it looks like everyone is pretty open on dates (faltered, we haven't decided on dates yet, that's why you can't find the email!).

What about June 4th or 11th? Mary, I know you work Saturdays, are Sundays better for you? I can do either, so I don't really care. So maybe June 5th or 12th? Let me know guys what works best!!

I've gotta get my butt in gear and get this organized since it will be here before we know it!!

Tara

• husky004_
    19 years ago

Saturday's work much better for me but I will go with the majority.

• penny1947
    19 years ago

As far as I can foresee I am open

Penny

• garden_frog
    Original Author
    19 years ago

OK, of course, as soon as I posted that, something came up one of those weekends. Scratch the weekend of June 11-12.

So it looks like it would need to be the weekend of June 4 or 5th. So everyone vote on a day!!

I'll pick a day as soon as I hear a bit more feedback from everyone.

tara

• faltered
    19 years ago

I don't think I can make it on the 4th. That's the only Saturday in May, June, or July that I'm busy thus far. Any other date would work fine for me.

• lilylouise
    18 years ago

I would like to participate too. Either June 4th or 5th is good for me. I will need address.
    Ruth

• Hooti
    18 years ago

We have a huge swap in corfu (by six plags over Darian Lake)scheduled tentatively for the fifth. I just havent posted it here, waiting for the date to be confirmed. PLEASE do not schedule it for the same day as I have been looking forward to both all winter :o(.

Can we consider the end of June? The winter sows will be larger and we will have more time to consider what we want to keep and trade. Then you all can come to ours (Corfu Garden Club) and you can invite people to Tara's if you want. We are inviting all the local garden clubs - so depends on how much Tara can take, but would give more variety of plants!

Please think about it.

PAX
    Laurette

• lucy925
    18 years ago

I will be there, last year it conflicted with another swap, but I will be there this year, so far I have a rose (not sure of name) and some canterbury bells. I retired in Sept. so have a lot more time to garden. Yea!
    Linda

• June601
    18 years ago

Tara-Pearl and I are looking forward to the swap. Any time is good. I am glad 11th. is out.I can make it any other time. I didn't winter sow this year; but I have perrenials to divide. Anyone want Phlox? I have pink and white. The white is a late variety and is nice to see in Fall.
    June

• husky004_
    18 years ago

Im open whenever...lol.

• Hooti
    18 years ago

The Corfu Garden Club Exchange is on June 11th so that conflict is solved. I am so glad because I have been looking forward to seeing everyone again! Either 4th of 5th is good for me (or any other day than 11th barring unforseen circumstances). I will post more info on the Corfu Exchange on its own discussion, but it is nice that if for any reason someone cannot make it to Tara's perhaps they can make it then. Also there will be lots of different people (and so different plants) so I am hoping lots of you will also come down to Corfu.

PAX
    Laurette

• jenifersrosess
    18 years ago

Hi Everyone,
    I am interested in coming to this event. Please let me know where and when. I live in Niagara Falls.
    Thanks,
    Jenifer

• marybz5ny
    18 years ago

Hi all,
    Sunday the 5th would definitely be MUCH better for me. I just had to ask for 3 out of 4 Saturdays in May off from work for neice's birthday, daughter's dance recital and camping trip. Asking for another 1st week of June will just not fly! Hope we can go with the 5th!

Looking forward to seeing you all - it will be here before you know it!
    Mary

• garden_frog
    Original Author
    18 years ago

OK, so June 5th it is then. Let's say 1pm? Does that work for everyone? I'll send out an email by May 6th with all the details to anyone who has posted here or who attended last year. If you haven't done one of those two things, and you still want to attend this years swap, please send me an email so I can add you to the distribution list.

I plan to do a pot luck again, so I will need people to sign up for that as well. All the details will be included in the email. Oh, and I still have dishes from last year for some of you off the top of my head, I know I have something from Penni, Pearl & June, and Gail.

OK, so I am going to get working on the email!

TTYL! See you all in June!

Tara

• garden_frog
    Original Author
    18 years ago

OK, I am trying to send the email to everyone, and for some reason, my email is down.

I'm posting the email below, but I will also try resending later this weekend.

Hello Everyone!

Hope you are all doing well and enjoying this great spring weather!

Sorry it has taken me so long to organize this year's plant swap. Being a new mother can be a bit time consuming! (As I am sure many of you can relate!)

I plan to pretty much do the same thing we did last year (for those of you that did not attend, we will have the plant swap and then follow it with a pot luck meal.) I think it worked out pretty well last year, and everyone seemed to be happy with the outcome. I wasn't sure if we wanted to do another Chinese Swap this year. If there is enough interest, we can certainly do it, so if you decide you want to do it, please let me know when you RSVP.

Here are the details:

Date/Time: It seems that most everyone was available for Sunday, June 5th for the swap, so that's what I've set the date as. I have been trying to decide what time is best for our swap. My thought was maybe 1pm - ??? (whenever people leave), does this work for everyone? I can do earlier or later if people prefer...I'm very flexible.

RSVP: If you are planning on attending the swap, you must let me know as I will not be posting directions to my home over the internet. If you have received this email, you are on my list. However, if you are reading this on Garden Web, and have not received an email from me, you are not on the list. Please contact me so I can ensure you are not left out!!! Also, for those of you I do have on the list...please be sure to email me about what you are bringing to the pot luck and let me know if you wish to participate in the Chinese swap (both of which are explained below). I will email directions to each person as I receive their RSVP.

The Swap will consist of:

Prearranged trades/gifts: I encourage people who are looking for specific plants, to work out prearranged trades with other attendees. Hopefully most of us have trade lists up on Garden web. This is a great way to find plants that you are looking for and/or find homes for plants that you have. I think Kathy started a thread already about what people are bringing, so that may be a good spot to post about possible trades. Also this is the time for anyone who may have brought a plant with someone specific in mind without wishing anything in return to give their plant to that person.

General Plant Swap: The method of swapping last year seemed to work well for the general swap so I think I will use that same plan this year....if this is really bothersome to people or people would like me to consider another type of swap, please LET ME KNOW!!! As I said before, I am very flexible and want to make sure EVERYONE has fun!!!! It is important to me that everyone go home with something!

As people arrive, they will be given a number (I may do this consecutively or have people draw from a hat, I'm not sure yet.) Once the swap begins, the person with number one will select one plant. Then the person with number two will select a plant, then number three, and so on. Once we are all the way through, we will start over again. If you reach a point that you no longer want anything, you may opt out of the trade at that point. Any extras/leftovers will be up for grabs for anyone.

Optional Chinese Swap: There will also be an optional Chinese swap. I will explain this again for those of you who do not know what it is. In a Chinese swap, everyone brings a wrapped gift of a set value. Every one participating draws a number out of a hat. Once all the numbers are drawn, number one picks and unwraps a gift. Number two can then either pick a new gift or take number one's gift. If #2 chooses #1's gift, number one gets to pick a new wrapped gift from the table. Next, number three can pick a wrapped gift from the table or #1 or #2's gift, if #3 takes one of the unwrapped gifts, then whoever she took it from takes another wrapped gift and opens it. This continues until the last person goes...who either picks anyone of the unwrapped gifts or the last remaining wrapped gift. The basic rule is if someone takes your gift, you can only pick from the wrapped gifts, not from the other unwrapped gifts. I know this sounds confusing, but it is a lot of fun, and very funny!!! If you would like to participate in this, please bring with you a wrapped garden-related gift with a value of $10-$15. (Again, if people think the price limitation is off, please let me know). If you are still confused, let me know, and I will try to explain it better. Also, when you RSVP, let me know if you are going to participate in this so I can be sure we will have enough people for it.

Potluck: There will also be a potluck meal at the swap. I am asking everyone to bring one dish to pass. If you do not like to cook, there are many acceptable alternatives (i.e. soda, chips/dip, plates/napkins, etc.), please feel free to ask me for suggestions if you can not decide what to bring or can't think of anything. Please also include what you will bring to the potluck with your RSVP , so that I can be sure that we have all areas accounted for and not 20 pasta salads but no drinks or anything else!

Time to get to know other garden enthusiasts in the area: The best part of the swap is that it gives us all a chance to get to know other garden "nuts" in the area. There will be plenty of time for people to chat and visit.

More Details and miscellaneous information:

What to bring to the swap: Please feel free to bring any plants you would like, of any size. Trees and shrubs are also acceptable. Other garden related items are also welcome including garden tools, books, seeds, bird feeders, etc.

How to package your plants: I ask that all plants come in a LABELED container of some kind. It does not have to be a pot, but it should be something that contains the plant and will allow the plant to stay healthy despite exposure to sun. Bareroot plants will not survive the day in the sun at my house! Also, please be sure to label your plants with AS MUCH information as possible. Some things to list: Common name, scientific name, sun/shade exposure, color, care instructions, your name or email (so that people can contact you with questions), etc. Please be sure that your plants are watered before they get here!

What else should I bring? I ask that every person attending bring (and wear) their own name tag listing BOTH their gardenweb name and what they would like to be called by. I'll have plenty of blanks on hand for anyone who needs them. You can also, please bring a folding chair or lawn chair of some sort...I have some, but I'm sure I don't have enough! Anyone with extra folding tables, please bring them along. I have a few, but I am sure I don't have enough. Also, it's a good idea to bring boxes or plastic sheets of some sort to transport you plants home in!

Just an FYI: Just like last year, my gardens are still under construction and are still not where I would like them to be. So please excuse the state of construction you will all find when you visit me. Just remember, it is a work in progress! And, just to let you all know, I have three dogs. They are extremely friendly dogs, but they do love to greet new visitors. If you are very afraid of or allergic to dogs, please let me know in advance so that I can anticipate your needs.

Tara

(Garden_frog)

• flowerlady411
    18 years ago

Tara,
    I chatted with you once a long time ago when you first moved to Gaines. I live in Kendall, not far north of you. I am interested in attending, but would like more details. Please email me with any info you can provide.
    thanks,
    Diane
    flowerlady411@yahoo.com

• garden_frog
    Original Author
    18 years ago

OK, I am starting a new thread with the RSVP list. Check it out.

Tara

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area