Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garden_frog

WANTED: 3rd annual wny plant swap at garden_frog's (albion, ny)

garden_frog
18 years ago

Ok folks, it's that time of year again so I am getting started on planning our plant swap!! Boy am I excited! I can't believe it'll be our 3rd year! I am really looking forward to seeing all the old faces as well as some new ones!!!

Here's the details:

Date: I am thinking June 3rd or 4th...please post or email me with your preferences.

What to expect: This is a very fun, casual swap. We welcome anyone, including beginner gardeners who may not have any plants to offer. Usually by the end of the swap, people are begging others to take plants from them! :) We trade all sorts of gardening items including, perennials, annuals, veggies, herbs, seeds, shrubs, trees (usually little ones), and even occasionally gardening books/tools, etc. So please come prepared to have fun and remember everyone was a beginner gardener at one time!

We typically have the swap, followed by a pot luck lunch where everyone chats and hangs out, and a Chinese gift exchange (totally optional). I'll post more details about what to bring, etc. when we get closer to the date.

Location: Albion, NY (I'll send the directions, and address via email to all people attending closer to the date)

What to do if you want to attend? Simple! Just post here and/or email me. As we get closer to the date I will send directions and details to everyone who attended the last two years as well as to everyone who emails me that they are interested in attending this year. I won't be posting my address on Garden Web so if you haven't attended previously and I don't have your email address (or if your email has changed), be sure to email me (by clicking on my name above) so I can add you to the list of attendees!

As I said before, more details to follow!

Tara

Comments (33)

• gottagarden
    18 years ago

I'll be there!

Thanks Tara! It is so kind of you to volunteer, you have such a lovely home and lots of room for a swap.

• faltered
    18 years ago

Tara: Ok, I've made a promise to myself that I WILL attend this year. So sign me up! Either the 3rd or 4th will be fine for me.

You are so sweet to volunteer to do this for us. It sounds like you all had so much fun the last two years.

I will email you so you have my email addy.

Just a side note- how do you all bring your plants to the swap? I do HOS winter sowing, so do you all separate them in to little hunks, or leave as-is? Do you replant into tiny pots, or stick them in baggies? Does that make any sense?

Tracy

• garden_frog
    Original Author
    18 years ago

It certainly does Tracy. Everybody does things a little differently. Mandy, Penny, and Husky are our Winter Sowing experts. (My WS experiences have been less than successful) In the past, I believe they have seperated their WS babies into paper cups (the little bathroom size ones) and done it that way. I think Mandy did newspaper pots too.

Some suggestions for bringing plants...

- Pot them up a week or so ahead of time so they are looking really nice by the time of the swap (easier said than done! I never seem to get my act together on this!)
    - Water them WELL before you come
    - be sure and label them with as much info as you have

I bet you can get lots more suggestions from other members!! People bring their plants all different ways though, so whatever works for you is fine. I've seen people use plastic pots, newspaper pots, plastic bags, even bare root (although I wouldn't suggest it, they dry out too quick). So go with whatever works for you Tracy! :)

HTH!

Tara

P.S. I'm so excited!!!!

• mulchy
    18 years ago

Hi Tara,
    was so happy to see your post this morning. I sure will be there this year, I really enjoyed it so much last year!!!! Maybe I will bring a sun umbrella this year!!! Looking forward to it, I will have lots of plants. MULCHY

• magicman2u
    18 years ago

Ok now I have another Question! If I wanted to bring some plants to share but they are perennials in the ground. What do I do ...dig 'em up and seperate them. I have some Bleeding hearts and shasta daisey that have gotten quite big and was thinking of seprating them and dividing them up......Can I do this??

• husky004_
    18 years ago

awwwwwwwwwww darn im scheduled to visit my daughter in Tampa that weekend...i'll see if i can change it thank god for Ding on Southwest Airlines! I don't wanna miss a swap!

• penny1947
    18 years ago

I plan on attending again this year Tara.

If you want to seperate your perennials to bring that works too. A lot of people have brought iris divisions, hosta divisions etc. If you have seed you can bring that too. We aren't a real picky bunch.

As for how to pot your babies....just put them in whatever works best for you. You can bring a whole milk jug or small hunk os seedlings. Depending on what I have sprouted and how much they have grown determines whether I pot them up individually or several plants to a pot. I have used yogurt cups, nursery pots or whatever i happen to have available.

Penny

• remy_gw
    18 years ago

Hi Tara!
    I'm glad to see you post. I hope everything is well with you and your family : ) I will be there, and as usual, I have no date preference.
    Remy

• hammerl
    18 years ago

I think I'm free that weekend. I have absolutely no idea what perennials have made it yet, but I usually can manage something. Thanks, Tara.

We'll see what survived this wacky winter, and if I can ws anything successfully this year.

• faltered
    18 years ago

Just thinking, since this will be my first swap, I'm not sure how ya'll usually work this.

Do you post lists of what you think you'll have as the date gets closer, to give others an idea of what you're bringing? And then someone mentioned arranging private swaps with others or something. How many came last year?

Clue me in, I'm clueless, but oh-so-looking forward to this! :o)

Tracy

• marybz5ny
    18 years ago

Hi Everyone!

Tara, you know I will be there - and probably Anna also to play with Anika, Lou and the dogs. So exciting to think that it's going to be coming up before we know it, and ofcourse so nice of you to host again too! It's always a great time! I do have preference for Sunday since I work on Saturdays, but Saturday can work for me also as long as I get some advance notice to get off. Potluck and Chinese Swap sounds good again.

Nice to see some repeat swappers responding as well as some new folks. (Husky, were you able to change your visit with your daughter? YOU just have to be there!) Where's Phyllis, Jen, Glenn, Vavsie and Mandy? C'mon guys - we need to see you too! Hope June and Pearl can make it this year.

Looking forward to hearing from you with more details.

Hugs and kisses to Scott and Anika.
    Mary

• husky004_
    18 years ago

Still waiting for some good deals on Southwest so I can change my flight, keeping my fingers crossed. Don't want to miss our annual swap, maybe this year Penny and I will get our plans straight this year. I always show up at her house and she's somewhere else waiting for me lol.

• lilylouise
    18 years ago

Tara,

Thank you so much for hosting this great swap again. I'm really looking forward to attending. Either day is fine with me. I hope its not so blazing hot this year!

Ruth

• lucy925
    18 years ago

Tara, How generous of you. Sunday would be a better day if possible. I sure will try to be there, enjoyed it so much last year. I'll try to have some lilac transplants, among other things this year. I have a whole woods full of trees and never thought of trees last year until someone asked (can't see the forest etc.)

• husky004_
    18 years ago

Ok flight is changed...I'll be there, how about a wish or want list? I have tons of seeds i need to get rid of and am already starting some stuff under lights...as time goes on i'll share what i have started...Spring cannot start too soon!!!!

• gardeningwitch
    18 years ago

I'll be there again!

I am looking for any and all herbs!! And Ferns too.

I am bringing hostas, lilies, tomatoes, and whatever else comes up this year!

I can't wait!

• Hoagie
    18 years ago

Hi All,
    Maryb, how sweet of you to ask! Thanks Tara for hosting, again. I'm free either day and looking forward to seeing everyone at the swap. Anyone else driving from the Finger Lakes area?
    Cheers! Hoagie (Phyllis)

• remy_gw
    18 years ago

I'm glad to see so many people are already planning on attending!

I wrote to Rini recently, and she is hoping to come again too.

Gardenwitch, I have a lot of herbs, and if wintersowing goes well, I'll have even more varieties! Probably way too much, lol, and I'll be pushing them on you.

• rbirch
    18 years ago

Hello all! Tara I will be there as always! Long time no post. I have so much catching up to do, The twins are running me ragged.I dont have a preferance for a day, Im so excited. cant wait. Glen.

• mulchy
    18 years ago

Hi Glen,
    Are you going to bring any grasses again this year??? My black mondo grasss did well all summer.

• rbirch
    18 years ago

Hi Mulchy, glad to hear your mondo grass did well. Yes I plan to bring more, I'm already dividing plants and potting them up getting an early start. I cant wait for the exchange. This year is gonna be sweet.
    Glen

• deprived_wife
    18 years ago

being completely new to the forum, how do we list what we have and what we'd like to swap for? How do I know what everyone else would like??
    I'd like rose seeds-cuttings- especially lucille ball or old cabbage roses, but welcome all.

• remy_gw
    18 years ago

Hi Deprived wife,
    Once it gets closer to exchange time, people often ask for specific swap items and work out a trade with a particular person. Later on I do post asking who would like roses because they are more of a pain to dig and pot up than other items. So, I will have antique roses if you want them.
    As far as what to bring, bring whatever you have excess of anything you got from seedlings to full grown plants. Don't worry, there will be takers. Sometimes what you have lots of and take for granted is something special to others : )
    Hope that helps,
    Remy

• husky004_
    18 years ago

Deprived Wife-just come to Tracy's plant swap then we will force all our plants on you!!! Well Remy does take charge and yell out our numbers most of the time, it does get things moving very quickly though. I don't have a trade list or much of anything on my page but if I see anything someone is looking for I email and offer it, and (sppppst ya want some brugs???) lol just kidding. But just post what you are looking for and I think you will find someone that has it. By the way, if you do come to the plant swap at Tracy's you will find out Remy's real name!

• garden_frog
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I'm so excited to see so many people can attend! And so relieved Husky was able to chage her flight!!! (Even if she did mess up my name!!!) :) It's great to have all our repeat atendees as well as some new faces!!

Let's do Sunday since a few people prefer that day...so it'll be June 4th then! Anyone have a preference on time? Maybe 11am? Let me know if that's ok for everyone or if people prefer a later time.

I started some major garden renovations this weekend, so we may still be under construction when you all get here. I'm hoping to have them finished by then though!! We'll ready for plants at least!! :)

Magicman and deprived wife and any other newcomers, if you have any other questions, feel free to keep posting them here or email me (or any of us who have attended previously) and we'll be happy to help you out.

I'm going to start a new thread where you can post what you have and what you want. I would also strongly suggest listing it under your garden_web trade list as well!

Looking forward to seeing you all in June!!

• garden_frog
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Geesh, how could I forget, Mary...Anika will be SO EXCITED to have Anna to play with!! (I'm sure the dogs and Lu won't mind either!)

Looking forward to seeing you!

Tara

• remy_gw
    18 years ago

Husky,
    Are you saying I'm loud or that I'm bossy? LOL. You are too funny! And I think I did put you in charge of my name, lol.
    Remy

• kryta
    18 years ago

Hi I think this sounds like a lot of fun. I am very interested in coming, my only concern is that I am a beginner to gardening and I dont think I will have anything to trade plant wise. I have some indoor plants but not anything to great =( I do work at a magazine distributor and can get any type of magazines, I dont know if thats ok to bring, I have never been to something like this and since I dont have any plants really, thats all I could think of? Please let me know if I should come or just skip this one and try to gather more plants for next year? Thanks =)

Kristin

• husky004_
    18 years ago

Come along Kristin, heck i'll share some of my stuff with you to trade! Actually ater the first few go arounds people are begging for you to take their plants lol! I just have to get the chick thats hosting this swap name right and I'll be fine. It's a great get together and Tara (yeah that's her name!) and her husband Scott and baby Anika are the perfect hosts.

• husky004_
    18 years ago

Remy, Not at all!!!! lol Just want to warn all the newcomers to get ready for you shouting out the numbers when there is a lull.

• kryta
    18 years ago

Husky, thanks so much that is really nice of you =) This sounds like so much fun I really want to come!!! Are there any magazines that you would really like I can get any kinds usually =) Thanks again.

Kristin

• faltered
    18 years ago

Kristin: I asked the same question a month or two ago! Everyone here is so nice, I think you'll find that out the longer you stick around.

I don't have much, but you're welcome to anything that I do have. I'm sowing way too many seeds this year so I'm sure I'll have way too many seedlings and won't know what to do with them.

Tracy

• deprived_wife
    18 years ago

I have updated my list of seeds. If anyone would like to email me I will set some aside or start them for you! I got rare ones.....lol!

I love gardening and oh, english roses, awesome....

what about books? anyone want to trade books? or items?

I'm excited, new plants!
    I haven't had any trades on this site yet so I'm happy to go to this....big question...what is the normal amount of plants to bring, and how many of any one type???

:)

Sponsored