Return to the Upstate New York Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Breaking Ice : ( ) by Accidentally Worming.

Posted by CATS39 z5 Upstate NY (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 30, 05 at 7:16

Hi All!

Seeing that were sorta caught up in the period of "Winter Waiting" I hope Im not being a bore? If your interested I sent a follow-up to the Vermicomposting Forum entitled "Accidental Worming".

There was a reply and a link to photos showing small Red Worm Cocoons and another showing the emergence of one of the babies. I found the photo shot's interesting. If youve never seen I hope you would too (?) and the reason for the post.

Were getting closer. Only 60 days til the 1st of April. And according to "Weather Underground" were gaining just about 18 minutes on each end of daylight this week.

By the way I hope you enjoy this weeks Winter Weather in CNY. It appears as though its going to be a more normal one, and you WS'ers might get a chance to see your container's with the possible snow melt. This week surely is going to be more of my kinda winter and one that I dont mind handling. Just to be able to get outside more than ten minutes at a time without freezing to death is going to be exhilarating.

Have a great day and week!
Jim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Breaking Ice : ( ) by Accidentally Worming.

• Posted by CATS39 z5 Upstate NY (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 30, 05 at 8:46

I wrote:

were gaining just about 18 minutes on each end of daylight this week.

That's a TOTAL 18 minutes FROM each end and not 18 minutes
ON each end. Wouldn't it be nice though?

o

• Posted by Kareen z5 NY Renss.Co. (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 30, 05 at 12:23

Hi ,
Jim or anyone , if you know a source for Red Worms in this area could you email me privately and put Red worms in the subject line so I don't think its spam ? Thanks .

Here is a link that might be useful: Our pond and gardens

o

what are red worms?

o

• Posted by CATS39 z5 Upstate NY (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 2, 05 at 5:56

Hi Robbie!

To best answer, you might want to visit the vermicomposting Forum page. I personally never knew of or heard of the word until a few weeks or months ago. But virtually red worms lye beneath our feet in most of NYS soils and as we so often do, we take things like red worms for granted.

I came across the process of realizing the importance of the worm castings created by the red worm in our compost piles by accident. Although Ive never asked it appears that many places either dont have a back yards or a source in able to acquire them and for those red worms are available through purchasing - on average of $20.00 per lb.

To give more detail you might want to check out this link:

http://lancaster.unl.edu/enviro/pest/factsheets/107-97.htm

Have a great Day!
Jim
If you live in CNY dont be fooled - our Ground Hog Day isnt til Mar 2nd :>(

o

thanks for the link, jim. it was VERY informative. thank you!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Upstate New York Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here