Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garden_frog

WANTED: 2011 8th annual wny plant swap - wants/haves

garden_frog
12 years ago

Invites for the 8th Annual WNY plant swap will be going out today. I'll be sending them to those that have attended or expressed interest in the past. If you are interested but did not receive an invite, please email me so I can include you. Anyone is welcome!

For those that are attending...what are you bringing and what are you hoping to go home with?

Comments (25)

• rosalinda_gw
    12 years ago

I am soooo looking forward to the swap, have been anxiously watching the board and was delighted to receive the invite.

My dream list....
    Ajuga Black Scallop
    Akebia quinata Alba
    Akebia quinata Chocolate
    Albrizia julirissin Summer Chocolate
    Any dark leaved Alocasia or Colocasia
    Alternathera Red Threads
    Asclepias White Ballet (plant or seed)
    Asiatic Lily Latvia and or Trebbiano
    Astilboides tabularis
    Bergenia Bressingham White
    Brunnera Hadspen Cream
    Brunnera Jack Frost
    Brunnera Looking Glass
    Brunnera macrophylla Mr Morse
    Calla Black Pearl
    Cercis canandiensis Hearts of Gold
    Clethra alnifolia Vanilla Spice
    Cornus Kousa Dogwood Wolfs Eyes
    Cotinus coggygria var purpurea Purple Smokebush
    Daphne x bburkwoodi Briggs Moonlight
    Dahlia Black Wizard
    Delpninium elatum Chocolate
    Dogtooth Violets Any
    Cranesbill Geranium Expresso
    Cranesbill Geranium Springtime
    Helleborus, any but especially the very dark/black flowered ones, or the green flowered ones
    Hemerocallis Night Embers
    Hosta Venus
    Iris Dwark Crested Iris Tennessee White
    Iris Any White Japanese Iris
    Leucanthemum Ice Star
    Leucanthemum Goldrausch
    Miscanthus sinensis Gold Bar
    Panicum virgatum �Shenandoah�.
    Panicum virgatum 'North Wind'
    Phormium "Platts Black"
    Ninebark Physocarpus Opulifolius Diabolo
    Peony Bartzella yellow hybrid
    Peony lactiflora Green Lotus
    Peony Singing in the rain
    Any dark red peony
    Tree Peony Any
    Peony sffruticosa Taiyo (dark tree peony)
    Petastes Variegatus
    Pulmonaria Diana Claire
    Rhamnus frangula Fine Line
    Rheum palmatum v. atrosanguineum (atropurpureum) , ornamental rhubarb
    Rheum palmatum v. tanguticum, ornamental rhubarb
    Rhus typhina Tiger Eyes (Glen, the one you brought last year didn't make it)
    Rodgersia pinnata Chocolate Wing
    Salvia lyrata Purple Knockout
    Veronica gentianoides Ramosa
    Veronica Dwarf Ulster Blue or any dwarf Veronica
    Weigela florida Elvera Midnight Wine
    Weigela My Monet

Seeds from Meyer Lemon

Still no luck with those Ninebark cuttings, I thought they rooted easily. I must be doing something wrong

Bringing - we will see what survived this long hard cold winter -
    Willow cutting, and maybe some rooted -
    Streamco Salix purpurea
    Hakuro Nishiki
    Corkscrew
    French Pussy Willow Salix caprea
    Flame Salix alba

Weigela variegata
    Sambucus canadensis (almond scented, heavy fruit bearing)
    maybe also some Black Beauty and Sutherland gold if it survived

Strawberry Honeoye
    Cyperus alternifolius
    Begonia Taurus Rex and maybe Fireworks
    Ajuga Chocolate chip
    Ajuga Burgundy Glow
    Pennisetum alopecuriodes
    Ophiogonum planiscapus Nigrescens

I have miniature cattail if anyone is interested

-Rosalinda

• penny1947
    12 years ago

Not sure what i will have this year between the vole damage and the prolonged winter. I know I will have at least one Heuchera Bressingham Hybrid I was hoping to have some Silene virginica but none have sprouted yet. I should have some salvias and a few seed grown dwarf cannas. for sure. After that it will be anyones guess.

Penny

• garden_frog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Rosalinda, you are so organized!!! And if you can't get the ninebark to root, I know I can't. didn't someone mention last year it was best to cut it before it flowers? Feel free to stop by and take cuttings anytime. You know where I am.

Like Penny, no clue what I'll have this year. The gardens got a bit neglected after the year I had last year. But looking forward to getting out there and getting back into it. I had planned to be out there this weekend but the weather is NOT cooperating. The wind ripped the pool cover half off the pool this morning so we ended up having to take it off. At least the pool will be open and running in time for the swap if it's actually warm enough to use it. :)

• flowergirl34
    12 years ago

Hi! I just sent an email about an invitation.I've never been and would love to know more about it. It sounds like a lot of fun! :)
    Thanks!
    vina

• penny1947
    12 years ago

If anyone has Clematis glaucophylla (Leather Flower), I would love a cutting or even seed.

Penny

• gottagarden
    12 years ago

I would love to do pre arranged trades with anyone. Check my trade list to see what I have and what I want. In particular, I'd love to get some Japanese iris.

I love spring bulbs, so will even trade for daffodils, especially like the more unusual daffs.

I divided some peonies this spring, so will be bringing some of those. Also lots of gorgeous iris. And a bit of this and that, depending on what is growing into the path or getting too crowded.

Rosalinda, I have similar plants on your want list, but not exact. For ex., I have veronica gentianoides, but not the particular ramona cultivar. I have karl rosenfeld peonies, which are dark pinky red, not true red. and lots of hardy geraniums, just not the specific ones you ask for.

Looking forward to seeing everyone this year.

Here is a link that might be useful: My trade list

• flowergirl34
    12 years ago

Looking at what everyone is bringing is making me REALLY want to know more about this. Can anyone tell me when it is and where.

And would it be okay to bring my MIL too...she's also a gardener.

Thanks so much for any info!! :)
    vina

• penny1947
    12 years ago

If they don't drown in all this rain, I hope to have some Penstemon barbatus coccineus divisions.

Penny

• gottagarden
    12 years ago

Anyone want to do a prearranged trade?

I'll trade perennials for started veggie plants.

I'm not good with seeds.
    I'd like butternut squash, beans, tomatoes, etc.

let me know if interested.
    THANKS

• flowergirl34
    12 years ago

I have some beefsteak tomatoes and my dad's "monkey butt" tomatoes started. I'm hoping they'll still be alive in a month, lol! Everything is about ready to float away :)

• remy_gw
    12 years ago

Hi Brenda,
    I should be able to bring you some veggies. I'm going to get some daffodils for you too.

Everyone,
    I would love some shrubs for a not for profit church community garden that I am helping out in the city of Buffalo, easy care shrubs for sun.

I'm not sure all of what I'll have yet. I have the week before the swap off so I'll know more then.
    Thanks,
    Remy

• penny1947
    12 years ago

Remy
    I have some rooted cuttings of my weigela. They really are small but once the rain stops and the sun comes out and they get planted either in larger pots or in a nursery bed for the first year, they will take off. I will be bringing those for sure for anyone who wants them.

BTW, My three year old plant is almost or just about 5ft. tall.

I also divided my Heuchura sanguinea Bressingham Hybrid so if they start developing roots I will have several of those.

I will also have a few Cana patens. They are a dwarf Canna with bicolored red and yellow flowers. They stay about 3ft tall. They were seed grown and the temps haven't been the best at getting them growing so they are still small but they will take off once it stays warm.

Penny

• flowergirl34
    12 years ago

HI! I'm all rsvp'd for my 1st "in person" swap :)
    MIL (Shirley) and my daughter (Taylor, she's 7) are all coming! :)

We're all really excited about the White Elephant swap and Taylor is picking out her very own white elephant gift to swap. She's so excited!

I'm going to start getting my list together this weekend of what I'm bringing.

Remy, I have a Japanese Sky Pencil Holly that I could bring. It's about 5 years old (so it will be in a bucket :) ), but the bunnies have been trimming it back :(...maybe it will do better at your church. And I can stick something bunny proof in its place. Just let me know.

I'm also thinking about bringing it's partner with me so I may have 2 of these.

I would also like to do some pre-trading...feel free to check out my list and see if there's anything your interested in. And I LOVE IRIS'...Heirlooms especially, but really, if I see one, I pretty much have to have it. :)

Just drop me an email and let me know.

Thanks! and can't wait to "meet" everyone!! :)
    vina

• armyprincess1116_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

Does anyone have a blackberry or raspberry bush or cutting to share?

Thanks much!

• remy_gw
    12 years ago

Vina,
    Great! it will be nice to meet you in person.

Penny,
    Thanks!

Nan,
    I have Triple Crown Thornless blackberry. I'll bring some potted cutting for you. They root super easy.
    Remy

• gottagarden
    12 years ago

Hey Remy, I have some shrubs, yews and another like a golden cypress, the name eludes me at the moment. They're great plants, but the deer love them and every winter they get chewed down. So they look bad now, but will grow back by the end of the season. I was going to throw them out but you can have them if you want them. I'll warn you they don't look good now, blame the deer! So you may not want them. I'll try to find the name for you.

• nixon
    12 years ago

hello, unable to come this year, moving my youngest to indianopolis, drat... once again i am looking to give away a large amount of plants if anyone will be in the letchworth area, hostas plain green 50-100? orange poppys, and mix no mold tall phlox, kiss me over the garden gate and tall german bearded iris, other stuff in smaller quantities, have a blast at the exchange, sorry to miss it

• garden_frog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Cathy, I was wondering why I hadn't heard from you!! Sorry you can't make it. :(

Brenda, I might have a few tomatoes for you. They are a bit leggy, but I think they'll do.

Remy, I've got some shrubs set aside for you.

Vina, I'm an iris collector myself. (As are a few of the other attendees.) I'll set a few aside for you.

• garden_frog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Brenda, do you by any chance have Savannah Sunset Iris? I saw it yesterday and wanted it!!

I've got my exchange list updated. I will probably have a few more things as I go through the rest of my beds later this week. But this is a start of what I've already got ready to go.

Here is a link that might be useful: My exchange list

• hilde_wny
    12 years ago

Brenda, I have a lot of daffodils that were here when we bought the house 8 years ago. They manage with no care at all in the edge of the woods. I have no idea what types they are or if they are rare at all. I also have hyacinths, same thing. If you are interested I can dig some up for you. How many do you want?

Hilde

• hilde_wny
    12 years ago

I will bring tomato and pepper plants. GOOD varieties, not those you get in the nursery!
    I have oregano, and mint, daffodils, lots of daylilies, perhaps an Apache blackberry bush, I can dig up rosa rugosa for those who would like it. I have lots of iris, all of them from previous plantswaps!

I would love to have more peonies and roses. :-)

Can't wait to see everyone!

Hilde

• gottagarden
    12 years ago

Hi Hilde, I would love some daffodils. I grow fancy ones in a cutting garden, and regular ones in the lawn. They grow really strongly in my lawn, I skip a few mowings to let the greens store up food. Would love hyacinths also! Will have some peonies, smaller this year, but they'll grow.

• flowergirl34
    12 years ago

Hi! I am so sorry to have to post this, but I will be unable to attend on Sunday. I just picked my daughter up from school about an hour ago. She's vomiting and has the stomach bug (its been going around at school and I've been holding my breath till she got it) OF COURSE! She gets it the weekend we have plans.

When I got the call I was actually outside setting up my pots with dirt for transplants. I am so sorry and very upset that I won't be making it :(

I have a couple of side trades I was suppose to be doing on Sunday as well. If you still want to do them I'd be happy to mail the plants. It's okay if you don't want to too.

I soooo apologize to everyone!
    I hope you all have a super time!!
    vina

• hilde_wny
    12 years ago

Hi Brenda, I will come with daffodils and hyacinths for you, and thanks a bunch for bringing peonies! The Karl Lagerfeld I got from you two years ago is still small, but has always been healthy and this year it will flower for the first time! I can't wait to see it!

• rosalinda_gw
    12 years ago

Thanks Tara for hosting another wonderful swap. It was an absolutely delightful day, from start to finish. You are filled with kindness, warmth and generosity.

Thanks to all who brought such amazing plants, food, gifts and friendship. It was a beautiful day all the way around.

-Rosalinda

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner