Return to the Upstate New York Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone want some Strawberry&Cream Ribbon Grass?

Posted by qbirdy z5 Central NY (My Page) on
Sun, May 15, 05 at 18:18

For local pickup? Or maybe I could deliver in Oswego County. I've been digging this plant out, its Strawberries&Cream ribbon grass, its pretty but invasive in my flower garden. Covered a 4'x6' area in 2 years. If you are interested send me an email, tag it "ribbon grass" or post here. I don't want anything for it, just to get rid of it, lol. I've some ready to go!

Lenore

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone want some Strawberry&Cream Ribbon Grass?

I looked up pictures of the grass you have and it looks really pretty! I wish I lived closer (I live nearish to Watertown) or could justify (to my husband) spending gas to come down and pick some up! Ha! :)

We have recently moved into the house I grew up in and have very nice neighbors who have a four year old little boy. He likes to wander over and play with our boys all the time which is fine but I'd like some privacy once-in-a-while, too. I've been thinking of putting in some type of fast-growing grass to make a screen between our houses. Would you recommend your grass for that type of thing? If so then maybe that will be enough justification to come down and get some from you! ;) The spot I'm thinking of is fairly swampy most of the growing season so I think it would do well there. I originally thought of pampas grass but there aren't many types that are hardy in zone 4.

Thanks.

o

• Posted by qbirdy z4/5 Central NY (My Page) on
    Mon, May 16, 05 at 17:27

The grass only gets 3 to 3 1/2' tall, but seems to get taller each year. It covers the ground quickly once established, and I love the sound of it when the wind blows through it. I just wish it had better manners! LOL!
Use the trick for a road trip I use, I always want to go to the Regional Market in Syracuse, sure its a drive but well worth it! Its getting into swing and there are all kinds of plants available there. I'm planning on going there Saturday! Sometimes they have nice ornamental grasses, and Hafners Farm Market on Taft Rd has a lot of nice tall ornamentals too.

o

I had never heard of the regional market until today! It sounds awesome. We will definitely have to make it down there sometime. My husband wants to go this weekend but we just don't have the money for it right now (and I'll want to spend money!). ;)

I imagine we'll go sometime within the next few weeks. We'll go right by Pulaski so maybe I can stop in then if you still have any grass leftover. Would that be ok?

Thanks for the info!

o

• Posted by qbirdy z4/5 Central NY (My Page) on
    Tue, May 17, 05 at 9:46

Sure, just let me know when you'll stop in, I'll save some grass for you :)

Lenore

o

Woohoo! Thanks! :)I love anything variegated. Not a whole heck of a lot of grasses are hardy where I live.

o

Joygarden, I am in Watertown too. I don't have any tall grsses, but may have some other leftovers in a week or two. I just gave away a ton of rose bushes. We moved here last November so are redoing all of the gardens this year.

I have tons of in and outdoor plants. It is like a jungle in my house.

I just hope it gets warm soon.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from New York are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Upstate New York Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here