Return to the Upstate New York Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how 'bout this winter weather??

Posted by gottagarden z5 western NY (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 9, 12 at 6:35

Mildest I can remember, anyone else remember such a mild winter?

I've been working in the woods, usually I never have time for it, and in the summer the woods has mosquitoes. I blazed a new trail through wild tangles of that nasty invasive rosa multiflora with my chainsaw. Have been digging drainage ditches for the paths. Caged off some evergreens to protect them from deer. I've started my pruning and plan to move some rock.

I've never gotten so much done in the winter!

Last winter the snow came in early november and I didn't see soil again until mid-March. What a difference!

How about you?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how 'bout this winter weather??

It's been a pleasure not having to roof rake or shovel off my greenhouse ! But we're actually facing a huge risk of frost damage to underground pipes etc. if 20 below zero weather hits with no snow cover !!!

o

I haven't done a lot outside only because the ground has been too wet to go tromping around but I have been able to atleast clean up debris as needed.

o

I admit I spent St. Pat's dayn out in the yard cleaning up and p0ulling weedfs that have taken over duringt the warm winter. I thought I would get a heard start this year.

Anyone else working in the yard yet?

Penny

o

Did I forget to mention that this is my kind of winter!

o

Yup. Been out pulling weeds and planning some plant moves. Leaves are popping on a few shrubs. Amazing. I am tempted to plant some of my cosmos seeds outdoors just to see what happens. Plant some now and more when I normally would. I think I will go ahead with it!

On the down side, reports of ticks are up in upstate. They've never really been a problem around here but beginning this year we will be more careful.

o

I love this weather, but we already have a lot of mosquitoes, I guess the mild winter will effect their population.

o

This was one week of high temperatures, but the weather forecast is now 10 days of about average temperatures with two nights of frost, so watch out!

o

My Red buckeye is leafing out and is getting its very first bloom clusters! I am so excited. I just hope that the drop in temps will not kill my blooms. I have been waitng 4 1/2 yrs to see it finally bloom!!!!!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Upstate New York Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here