Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
harebelle

Anyone in Upstate have Experience with Bur Oak?

harebelle
19 years ago

Hi,

I've decided that I really, really like quercus macrocarpa/bur oak. I've hunted information on this stately tree, and have found everything but local experience with it. Conditions are suitable for this slow-growing, long-lived tree. Except that I'd really like to hear from someone Upstate who has it!

I've gone through the Trees forum, actually, it's where I met the tree. I'm a bit leery of planting a tree that could meet its doom for my ignorance.

Oh yes, it would be planted in a large open area, with a pond nearby. Sometimes the area is smushy from snow melt although it isn't under water. There is a runoff from the pond, plus runoffs that help to drain the area quickly.

If this tree isn't as suitable as I'd like, other recommendations are most welcome. Thanks to any and all!

Comments (6)

• bhrost
    19 years ago

I haven't grown this personally, but it occurs with moderate frequency here in my part of upstate NY along the banks of the Chenango & Susquehanna rivers. It grows to large size and is probably the largest of the native oaks in this area (I've seen a couple of specimens with a trunk circumference of more than 13 feet). It's a very nice tree and has an interesting appearance. The conditions where you plan on putting it sound about right. From my observations, it grows best a bit back from the riverbank proper, on the upslopes or ridges a few feet above river level, which are subject to occasional inundation but aren't permanently waterlogged.

I'd encourage you to go for it and wish you good luck.

• Carol_from_ny
    19 years ago

We had a couple of mature Burr Oaks when I lived in IL. They are rather a slow growing tree. When they die they seem to die from the inside out. Cutting one down is hard work because of the hardness of the wood you need a pro to remove it....and they charge accordingly.
    They do produce acorns so if your not into raking them up or hitting them with your lawnmower I'd suggest planting them at the far corners of the lot.
    They have a massive spread when full grown so be careful not to get them too close to any structure.
    As I said before they have a tendency to die from the inside out and it's not uncommon for a large branch or limb to just fall off. They also produce many small broken branches after wind mild to strong wind storms which end up in the yard....and you end up spending a fair amount of time cleaning up after thme before you can mow.

• harebelle
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Oh, this is excellent.

bhrost, you live in a beautiful place. You seem to admire the same characteristics that drew me, and your observations to placement are most appreciated. And your description of
    it as "very nice tree and has an interesting appearance" are just the things I like to know about a plant I'm considering.

And Carol, thank you for the detailed information on the tree's less desirable characteristics-- stuff I definitely needed to know! Especially its twigging in winds, huge size, and dying from the heart. The place where it's to go is over 2 acres in size-about 3/4 acre is pond, so it'd be up and to one side, but there's still a vast place to accomodate spread. It's meadow, which is no longer mowed, so thankfully I won't be needing to race ahead of the crew to remove fall wood! It has room to grow and spread without interfering with water lines, power lines, nor our outbuildings nor the neighbor's home. I think I'd ought to give it a try.

Kindest thanks to you both!

• orcuttnyc
    19 years ago

Keep in mind..oaks generally grow pretty slow. Should be quite beautifull by the time your about one hundred and fifty.. :)
    I keep planting trees and that's what my wife keeps telling me.
    http://www.naturehills.com/new/product/productdetails.aspx?proname=Bur+Oak

• Carol_from_ny
    19 years ago

Just cause it does take some trees so long to mature we should all think long and hard about where they are planted as well as where we build around them.
    It kills me to see the power companies butcher trees along the powerlines HOWEVER if peeps had thought before they planted....the power company included in this, lower growing decorative trees would be planted to replace the stately oaks and maples of say 50 yr.s ago.

• harebelle
    Original Author
    19 years ago

orcuttnyc, I hear the same thing! My family thinks I'm beyond saving with my plantings that won't mature until long after I'm gone. I still like knowing they're there. That's a great online catalogue. Have you had experience with Nature Hills? They certainly have a mouthwatering selection!

And Carol, you touched on a real sore point-the power lines. Thankfully, my tree won't have them as a concern. But other trees on the property when we bought it, lovely, mature trees growing too near the highway, were horribly maimed by the nicking. And the limbs so cruelly cut weren't anywhere near the lines. One tree was hacked naked about half its limbs. And the power lines run several meters BELOW the cuts. You are SO right, consideration of just where the tree is must be made.

I, for one, would prefer the power lines be buried under the highway. And for the gardeners whose lines are already underground, PLEASE check with your utility company BEFORE digging.

Carol, I have a ton of open area, and have thought a single bur oak would be a super tree to fill in a hunk of that space. Just one massive tree. In about 150 years, of course!

Huge enormous thanks for the input-and do keep it coming. The more I learn, the more ignorant I find I am. :~)