Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hooti_gw

First signs of spring!

Hooti
19 years ago

Walmart in Batavia has their seed starting kits and Walmart brand seeds out!

LVX

Vavsie

Here is a link that might be useful: My web site

Comments (57)

• hammerl
    19 years ago

Penny,

I saw a fly in my house last week when it was still cold out. I think they just manage to overwinter somewhere and drive me crazy :)

I haven't seen any certain signs of spring yet, but I'm hopeful. Yesterday's warm weather really gave me spring fever.

• LNMP
    19 years ago

The birds are thinking spring, too - I had a male cardinal singing from the top of a tree yesterday morning! It was a gorgeous day.

• starmoon
    19 years ago

It was a beauty yesterday. There were robins sitting all over the place on snow banks. I feel bad for the poor things... One of my friends also told me she found a wooly bear caterpiller crawling around her basement! I hope this warm up doesn't spoil our bulbs!

• penny1947
    19 years ago

hammerl
    now you just burst my bubble! i was hoping that was good sign.

starmoon
    Don't the caterpillars come out in the spring???? I could be wrong (I usually am). when I see green grass again I am going to hope for the best.

Penny

• cats39
    19 years ago

Hi All!

Got out early from work this afternoon 14:00 / 02:00 PM 2/7 and had the dog out in the backyard. After reading about fly's and wooly bears, I can't say Im surprised to see that the mosquitoes were a buzzin'.

It's 50 degrees F now at 16:30 / 04:30 PM and from the looks of things we've got 2 more mild days to go before we get back to winter, and have to put this "first signs" back to bed for awhile :>(

I feel for you WS'er's knowing you've put a lot of work in your seed stock.

We'll probably be back when I see my first flock of "Redwings".

Jim

• lblack61
    19 years ago

I don't think the thaw hurts the WS seeds. They just start getting more humidity in their containers and when it gets cold, they'll freeze up again. I would imagine that is a particularly good thing for seeds that need to be shook up a bit to germinate.
    It was so nice today I checked my containers that weren't in the mound of snow and put them in a bag because they just weren't getting the level of condensation I wanted to see.
    I also saw a bud on my Lenten Rose!!!!!!! It will be my first one :-) It will probably be covered in mounds of snow before I ever get to see it opened.

• penny1947
    19 years ago

Jim.
    freeze/thaw is good for us winter sowers. It helps to break dormancy at the appropriate time. Yes we may lose a few seedlings due to premature germination but the rest will be much hardier. Last year I think I only lost about a half dozen seedlings overall and that was later due to dry out. I had seedlings sprout in Feb. that stayed in their little container through our 2 or 3 days when it went down to -20 windchill and they held up beautifully until I transplanted them in the spring.

Penny

• cats39
    19 years ago

Penny
    You wrote: I had seedlings sprout in Feb. that stayed in their little container through our 2 or 3 days when it went down to -20 windchill and they held up beautifully until I transplanted them in the spring.

That's pretty amazing. I haven't gotten into trying to get all of the details behind WS, yet...... In fact I was more or less unaware of WS until just a few months ago.

I used to plant seeds years ago for an older women who was my neighbor at the time. She grew up on a farm on Long Island and when I planted the seeds for her she always refrigerated them first. Which indirectly is part of the WS technique.

I also remember a neighbor who always planted his beefsteak tomatoe seeds on Christmas Day directly to the ground.

I do have a couple of containers that would work nicely and hope to try out a couple of things "very" soon before winter is over. I'll let everyone know how I make out.

Your (WS) words are very encouraging.

Thanks Jim

• nyvoices99
    19 years ago

Hi All,
    Back to snow & bitter cold again, But on the bright side I do have crocus, tulips & daffodils that think spring is here, I truly believe we are going to have an early spring, I have seen tons of Robin's & my Blue Birds are in & out of there house's, I hope so, I am OVER winter,
    :)Anita

• penny1947
    19 years ago

anita,
    i am so OVER winter too. I saw a chicadee checking out one of their regular nesting boxes the other day before it turned cold and started snowing AGAIN. Temps here look to be about in the low to mid 30's for most of the rest of the month so that isn't too bad.

Penny

• jannie
    19 years ago

My favorite weatherman is my dear husband Vic. He has a degree in atmospheric sciences from SUNY at Albany, plus four years as a weather observer in the Air Force. He told me just yesterday that "the worst of winter is over. It's not going to snow or get colder." Thanks, sweetie.(((XXX)))

• penny1947
    19 years ago

Well I am hoping he is right. Seeing lots of small signs of spring even though the temps are up and down. At least they aren't consistently low. The snow thanks to the rain yesterday is gone now from the front bed. I can see my Jacob's ladder babies that were sown last year. They already appear to have new green growth sprouting up. Sweet William is looking pretty robust also.

Penny

• lblack61
    19 years ago

I put leaves over my sweet william in the fall, although it still insisted on poking through, I look at it today, and it is still very green. I had never heard of Sweet William before last year, but it was my most favorite find of the season. I'm WSing lots of it because I love it so much-- including seeds I harvested from it... (my first attempt at seed gathering :-).

• cats39
    19 years ago

Hi All! (As posted to Journey North)

With the unusually warm weather weÂve had I posted my first sighting of a Robin yesterday 2/16 to Journey North*. It was the earliest sighting over a many year period. I realize that many living in a country setting observe Robins all through the Winter. But, for urbanites and sub-urbanites living in developments like myself seeing your first Robin so close to Spring is refreshing.

Yet today 2/16, with temps in the 50's F yesterday and 42 F as was this morning at 05:00 AM a first of all firsts happened as I was out collecting some of our pet dogs droppings that surfaced through the melting snow.
    As I was searching through the snow pack a familiar glistening figure was partially sticking out. As not to harm, I carefully removed the surrounding snow with my garden trowel as would an archeologist on an important dig.

Low and behold it was a pink, as I call them wax-worm. Not a redworm, or larger earth worm, but a pink wax-worm about 4" long. ( I use these for trout fishing and they make an excellent trout bait.) As I held it in the palm of my hand the immediate warmth was all telling, as it began to waken from a stupor.

I carried it to an area without snow and placed it under some leaves. I continued with my chore and several minutes later looked again under the leaves and the worm was gone. Four inches of snow predicted today so it's back to Winter, I hope the worm survives?

I hope you find this sighting worth reporting coming from Zone 5 in generally colder and snowier Central New York.

Spring canÂt be that far away for us! Have a great day!

Minoa is Just outside of Syracuse NY

As an add on for those of us who live in upstate NY there have been only two other first worm sightings to Journey North*.

02/08/05 Brentwood TN 36 -86.79
    02/13/05 Fort Walton Beach FL 30.45 -86.63
    *Journey North is involved with many school projects as a means of introducing our children to environmentally sound ideas.

• penny1947
    19 years ago

Cats,
    did you report your worm siting to Journey North? last year I was the first in this area to report my first hummer.

Penny
    Who is hoping that this next winter cold snap will be short lived and warmer days on the way.

• cats39
    19 years ago

Hi Penny and All!

Yes I did report the sighting to Journey North. I thought it was somewhat unusual seeing a worm in Feb. in CNY, and in the snow of all places. It was burrowing back as the head and most of its body was beneath the snow cover and in a state of suspension. After holding it in my hand it began to move, maybe Cryogenics does work :>)

I also reported to JN a Bald Eagle that flew over the developement on Christmas Morning 2004.

JN did post a newsletter on Hummingbirds on Feb 10th. Did you get it?

And I hope you happened to see the PBS broadcast on Cuba a couple of weeks ago to see the "Beehummingbird". It's no bigger than a dragon fly. If you take into account its beak and tail that's pretty darn small. It can only be found in the Pine Islands of Cuba. It was amazing. I think I still have an internet photo of it next to a dragon fly if by chance you didn't get a chance to see.

We moved from Syracuse last year and into a small developement in Minoa and had Hummers off our deck at a sugar/water feeder during the Summer. I've really taken to, as some would call it, the (beautiful) "Invasise" 4 O'clock. A good hummer attractor and in the still air gives off a great aroma in the evening.

Our 4" of snow today turned out to be 1" of heavy wet slush. Hope you all faired as well. Of course that's easy for a non-skier too say.

It's presently 43 days 'til the first of April and hopefully the snow will be gone. I can't wait.

• misstish64
    19 years ago

Okay, the tete-a-tetes are poking their noses up out of the ground, but this morning I saw a TRUE sign of spring...the Albany city street cleaner drove down my street! I heard the noise and thought, no, could it be? When I rushed to the front window I was so happy to see him. I don't care if any neighbors saw me cheering, they think I'm nuts already. The street cleaners don't come in the winter, so even though there were very light flurries this AM I don't care- I'm now sold on spring. YAHOOOOO!

• penny1947
    19 years ago

cats,
    I missed the PBS report on the Bee Hummer! I fell asleep before it came on and I was so hoping to see it. I hang at least 5 feeders out starting in mid april with one and then increasing the count as they arrive. I also have 4:00's. since they reseed so prolifically I don't have to plant them anymore and I have enough seed for the whole northeast. my hummers don't go to it as much probably because I have other plants that produce more nectar than the 4:00's like my salvias and agastaches and scarlet runner beans. Yes I get the JN newsletter for all the updates every week. When they start this time of the year I know spring isn't far away. The Monarch migration has already started and the hummers usually follow them so we should start seeing little dots on the map in the next week to 10 days.

misstish64
    we don't see our street cleaners out in the winter either. Right now I am only seeing sun but that is a good thing! i did have some daffs poking up about a half inch the other day too.
    Penny

• tomtuxman
    19 years ago

CATS39, I am so amazed that you already had a robin sighting in Z5! My earliest robin in Z6 over the last few years has been St. Paddy's day, and I have yet to see one this year.

On the other hand, my daffs, crocuses (croci?)and some other bulbs are beginning to emerge.

For anyone with serious cabin fever and lust-for-Spring, try Wintersowing! It rocks!

• Hooti
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Spring is not here but I think it will be an early one.

During the brief spring tuesday( gee sure hope that wasnt it *grin*) I found "snowdrops" blooming, and checked my hepaticas (first year and they make me nervous being evergreen) which have come through with flying colors. My Jacob's ladder thinks it is evergreen too.

I have had a couple winter sows germinate in the unheated porch-should be okay now that it is cold again, and they are going outside next "warm" spell.

I am going to jacksonville next week and shall expect spring when I get back. But I am learning to ski so I am fine either way. (lies lies lies)

Pax
    Laurette

• cats39
    19 years ago

Hi All!

For those who would be interested in seeing the smallest hummingbird species in the world the Cuban Bee Hummingbird, Mellisuga helenae, measures 5-6 cm in length (2.0-2.4 inches) and weighs a mere 1.6-1.9 grams (roughly 3/4 of an ounce).

Go to:
    http://www.worldbirder.com/photonew/xpages/photo.asp?PhotoID=168

• penny1947
    19 years ago

thanks Cats
    what a beautiful little guy!
    penny

• jannie
    19 years ago

Easter candy for sale always makes me happy waiting for spring.

• penny1947
    19 years ago

The redwing blackbird has started its migration so that is definitely a good sign. the Monarch Buffterfly migration has also started.

Penny

• lblack61
    19 years ago

Is there any other bird that has a rust colored chest other than a robin? If not, I just had a bunch of robins in my lilac bush this afternoon (about 4-5). I couldn't get a confirmation on it from DH because he didn't get outside or to a window in time.
    Maybe I'm just delirious.

• penny1947
    19 years ago

there have been a large number of robin sitings this winter here in western NY. You may very well have robins.

Penny

• robbiezone5
    19 years ago

we were at the upstate house this past weekend --- and the weekend before. i've been seeing a lot of the geese coming back. i always think of this as a sign of spring. also, i think i saw a robin fly by as we were driving around. but... then it snowed. and snowed. and snowed some more for good measure. it's hard to not get all antsy for spring. i have big plans this growing season -- and i can't wait to get out and dig up some dirt! but for now... all attention is on tending to the "inside projects" --- painting rooms, installing new electrical fixtures, and such...

• hammerl
    19 years ago

I've seen a lot of ducks and geese flying lately. Made me real optimistic before the storms this week. Having cleared the driveway for the umpteenth time in the past 72 hours, I wouldn't know if my bulbs were emerging or not anymore.

• tomtuxman
    19 years ago

So I saw my first robin on Saturday March 5. I excitedly called a friend who claims he saw thousands of robins migrating northward a few days ago while he was working on the railroad near Peekskill/Montrose area. Then he saw a Cooper's hawk nail one in mid-air.

• robt3006
    19 years ago

Niagra county here.Heard the first redwing blackbird this morning before getting in my truck.There was a flock of geese that flew over early this evening I hope they were migrants.Best of luck to all.Rob

• penny1947
    19 years ago

Robert,
    i am also in Niagara Cty. Thank you for reporting that you heard your first redwing blackbird this morning. Spring cant be far away now. As for the geese. I thought they all migrated south for the winter but this year I have seen quite a few at various times in the vicinity of Elicott Creek in Tonawanda and over into Niagara County. I know that a lot of the creeks haven't frozen solid this year. i wonder if this is part of the effect of global warming.

penny

• gottagarden
    19 years ago

Saw my first bluebird, drinking from our gutter. Last year they seemed to be here through the winter, but this is the first I've seen this year. (near Batavia)

• hammerl
    19 years ago

For what it's worth, I saw my first wedge of Canada geese headed north yesterday. Also passed some in front of the University Inn on North Forest in Williamsville -- a popular spot last summer for geese, but hadn't seen them on the lawn there since October.

I also saw what I'm pretty sure was a blue heron in Ellicott Creek yesterday at lunchtime as I drove past (they're a little hard to miss).

And finally... while I'm not seeing other spring birds yet, I'm seeing fewer of the species that flock to my feeders in winter -- dark-eyed juncos, pine siskins, and even fewer black-capped chickadees than before.

• Carol_from_ny
    19 years ago

First signs of spring around here....the first batch of new lambs have been born, skunks are out roaming in the evening,the chickens are starting to lay more eggs and our stack of firewood is nearly gone.

• penny1947
    19 years ago

Carol
    those are all very good signs. I love seeing the baby lambs and it is good to know the skunks are emerging too...i used to have a pet skunk when I was growing up and they are so cute especially they babies. We had a huge one around here a couple of years ago and i do mean HUGE. This thing was as big as an average size cat but with much thicker fur. he showed up about a foot from the front door one night as I was on my way over to the next door neighbor's house for our weekend bonfire. Needless to say I let him scavenge to his hearts content while I waited safely inside for him to leave.

Penny

• cats39
    19 years ago

Hi All!

Just thought I'd post a note while waiting for today's 3/13 snow to stop falling. I keep on saying this March weather seems more than unusual. Am I wrong? I know we've had inches of snow in April and for some reason that certain likelyhood sounds more depressing than ever. We are at 129.7" of snowfall for the season making us 33.3" above normal for this time of year with most of it coming after Feb 17.

But thoughts of "Holy cow!" is Spring closeby came on Friday 3/11 while my wife and I were visiting friends in their new home in Camillus NY/just outside of Syracuse. We were overtaken taken by an amazing Springlike surprise. If one were looking for "the first Signs of Spring" this was it.

We'd met for an early fish dinner and then back to their home for a visit. When I walked into their newly painted kitchen I felt rather bad after saying how nice and bright, because my attention was almost immediately drawn to the outside backyard. I could see a number of Robins and when I got closer to the window to get a panoramic view there was a flock of at least 150 Robins. We stood at the window with our friends trying to count. It was impossible with all of the frenzy of flying back and forth among the trees. The 150 count is just an uneducated estimate. There may have been more?

Heavy drizzling fog like snow was coming down at about 05:30 PM and the Robins were feasting on cone like seeds that I think were Sumac, but am not sure? It was the first time I, or my wife and friends have ever seen anything like it. It was as I said amazing. The greatest amount of Robins I've ever seen in a group before was less than 20, and that was during fall migration.

Can Spring be that far away? Speaking for those of us who live in CNY and seeing in many cases, feet of snow in their yards, I think our thought's might be those of not being to sure?

But keep plugging Mr. and Mrs. Robin Redbreast, April 1st will be here before we know it, and please stay visible to keep giving us those First Signs of Spring HOPE.

And to our migrating fine Feathered Friends who visit CNY yearly, and for those of us who live here year round it's only 18 days 'til the First of April. We can't wait either.

Jim

• hammerl
    19 years ago

Robin sighting in Erie County! At lunch I looked out back and there were a lot of robins hanging out in the trees, looking a little plump and chilled. They were eating some berries or something in the neighbor's tree and rooting around under the other neighbor's willow and running rampant through my flower bed.

• penny1947
    19 years ago

Well they are getting closer to my house hammerl!

Even though it was only 25 degrees out yesterday, I did take a quick walk around the yard where some of the snow had melted. I have bulbs coming up. I think one are the million bells that I ordered from Brecks last year. I believe it ia in the allum family. The other bulbs that have emerged I am not sure about because I don't remember what I planted! Also one of the rooted cutting of my weigelia appears to have started budding out. All the others are still snow covered to I didn't disturb them lest I break one off. I also checked the ten day forgast and it appears that we are in for a slow but sure warm up at least for the next 10 days. I thought my Helleborus was dust after the last snow store as all the leaves turned black. But I think it is starting to come back from the crown...I HOPE SO as I am so anxious to see it bloom. As soon as that happens I will know that spring is here!

Penny

• penny1947
    19 years ago

Another sure sign of spring for me is the sprouting of my wintersown containers. I just checked some of my containers and my native columbine is up even thought the current temp is 23 degrees.

Penny

• tomtuxman
    19 years ago

Penny1947, that's unreal! When did you sow your columbines?

• penny1947
    19 years ago

Tom,
    I sowed the columbine seeds on Jan. 15th. Two months to the day. I did a second container on the 25th. of Jan. but I don't think that any of those have sprouted yet.

Penny

• cats39
    19 years ago

Hi All!

Everything is GREEN today. Happy St. Patrick's Day!

• penny1947
    19 years ago

Right back atcha CATS!

Penny

• cats39
    19 years ago

Hi All!

The seemingly narrow path we took from Hooti's Jan 8th post of "The First Signs of Spring" (at Walmart) have finally widened. From our counting Week's and Day's 'til Spring it's now just Hours and Minutes away. It is the prelude to awakening and the eventual peeping of life and of what's to come from the soil we all love upon Spring's arrival.

Let's hope that we continue to have nice weather in CNY as the snow is melting away and that by April 1st, which is ONLY 11 DAYS AWAY, our blanket of snow will be gone from our Garden's and Yards.

Then, like Hooti, when we drive to Wally Worlds Garden Store (or our local Nurseries) we will only see the snow banks that are left in the parking lots. For us it will be the final closure to the Winter of 2004-05.

Have a great Spring Season.

Jim

• penny1947
    19 years ago

Hey everyone
    I saw my first 2 earthworms of the season today while cleaning up debris in the yard. At first I thoght they were dead as I was pushing snow around so it would melt quicker but they quickly retreated back into their holes. I also saw my first skunk of the season today. I think spring has sprung even here in western NY.

Penny

• cats39
    19 years ago

Your right Penny!

Spring is on the wing. I saw my first Killdeer, another large flock of Robins on the RT 481 exit at Kirkville, my first large flock of Redwings (200 or so) and was really surprised to see my first Turkey Vulture.

Spring is really here!

• tomtuxman
    19 years ago

On Saturday, itchin' to get out in the garden, I grabbed a rake and started scratching away at very wet debris. Lo and behold, I saw a big housefly, a wasp (sorta reddish one, weird), an earthworm, and a couple small beetles. Many, many birds creating a cacaphony, a chorus, a symphony.

About a week ago, about 20 turkey vultures started roosting overnight in my tall pines and spruces. This in the middle of a well-populated village! They slept late on rainy, sleety Sunday and didn't get underway until nearly noon.

Then yesterday evening a red fox crossed my path.

Yep, 'tis Spring!

• penny1947
    19 years ago

Well I was just watering my salvias that I am overwintering in the kitchen and I see something outside the french doors so I look down at the snow and there are 2 flys walking on top of the snow....now that looks strange even for me.

Yesterday afternoon I took a walk out into the front yard and the worms must have been emerging like crazy as I have tiny little holes all over with loose soil all around them. I also so a second skunk that had been hit up on the boulevard.

Penny

• misstish64
    19 years ago

I took a break and went outside today to prune the clematis & cut back the lavender, and lo and behold, a crocus was blooming! Granted, it is in the warmest area of our yard, in a corner between the concrete front steps and the brick wall of our house, but I'll take it!

• faltered
    19 years ago

I saw a few flies outside on Saturday, which I thought was odd. Went and took a peek at the front flower bed to see that my irises are starting to pop up.

No sprouts on my winter sown seeds though.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner