Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garden_frog

wanted: 4th annual wny plant swap - what are you bringing???

garden_frog
16 years ago

OK folks, we're less than a week from the swap. What's everyone bringing??

I have my usual stuff...lots of iris, coneflowers, mrs. moon (pulmonaria), bee balm (red), lemon balm, small rose of sharons, obediant plant, and primrose.

If any one is looking for anything in particular, please post it, as I won't be doing a ton of digging (since anything that isn't taken I'll end up moving), but I'd be happy to share if I know someone is looking for something in particular.

Comments (22)

• lilylouise
    16 years ago

I've already been digging and dividing stuff for the swap so I"ll be bringing lady's mantle, sweet woodruff, bergenia, penstemon-huckster, transcencantia, ajuga, a tiny hosta, chocolate joe-pye weed, a deep burgundy sedum, creeping veronica, campanula, columbine, lemon balm, and borage. I also could bring either yellow or pink sundrops, sweet cecily, ribbon grass, purple palace heurchura, moonbeam coreopsis.
    The tomatoes have had a bumpy ride this year and are less than stellar but I'll bring a few along-poor things!
    I'm really looking forward to seeing you all again-Ruthie

• remy_gw
    16 years ago

Hi,
    I'm bringing lots of stuff as usual. I WSed(winter sowed) many things that germinated exceptionally well that I plan on bringing. Please take a look at my list to see if there is anything you would like and let me know. Just because it is on the list doesn't mean it is coming : ) Look in the middle of the Plants I Have to Trade list right after the WNY---WNY---WNY.
    Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: My Trade Page

• remy_gw
    16 years ago

Moving up : )

• gottagarden
    16 years ago

I will be bring dahlias (arabian night, lilac rose, orange-yellow, and more), seedlings of knautia macedonica, beautiful german bearded iris, and lots more. If you want something from my trade list, please request it because otherwise I will just be bringing whatever I get around to digging up.

Oh, and I'll be bringing almond shortcake for dessert.(yummy)

Here is a link that might be useful: gottagarden's exchange page

• gottagarden
    16 years ago

Does anyone have Phlox 'David'? I can grow it from 4 inch cuttings. It is a good idea to cut back phlox at this time of year to encourage it to be bushier with stronger stems. If you are willing to do this, I would love the cuttings. (just bring in a cup of water.) Thanks for considering!

• gottagarden
    16 years ago

OK - you can tell I'm in swap mode now :-)

Does anyone want a 2 year old catalpa tree seedling? (2 feet tall) If so let me know and I'll bring it. Otherwise I'll take it to our garden club's plant sale.

• gottagarden
    16 years ago

Sick of me yet? Me again! I've been testing gardenweb email, and as usual, it doesn't seem to be working :-( I have sent emails to people for swaps, copying myself, but none of my copies have come through. So . . . . hoping people are reading this, here are so pre-arranged swaps I would love to do. If interested respond here, since postings always seem to work.

Lilylouise - swap a tiny hosta for ??? see my trade list
    Glen/river birch - swap a zebra grass for ??? see my trade list
    Penny - swap agastache bubblemint and salvia black and blue for lobelia vedrariensis (like purple l. cardinalis - hummers love it.) Have cuttings of buddleia nanho purple and potters purple. Also, those lily of the valley for my friend. See my swap list and hopefully find something you want.

Sorry to keep pestering everyone, I'm now in swap mode and will spend the next few days digging up treasures for the swap.

Thanks in advance!

• garden_frog
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Brenda, I've got some Phlox David for you. I got several Phlox last year and David was one of them. Now I just need to go out and determine which it was. I'll be moving it with me, so if I can divide it, I will, otherwise, you are more than welcome to as many cuttings as you'd like!!

• lilylouise
    16 years ago

Brenda: I'll set aside the hosta for you in exchange for some german iris.
    Tara: If you have enough of the david I'd like to trade something too.

• garden_frog
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OK Ruthie, I'll see what I can come up with on the David. Would you do cuttings or you just want it if it's a division? Do you want any other phlox or just David? I know I have some others that I could dig some divisions of. Let me know! :) As far as trading me anything for it, don't worry about it. I'm not going to take much of anything this year becasue it's all the more i'll have to move.

• gottagarden
    16 years ago

OK Lilylouise, I'll bring some iris in bloom so you can see what you're getting. thanks!

• husky004_
    16 years ago

Im bringing sweet autumn clematis, some easter lilies, cosmos sweet sensation, candy lilies, william guinness columbine and whatever else I can salvage from my garden.

• party_music50
    16 years ago

Like every other year, I wish it were closer so that I could attend this swap! :)

gottagarden: I didn't realize that phlox can be started from cuttings! Just out of curiosity, can you tell me if you root them in water, potted, or what?!

• gottagarden
    16 years ago

I dip the ends in rooting hormone, then put them directly in the ground in the shade of a larger plant. Keep the ground moist for a few weeks. I tried it on a lark last year and to my surprise they all rooted. This year I'm going to try again with more of my favorites.

If anyone wants to bring phlox cuttings, we can swap phlox cuttings as well as plants.

• lucy925
    16 years ago

Hi all, Among other things, goats beard, creeping sedum (a yellow-orange), cranesbill, knock-out rose, coreopsis(Zagreb) Iris (white), bulbs from purple spring flower(will try to find out name from friend. Lovely this time of year, then foliage dies out and everything looks gone til next year. Anyone have an idea to the name? See you all soon, Linda

• remy_gw
    16 years ago

Hi All,
    Taking a break from digging! I just got the huge Siberian clump up. Holy Toledo! what a job that was. Anyway, I stuck a piece of my Miss Linguard phlox maculata aka Carolina phlox in a pot that broke off last spring and it rooted. Someone at the last swap took it home. I can bring some pieces in water Saturday. It is like David but earlier. Phlox carolina also doesn't get mildew if you have that problem.
    Remy

• garden_frog
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Brenda, I found the Phlox David last night. Miraculously it was one of the only phlox that the tag made it through the winter. I planted so much last year, I can't remember which varieties went where so I was so relieved to see the tag still there on that one!! Especially since all but one of the the other phlox I planted were missing the tags! :) Anyhow, it's pretty small for a division, but I do think we can snip some off! I do have Laura that's ready for division though as well as another variety I am not sure the name of. I know you have a gazillion plants though so I wasn't sure if you were only looking for David or if you wanted other varieties as well. I also have a variagated phlox that's nice. I keep getting about half of it growning back non-varigated though, so I'm not sure if it will stay true. Anyhow, let me know if you want any or all.

Also, have you heard from mulchy at all? I included her in the email because I know she's attended for the last few years and I hadn't heard back from her. Just wanted to make sure she was allright!

• gottagarden
    16 years ago

Unfortunately Mulchy will not be able to make it. Too bad for all of us since she brought so many nice plants last year. She has a lot going on and they are planning to go to her cottage at the lake this weekend.

David is the one I am mostly interested in. I have a variegated phlox with pink flowers that I got from Mulchy a couple of years ago. If yours has anything other than pink flowers, then I am interested! One more for the collection ;-)

Thanks a bunch Tara!

• hammerl
    16 years ago

gottagarden,

I'd be interested in the german bearded iris and agastache on your list. I don't think I've got a lot of plants that you list, but I've potted up some tiny Hosta Rock Princess, if you're interested, and I've got a bunch of other stuff.

• lilylouise
    16 years ago

Tara,
    No prob with 'david' I'll try cuttings if there are enough to go around. I have a couple of pink phlox I can take cuttings from if anyone is interested. Also I have a spare caryopteris I can dig for the right person. lol.
    Ruthie

• gottagarden
    16 years ago

hammerl, thanks! I would love hosta rock princess. Not to brag, but wait until you see the gorgeous iris I will bring. They are in bloom now and doing exceptionally well this year. I will look for some agastache. Every year they have self-seeded, but last year I dead-headed them early because of the stink-bugs.

Ruthie, my caryopteris died this year. Not sure why, because I did wait until spring to cut them back, I know they are like lavender that way. Are they just naturally short-lived? Want even more german iris :-)? I spent hundreds of dollars on them initially, getting the latest and fanciest from a specialty iris farm in California. In order to get my money's worth, I give lots away every year so others can enjoy them. Last year I gave lots to Tara, so hopefully we'll see them in her garden this year. For a long time I was in an "iris phase". (now it's lilies and clematis)

I will also have dahlias tomorrow. These are the swans. They look like ugly, mis-shapen potatoes today, but I promise they turn into care-free blossom heavy beauties by late July. I have only just started planting mine, so it is definitely not too late to plant them. Keep that in mind when you look at the grungy paper bags they come in.

Can't wait to see everyone tomorrow!

• garden_frog
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I can vouch for Brenda's iris! They are so gorgeous, they are on my list of plants to move with me!!

I'm about to post a few pictures of some of the iris as well as other plants I've recieved from our swaps here:

Here is a link that might be useful: Plants from the WNY swaps