Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garden_frog

wanted: june '08 wny plant swap: whacha bringing/whacha want?

garden_frog
16 years ago

Sorry for the spelling on the subject line...it's all I could fit!

Anyhow, so for people attending the June 1st WNY Plant swap...what are you bringing? What are you hoping to get??

Here's where you can post your haves and wants. This is a great place to set up prearranged trades!

I'll be back later with my haves since I really don't know what made it through the winter yet.

Tara

Comments (31)

• lucy925
    16 years ago

Hi Tara, Good to hear from you again. I will be at the swap. Since I have been having back problems lately I will be downsizing my roses. Is it just our area or have the deer been a real pain in the neck this winter? I looked in our field next door a few weeks back and saw about 20 just looking at my westhighland terrier barking at them- they never moved! They have eaten my arborvitae half way up, and I see tracks all over the yard in the snow.
    Hopefully I have some roses left in the Spring.
    See you in June with a dessert.
    Linda

• rosalinda_gw
    15 years ago

Hi Folks,
    I have never been to one of these swaps. Where is it held?

What kind of stuff do people bring, seeds, plants, cuttings or all of the above?

I would LOVE to get some black bamboo, even though it isn't really hardy in my zone.

Thanks for any info you can give me
    -Rosalinda

• lilylouise
    15 years ago

Does anyone have any bridal veil spirea? I'm considering using it on my fence row. Does it root easily or does it have to be layered?

The tomato seedlings are behaving themselves so far. I'm trying 6 different heirlooms from those I've tried before.

Ruthie

• penny1947
    15 years ago

Hey Tara
    Are there any updates on the swap yet? If so I must be missing them. We are still on for June 1st right?

Penny

• virgiebaby165
    15 years ago

Tara:
    A duplicate of Penny's request...are we still on for 6/1?? Need a map, info, etc if still on. Thanks, as I know you are pretty busy.

• lilylouise
    15 years ago

If indeed we are good to go---I have a couple of varieties of epimedium if anybody is interested. LMK otherwise I won't bring them.
    Ruthie

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Ruthie,
    Here! I'm waving my hand : )
    I'm interested. I have the pink flowering one, rosea?, and like it. So any others I'm interested in.
    Remy

• garden_frog
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We're definitely on folks! Sorry I got way backlogged on emails! I owe several of you emails. I'll be emailing everyone tomorrow as well as posting an update!

Sorry!! I'll post an update again tomorrow!

• garden_frog
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK, I believe I've caught up on my outstanding emails, so if you haven't heard from me, then I may not have received your email. Here's the people I have signed up thus far...

{{gwi:1321209}}

So if your name isn't on that list and you'd like to attend or you have a ??? next to your name please contact me ASAP!

Sorry again for my slow response to everyone. It's been a crazy spring. I'll be getting back to everyone right away though now!

I'll be back shortly with what I'm bringing/what I'm looking for

• garden_frog
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK, here's what I hope to bring to the swap this year... I feel like I don't have much because most of my plants are small due to the move.

A few iris varieties
    A small division or two of Cranesbill Karmina
    Mint
    Lupine (Winter sowed)
    Snapdragons (wintersowed)
    Foxgloves (wintersowed)
    Variegated Vinca
    Hosta
    Lemon Balm
    Snow on the Mountain
    Black Eyed susan
    Obedient Plant (I think it's white)
    Crazy Daisy?

And two plants I'm not sure what they are...

The first one is a fuzzy sort of leaf like lambs ear...

{{gwi:1321210}}

The second is a groundcover that's flowering now...

{{gwi:1321211}}

If anyone knows what they are, I'd love to know!

I may also have some bleeding hearts, some sweet woodruff and a few other assorted things from my moms gardens providing I get time to go over there and dig a few things up!

As for what I'm looking for...well, I'm not too picky, especially now being in the new house. Of course I always love some new iris varieties, peonies would be nice, hardy geraniums, baptisa, delphiniums. Anything really though. Most of the stuff I moved made it, but I've got lots of space to fill!

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Hi Tara,
    Glad to know you are up to doing all of this! : )
    Your white flowered perennial is Iberis(Candytuft).
    Does the other plant's foliage have a scent? It looks like Sage.
    I have a good sized baptisia in a pot that I can bring for you.

I'm bringing quite a few unusual seedlings I winter sowed. I don't have most of them listed.
    Remy

• husky004_
    15 years ago

Tara-looking forward to our annual swap...if it warms up anytime soon i'll check the garden and see what i can divide and bring...so far I have some passiflora morifolia (nice tropical vine that flowers beautifully and also fruits) I also have some husker red penstemon if anyone is interested...think i have a few lilies for Brenda lol...and of course lots of cosmos seedlings(are you sick of them yet???)hopefully will be able to get some stuff dug up this weekend for the swap...also if anyone wants any cannas let me know i have boxes of em...Kathy

• Jerry Ciesielski
    15 years ago

Tara,
    The fuzzy plant that looks like lamb's ears, may be Lychnis (catch fly)
    If it flowers in mid-summer and has sightly sticky flowers, then it is probably some variety of Lychnis.

• rosalinda_gw
    15 years ago

What I have ready to go so far...
    Umbrella Palm Cyperus alternifolius Gracilis (divisions)
    Corkscrew Willow Salix matsudana, 'Tortuosa' (cuttings and rooted cuttings)
    Salix integra 'Hakuro Nishiki (1 yr old plants)
    Achillea millefoium Cerise Queen (potted plants - 2)
    Datura metel Belle Blanche (seed)
    Strawberries And Cream Ribbon Grass Phalaris arundinacea Feesey (divisions)
    Onothera Evening Primrose Yellow (divisions)
    Artemisia vulgaris ÂJanlim Oriental Limelight (divisions)
    White Nancy Lamium maculatum (divisions-1 so far let me know if I should bring more)
    Dwarf Cattail Typha minima (divisions)
    Lysimachia nummularia 'Aurea' Golden Creeping Jenny (divisions)
    Egyptian Multiplier Onions (also known as walking onions, or perennial onions) (divisions)
    Penstemon Digitalis Husker Red (white flowers) (divisions)
    Linaria purpurea Springside White (divisions - 1 so far let me know if I should bring more)
    Phystotegia virginiana Summer Snow (divisions)
    Jerusalem Artichoke Helianthus tuberosus yellow flowers (tubers)

If anyone is interested in more than one of these or if several people are interested in any of these, please let me know so I can figure out how many to bring. This is my first time doing this so I don't really know what to being or how many - all the help you can give me would be appreciated.

I have more stuff I am working on. I also have several different heirloom tomato seeds, lemon basil seed, and other stuff - if anyone is interested in seed, I can bring some of that also.

- Rosalinda

• rosalinda_gw
    15 years ago

Black Bamboo Phyllostachys Nigra
    Hydrangea arborescens Annabelle (cuttings if I can't get rooted cuttings or plants)
    Clematis Paniculata Sweet Autumn (mine winter killed - sigh)
    Any black or very dark flowered hemerocallis
    Any black flowered Iris
    Any variegated leaf Iris
    Achillea Fire King - red
    Little Business Daylily
    Nicotania alata Lime Green (seed)
    Any black flowered Zantedeschia Calla lily
    Any dark leafed Cimicifuga ramosa (now renamed Actea)
    Astilboides tabularis
    Petasites japonicus variegatus Nishiki buki
    Pulmonaria Diana Clare Longifolia

OK I know some of these are pretty out there - but what the heck - who knows what you all have growing!

-Rosalinda

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Hi All,
    If anyone has interesting herbs or other edibles, please bring them for Hilde.
    Anyone with woods have Thimbleberry growing?
    Remy

• rosalinda_gw
    15 years ago

Don't have thimbleberry but could probably dig up some wild black raspberries if anyone is interested.

Remy, would Hilde be interested in any jerusalem artichoke or perennial onions?
    -Rosalinda

• lilylouise
    15 years ago

no problem Remy. I have a white and a cream colored epi. I'll bring you one of each.---Lil

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Rosalinda,
    I don't know about the jerusalem artichoke, they get so big, but perennials onions probably.

Ruth,
    Thanks so much!
    Remy

• garden_frog
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Remy, thanks for the ID on the second plant! That's definitely what it is. And the first one isn't sage...it's lambs ear. I was looking through pics and I realized that it's not like lambs ear! It IS lambs ear. hahahaha And thanks! Can't wait for the baptisa!! Also, if you talk to Hilde, let her know I've got a basil for her...it's a mound forming basil, I need to look up the name again! Anyhow, I grew them from seed and started them late, so they are small but I'll be happy to give her one!

Kathy, I wouldn't say no to a few Cannas!!!

Jerry, thanks for the possible ID! I think I actually do have lambs ear! I'm so silly!

Rosalinda, I wouldn't mind 1 of the white toadflax. I have a dark purple/maroon dwarf iris if you are interested. It's definitely not a true black, but it's fairly dark. Here's a pic...

{{gwi:1321212}}

I also have several different variegated iris varieties but I don't think any of them are ready for division yet. I'll double check though.

Well, looks like the weather Sunday is going to be nice! We actually have shade here in the back of the house so it should be a bit cooler than usual!! Unfortunately due to the forecasted rain on Saturday though, we may have to get creative parking wise so as not to create ruts in the lawn. When you get here, just pull up the the front of the house to unload and then I'll instruct you where to park after you've unloaded.

• fleethart
    15 years ago

Hello All,
    I am new to NY, so I have lots of questions and flower beds that need taming. Please tell me if you see interesting plants on my list so I know what to bring. Can bring Contorted willow, lemon grass seeds, early purple sprouting broccoli seeds, paper seed saving envelopes.
    The flowerbeds at this house are mostly shade so suggestions are welcome, just no more hostas, please!
    Can I bring things to see if anyone can ID them? I have mystery plants I don't know whether they are weeds or what.
    I would like some Jerusalem artichokes, lunaria seeds, alyssum, Harlequin marigold and Lily of the Valley.
    Cheers,
    Tauna

Here is a link that might be useful: My List

• garden_frog
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Rosalinda, I forgot...if you have any of the rooted corkscrew willows left, one of those would be awesome too!

And Tauna, I've had my eye on a dark purple lilac so if you've got one, I'd love it!

And I happened to remember when I was out in the yard yesterday...does anyone have any verbascum? I prefer the purple or the southern charm varieties, but any others would be fine too. I thought I brought my southern charm from the old house but I didn't see it when I was out mulching last weekend so I don't know if I left it or if it was one of the few that didn't make it.

• fleethart
    15 years ago

Tara,
    I will dig the lilac today for you; could you part with some bleeding heart?

Remy, I have 8 acres of conservation land, but I don't know what thimbleberry looks like. There are several cane berries growing out there but I cannot say exactly what they are.

Is anyone coming from Northtowns, by Niagara Falls who would care to carpool? I have plenty of room and would love the company.
    Tauna

• garden_frog
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Tauna, the bleeding hearts come from my moms garden. I'll see if I have time to make a trip out there (she's in Pendleton actually) on Saturday before the swap to get you one. I never did make it out there last weekend like I'd hoped. Or I might be able to have Penny or Glen swing in and pick it up since they both live near her. I'll do my best to get you one in time for the swap!

• gottagarden
    15 years ago

I would love white toadflax! Also any epimediums would be wonderful. I have lots of things to trade, but haven't updated my list this year. See you Sunday.

• fleethart
    15 years ago

Tara,
    Don't worry about getting to Pendleton to get bleeding hearts, I'll be alright without it. I'll bring the lilac for you just the same.You have enough to do as the hostess.
    Cheers
    Tauna

• fleethart
    15 years ago

Would anyone be interested in aged chicken manure or horse manure for fertilizer? I have a constant supply :)
    Cheers
    Tauna

• virgiebaby165
    15 years ago

Tauna: Will bring your Alyssum seeds and Lunaria Seeds (Silver $).

I'm trying to bring (they are drooping as we speak from being put in containters earlier this week) Peren.CELERIC (HILDE, I have your name on one) can be used like/tastes like celery and leaves are tasty fresh or dried.....Peren. MALVA ZEBRING/BRAVEHEART mix.....FERNS from my neighbor.....Peren. BLUE BEDDER SALVIA.....Peren. ROSE QUEEN SALVIA....3 winter-sowed peren. HARDY HIBISCUS--"PEPPERMINT SCHNAPPS".....winter-sowed FOXGLOVES (in pink).....Peren. MALVA-Pink/Mauve that stays neat and compact.....hopefully some Peren. Hardy MUMS--Fuschia/hot pink colored....some others. Sorry for being so late on this.

Ginny

• garden_frog
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Tauna, I just noticed you asked if you can bring plants for ID purposes. Definitely. You can bring pictures of them or the plants themselves and the people here will be great help!

I didn't make it out to Pendleton to get the bleeding heart but I'm in the process of checking with a few of the people out that way to see if anyone can swing in to pick it up on there way here. If not, I can always get it to you a bit later in the summer on my next trip out there.

• rosalinda_gw
    15 years ago

Tara - ok one Linaria and one corkscrew coming and yes I would love a dark red dwarf Iris

Remy - perennial onions ( for Hilde?)

Tauna - will bring you Jerusalem artichoke, and I tried to dig up some white bleeding heart for you, but it didn't work too well - I will bring what I got though, maybe it will root.

Gottagarden - linaria

The rain clouds just blew off so I had best get out and get the rest of this stuff.

-Rosalinda

• rosalinda_gw
    15 years ago

I managed to get everything completed before the big storm hit - wow that was a scary one (though not as bad as the tornado we had last June!). fortunately other than a few small branches ripped off the corkscrew willow, and some of the plants I have prepped for tomorrow a little battered, no real damage done.

See you all tomorrow!
    -Rosalinda

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?