Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
husky004_

Garden Frog's (Tara) Plant Swap Whatcha gonna bring???

husky004_
19 years ago

Ok our new Mom Tara is busy with Anika, so what's everyone growing and going to bring to the swap???

Comments (47)

• hammerl
    19 years ago

I did no winter sowing. Whatever I bring will be what's survived out in the yard -- and it's all covered in a pretty thorough layer of snow at the moment.

I'm predicting bringing rudbeckia, purple coneflower, sweet woodruff, maybe lupine, but it really depends on what makes it, what went crazy over the past year, and what no longer fits where I put it.

• husky004_
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Still lots of time to winter sow...im just beginning!

• penny1947
    19 years ago

i have already wintersown 47 containers. Some are individual seeds and some are much more. If all goes well this year I hope to have enough of the following to bring to the swap:
    ...AFRICAN LION'S TAIL
    ...AGASTACHES (sown 7 varieties)
    ...AQUILEGIA CANDENSIS (native columbine)
    ...BURNING BUSH
    ...CAROLINA JESSAMINE VINE (I'm a glutten for vines)
    ...CROCOSMIA 'LUCIFER'
    ...HARDY HIBISCUS (2 or 3 new varieties this year)
    ...LAVENDER LADY
    ...LIATRIS
    ...MONARDA 'JACOB'S CLINE'
    ...PENSTEMON 'RED ROCKS'
    ...ROSE OF SHARON (pink and purple varieties)
    ...SALVIA AZUREA
    ...SALVIA COCCINEA 'LADY IN RED'
    ...SALVIA ELEGENS (PINEAPPLE SAGE)
    ...SALVIA GUARANITICA BLACK & BLUE
    ...TITHONIA (MEXICAN SUNFLOWER)

Husky what are you bringing???? BTW, my passion vine is still going strong!

Penny

• husky004_
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Penny-Im just starting my winter sowing so the sky's the limit...then I will start my indoor seedlings...I hope to have some new passifloras for you this year...and im still overrun with my overwintered brugmansias. I have a new truck for us to load up and we'll make sure we get directions to get home this time lol.

• penny1947
    19 years ago

I am trying to oversow this year and using Miracle Gro for wintersowing in hopes of much better germination and bigger plants in time for the swap. i got a bunch of seeds from my passiflora that you gave me last year so I am going to try wintersowing a few of those and save some to share. I can't believe how well it has done over the winter in my kitchen.

Penny

• Hooti
    19 years ago

Hi kids! Glad to hear speak of passiflora. Someone sent me seeds, and I see it is zoned to 6, and have been wondering how it does here. Mine were sent from texas so may be a more delicate strain though.

My wintersows are mostly woodland flowers which grow slow so will be hard to know how many I want to keep, and many are multi cyclers. I will probably be largely dependant on what self sows and what needs dividing. I can definately bring the Peach Leafed Bellflower and I always have Rose of Sharon babies-have like two and three year olds looking for homes. I should have four oclocks and double columbine and blue Flax that self sow, assorted mints (catnip, catmint, spearmint, variegated spearmint, citris mint, lemon balm and black peppermint). I sowed some agrimony just to bring to trades as it is a great wet shade plant with cool historic herbal refrences. I am sowing several wild flowering shrubs, and if I get good germination I will have more than I can get in here (Great Laurel, Mt. Laurel, Oak Leafed Hydrangea and one more whose name I can't recall). I am certain my Mondarda will need or at least benefit from seperating-mostly pink and purple colors (and no I dont know which is which). I have white Rock Cress that is easy to get rosettes from,also Ajuga. I have peony seeds that I am sowing just for trades also, and yellow flag seeds. The most exciting is tetraploid hybrid daylilies-I sowed several hundred seeds so if I get even decent germination I will have way more than I can find room for, and they should be spectacular.

Laurette

• penny1947
    19 years ago

I have my passiflora growing in a larg pot and I brought it in over the winter b/c I wasn't sure how hardy it would be. i put the pot on a pebble tray of water and keep the water fresh in there and it has done really well that way. Much less leaf loss than when I was top watering it.

Penny

• gottagarden
    19 years ago

I don't do winter sowing, so I will be dividing perennials. I don't have a lot, but I will bring some delphiniums, different colored daylilies - burgundy, white, pink, aster frikartii, dahlias - some gorgeous ones!, veronica incana, kalimeris, and whatever else looks like I can divide.

I was going to ask if people have any requests. For example, Penny and Laurette have so many wonderful sounding seeds that they have sown. Is there anything you would like to request from others? I suspect you will be bringing more than anyone else, and I'd like to bring something for you in return.

Perhaps we can put in some requests as well?? I was hoping someone might be able to share some hardy geraniums. Thanks

• penny1947
    19 years ago

Gotta Garden,
    i have sown so many so that hopefully I will have plenty to share. Last year I used cheaper potting soil and didn't have good germination on some things so I have swithched to miracle gro this year and am trying to sow plenty so I will have lots to share. Most of my planting is for hummingbirds so if you garden for hummers then hopefully I will have a good selection.

Your daylillies sound beautiful. I only have one right now and it didn't bloom last year for some reason.

I am also hoping that the cuttings of my red weigelia shrub make it through the winter so I will have some of those this year.

If anyone has any of the following plants/cutting or seeds i am definitely interested
    BIGNONIA CAPREOLATA - Crossvine
    IRIS FULVA - Copper Iris - only this Species
    LONICERA SEMPERVIRENS-native honeysuckle (not Japanese)
    SPIGELIA MARILANDICA
    NATIVE AZALEA

PENNY

• hammerl
    19 years ago

Penny,

If you tell me what to do with native honeysuckle cuttings, I'll bring some. I've got a lovely coral honeysuckle on the fence near the garden, and I'd like to be able to share it. But as of right now, I've just got the one vine out in the snow.

Myself, I'd like any clematis, epimedium, Japanese primrose, tiarella, or trillium, if anyone's got any.

I'm thinking I might have some extra jupiter's beard, maybe some siberian iris... and does anyone know of a good way to convince money plant to travel? I let it plant itself a little bit, and it picked some, um, unusual locations. I'd share a few if they moved better. Probably lady's mantle and maybe hosta, too. Depends on what the plants look like once they aren't buried.

If someone can tell me how to root the cuttings, then I could bring sweet autumn clematis as well.

• penny1947
    19 years ago

hammerl

You can propagate honeysuckle by softwood cuttings
    The best time is when new growth starts to appear in the spring, although if there is green growth, you can do it indoors most anytime of the year. Cut a length of green "soft wood" growth from the end of one (or several) of the vines, making sure to get several sets of leaves. Strip the leaves from the end of the cutting nearest the cut end. You should have one or two leaf nodes bare and one or two sets of leaves left on the vine. At this point you have a couple of options. One is to dip the plant in rooting hormone and place in damp potting or rooting soil. The other is to place the cutting in a vase of water and allow the roots to develope that way. If you go with the water method, be sure to change the water regularly to prevent rot. You will see the roots forming, and when you have several good roots (an inch or so long) you can plant your new plant!

penny

• janetsflowers
    19 years ago

Gotta Garden, I will plan to bring several shades of pink hardy geraniums if they are viable this spring; they were getting way too big but didn't transplant easily.

• gottagarden
    19 years ago

Great! I should have some trillium also, and maybe a clematis or two.

• penny1947
    19 years ago

i have hosta seeds, Clematis seeds and other seeds too that I will bring just in case someone wants to try seeds.

Penny

• garden_frog
    19 years ago

Wow! You Winter Sowers are putting me to shame. I haven't had time to WS this year, but I am going to start some seeds in the window soon. I'm not sure what I will have this year. I've had a bunch of stuff that could probably be divided as of last fall, but we shall see how it fared this winter.

Gotta garden, what color/variety of delphs do you have? That is one of my big wants for this year, so I plan to grow several from seed!

I am getting excited!!

See you all this spring. I posted date options on the exchange page.

Tara

• gottagarden
    18 years ago

I'll certainly set aside some delphs for the hostess! Unfortunately, I don't have them labeled for colors, but they're all gorgeous - different shades of purple, white, and an unusual dusty rose color. They are the Magic Fountains, a dwarf variety which doesn't need staking (2 feet tall).

• remy_gw
    18 years ago

Hi all, I'll be bringing anything that can be divided just like last year. I will definately bring more zebra iris. One thing I will need from someone is a hosta. My husband wants one. I have no clue why he does, but he does. The only thing is I'm not particularly fond of hosta, maybe because I see them everwhere. So, if someone has a not so run of the mill one to trade with me,I would be very happy.
    Remy

• gottagarden
    18 years ago

Does anyone want rhubarb? I took them to a garden club plant swap last year, but no one really wanted it. If someone does, I'll bring it, otherwise it stays in the ground.

• penny1947
    18 years ago

I wish I had a big enough area for rhubarb because I love it. Can it gorw in a container???

Penny

• lilylouise
    18 years ago

I'll be dividing a couple of herbs this year-mainly oregano and salad burnette. I'm gonna end up doing hosta too, because I want to raise that bed to incorporate more organics. They are not a special one but will bring them along anyway. It also looks like I will have some extra heirloom tomatos and purple millet. Plus whatever survives from the WS.
    I am looking for rose of sharon. If anyone is interested I can attempt to root some burning bush cuttings.

• Hooti
    18 years ago

lilylouse - I have many two to four year old Rose of Sharon that need adopting. If you could take some that would be great.

Gotta Garden-I think I would like Rhubarb. It is like "hardy elephant ears" right? Sounds way better than digging up bulbs every year and fits into my herb garden theme.

I am having to move large amounts of yellow daylilies to put in a small garden pond and rock garden/backdrop. They are a fairly early bloomer (same time as the orange or soon after). I can pot some up now if anyone is interested, or easily dig up clumps later on since they are all recently "semi divided".

I have alot of tarragon "larger seedings" (started early under lights) and I only want one *grin*. I am saving the rest for you so start looking for recipes that require tarragon.

Will post more as I see how things come up of back of grow.

PAX
    Laurette

• gottagarden
    18 years ago

Rhubarb does have large leaves, but they die back to the ground in midsummer and you can't find them again until spring. Not sure if it would be happy in a container, but you can try!

• mulchy
    18 years ago

The garden swap sounds like fun!! I'm hoping that I can make it. I have winter sowing plants and several pernnials to split, also have some hostas. It will be nice to meet all you garden folks!!!

• gottagarden
    18 years ago

What's the Date???????

• Hooti
    18 years ago

Looks like we are thinking June 4 or 5(?) Not confirmed yet to my understanding. See the discussion started by Gardenfrog to opinionate or for updates.

Lots and lots of tarragon! I have enough to outfit every garden in NYS so start looking for recipes!

Yellow Daylilies. Ditto.

PAX
    Laurette

• garden_frog
    18 years ago

OK, I've just posted on the other thread that I've set the date for June 5th as that seemed to pose no conflicts for anyone. (Unless I missed someone which is possible, sorry if I did.) I'll be emailing details to everyone by May 6th, so if you want to attend and you don't get an email by then, send me an email and I will forward you the details.

Gottagarden, I am really looking forward to the delphs! I still have no clue what I will be bringing this year. I probably won't know until I start digging Memorial day weekend. I was going to have some indoor sown stuff ready, but since I haven't even planted it yet, now I am not so sure about that. :( Oh well!

Lilylouise, I have a couple small rose of sharon (I think) and if not, you can certainly take a cutting from some of my larger ones. Just remind me in case I forget.

Looking forward to seeing you all!

Tara

• gardeningwitch
    18 years ago

I still have to sign up for this, But What I have to bring is:

Green Hosta (LOTS)
    Lilly of the Valley (LOTS)
    Lillies (Unknown color)
    Iris (Unknown color)
    White Phlox
    Different ground covers, I dont know the names though
    If someone knows how to propagate Japanese Maple, I have a tree I can prune.
    Lambs ear (LOTS)
    Red Curly willow tree (Rooted cuttings)
    Green curly willow tree (Rooted cuttings)
    Black pussy willow tree (Rooted cuttings)
    Bleeding Heart
    thats all I can think of for now.....
    Oh, and lots of heirloom seeds

What I am looking for is:
    Herbs!!!
    Raspberry plants
    Blackberry plants
    Grape plants
    Blueberry plants

This sounds so fun!!!

• janetsflowers
    18 years ago

Gardenwitch
    I have mint, lemon balm, chives, horehound and bloody sorrel in herbs; interested in curly willow and blk pussy willow.
    Janet

• remy_gw
    18 years ago

Hi All, I put together a list of what I can bring on My Page after the rose list. I think I remembered everything. If you want something in particular let me know. As I wrote before, I'm looking for a not so run of the mill Hosta for my husband. Also, I'm interested in anything that blooms July or later, but being the plant junkie I am, I'll take stuff that blooms earlier too : )
    Thanks,
    Remy

• husky004_
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well so far I'll have some Burpee tomatoes Big Mama and Fresh Salsa....lots of cosmos Sensations...some kiss me over the garden gate...poppies....penstemon husker red...brugmansia, if anyone is interested, a few passifloras, Burpee honey bear sunflowers, william guinness columbine...and whatever else sprouts

• rbirch
    18 years ago

Hi everybody! been a long time since my last post, the twins keep me busy. Here is a small portion of my list:
    Black mondo grass
    Flame grass
    zebra grass
    creeping jenny 'aurea'
    purple coneflower
    goldsturm rudibeckia
    and whatever else I can dig up between now and then. Cant wait last year was a blast, see y'all soon.
    hey gardenwitch, I hope to get one of those red curley willow cuttings.

• mulchy
    18 years ago

Hi everyone,
    I was just wondering , On the average how many plants should we bring to the plant swap? I have been busy digging and splitting my plants, but don't know how many.

• rini
    18 years ago

Hi -

I am exciting about attending the first time.

I'm planning on bringing
    lamb's ear
    red yarrow
    blue forget me nots
    shasta daisy
    raspberry
    fern
    mint
    lily of the valley, white
    yellow tansy
    purple dutch iris (mini-iris)

Canna bulbs, red and orange

I do have unrooted plants -
    oleander, white/pink wild roses, honeysuckle, night blooming jasmine, -- if anyone is interested in these, let me know and I'll bring some clippings.

I'm looking forward to meeting fellow gardeners!
    Rini

• Hooti
    18 years ago

I also have enough Rose of Sharon to outfit every house east of Syracuse. I plan on bringing some but would help me to know in a general way who or how many are interested so I know how many to bring. Some are a couple years old and three feet tall or so.

It looks like I have alot of babies in my garden. Unsure what exactly, but looks like I could put feverfew under all those Rose of Sharon bushes too.

I also have a good number of WILD collected (seeds) black eyed susans - or more likely what the guy at the Native Plants lecture called "Brown Eyed Susans" - look similiar but many smaller/branching blooms per plant. Hard to say as mama was in really dry shale soil which could have effected her. If anyone is interested in truly native/wild Black Eyed Susans let me know. (mom was also in land I know to not have been cultivated, nor near cultivated garden).

PAX
    Laurette

• penny1947
    18 years ago

Updated list from above as a lot of stuff is still too small or just sprouting

...HARDY HIBISCUS Maybe if they start to really take off.
    ...LIATRIS
    ...PENSTEMON 'RED ROCKS'
    ...SALVIA AZUREA
    ...WILDFLOWER MIX

I may also have some perennial sweet william and rose campion and whatever else I can come up with as nothing seems to be growing too well this year except the stuff I wintersowed last year.

Penny

• gardeningwitch
    18 years ago

I would love some Rose of Sharon!

I may be able to bring a much bigger variety of stuuf too if I can get to my sisters house. She has a lot of great things that the person before her planted. I have been meaning to divide a lot of it up, so maybe this would get me going!

• June601
    18 years ago

Hi--a list of what I have to bring--
    pink lilly of the valley
    Solomon's Seal
    white phlox-(David)--late bloomer
    Allium bulbs--pink, yellow,and blue
    Daffodil bulbs
    Larkspur
    Hens and Chickens
    Canpanula
    Siberian Iris--(yellow)
    and more.
    If anyone has a request; let me know
    I would like striped Iris if I can find it
    June

• mulchy
    18 years ago

Hi June,
    I was just reading your post, I would like some of your David phlox and larkspur. I have striped iris (purple flower). I also have some fern leaf bleeding hearts to trade, also several others. See you this weekend.
    Mulchy

• jlui
    18 years ago

Hi there,

I am going to be at the swap again, too! I'll be bringing some of the same sort of stuff as last year, but with a few new things added on.

Ajuga
    Primrose
    Liriope
    Columbine
    Daylilies
    Burning Bush
    Butterfly Bush
    ??????

See you Sunday!

Jen

• garden_frog
    18 years ago

OK, I am finally getting around to posting my plants. Geesh, with just a couple of days to spare.

I will have:

Mrs. Moon
    Iris (several colors)
    Primrose
    Mondarda
    Bleeding hears (they aren't looking too good though so they may not make it)
    One Eggplant
    One Watermellon
    Columbine
    Cosmos seedlings (seashells and the common variety)
    Coreopsis
    Pachysandra
    Possibly a few other surprises

If you see something in my garden while you are here that you are interested in, let me know, and I may be able to get you a start.

See you all on Sunday!

Tara

• marybz5ny
    18 years ago

Hi all,
    Looking forward to seeing everyone! It's good to see that we have so many repeat traders from last year.

Remy, I've got you covered for that not so run of the mill hosta you're lookng for.

Gottagarden, I would love a few starts of some rhubarb...yum... Now, I just have to get June's great rhubarb crisp recipe...

June, I'd like some of your pink lily of the valley. The piece I got from you last year didn't take. I have monarda for you - what color are you looking for? I think I have pink, purple and red.

I'm not quite sure what all I'm bringing. I'm heading out now to pot some things up.

Can't wait to see you all.
    Mary

• lilylouise
    18 years ago

Here's my definitive list:

Salad Burnette 4
    Oregano 1 only
    Sweet William 3
    Bergenia 2
    Sweet Cecily 3
    Feverfew 3+
    Heirloom tomatoes 18

I think that's it. See you all Saturday.
    Ruth

• hammerl
    18 years ago

remy,

For your not-run-of-the-mill hosta, any requests? (Not sure I'll see your response in time, but hey...) I've got Golden Tiara, which is gold on the edges, a few unnamed types that are large-leaved and blue-green, a small leafed bluish type that I think is Blue Cadet... but if I don't know if someone wants it I'm not splitting any of it. They're just kind of big right now. By next year I'd have Little Black Scape ready for dividing, but I don't know if it's there yet. Or you could really disappoint your husband with a teeny tiny hosta. I've got three teeny unnamed ones with leaves the size of my pinky fingernail, and Pandora's Box, which is even tinier (that whole plant is the size of my pinky fingernail!)

I don't know what everyone wants, so I'm just going to see what I can pry out of the hard-as-concrete ground. Wish me luck.

Ruth, isn't it Sunday? The message says June 5th, which is a Sunday.

• mulchy
    18 years ago

Hi, Looking forward to Sunday. Mary, I was reading your trade list, wondered if you were going to bring any baptisia, I would love some. can't find any around here and I have heard its a great plant.
    Hammerl, your hostas sound great, never have seen the tiny ones, hope you bring some!!!!
    See you folks Sunday. Mulchy

• June601
    18 years ago

Hi-Mary--and Mulchy-I hate it that I have this bad cold and ear infection; so won't be able to come.
    I still have lots of pink Lily of the Valley. Mulchy;-If you dont find Baptisia; I have some. It makes a beautiful bush. I have also rhubarb-as well as the recipe.
    I hate that I am going to miss this.
    June

• marybz5ny
    18 years ago

Oh no June, we sure are going to miss you. Maybe you'll make a super quick recovery and be feeling up to it by Sunday. Can I do anything for you in the meantime? You know I'm by your house at least once a day. Let me know.

Mulchy, I had already planned on bringing baptisia. I will be sure to set aside a nice one for you.

Here's some of what I'll be bringing:

Baptisia
    Labradorica Viola
    Intermediate Iris - Burgundy color
    White Violets
    Blue Eyed Grass
    Solomon's Seal
    Pink Sundrops
    New Zealand Burr
    Rosy Glow Sedum
    Columbine

Maybe more if I get some time to dig again.

Can't wait.
    Mary

• lilylouise
    18 years ago

Well duh, I just had it in my OLLLLDDDD mind that the 5th fell on Saturday. thanks for the heads up. See ya tomorrow, Sunday.
    Ruthie

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA