Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cats39

A Follow-up on the Osprey Catch

cats39
16 years ago

Hi Remy (Laurlein and all)!

Remy I probably would have fumbled for the camera also, but a stroke of luck came when the Osprey dropped the catch twice before I got the shot. Unlike Bald Eagles if IÂm not mistaken who will prey more on dead carrion floating in the water, as I donÂt think they like getting their feathers wet. The Osprey (or Fish Eagle) will hover and dive into the water for a live catch. ItÂs pretty cool to watch.

On this day of the pic the fish was so big and lively it fell from its grasp twice before it appears it caught the fish in the gill area. IÂm not sure if this Osprey is the Male or Female but with its bright white crest it might be the Male.

Anyway. WeÂve been observing the Osprey over the past two years in this area. The nest theyÂve built is in a cell tower just a short distance away, maybe less than two miles. Last year they seemed to be wary of us but this year they would come as close as 15 to 20 feet over the tree tops.

We also had the unique experience of watching (probably the female) teaching the young one(s) how to fish and then feeding them (possibly two) in nearby trees. On those occasions we were fishing from shore, because on many of those days we didnÂt have time to take our motor boat out to any of the nearby lakes.

Since we did fish the area quite a bit we also noticed when a walker and/or runner came down the trail and they were on the hunt or teaching fishing technique, they would fly a distance away and then return. I guess they had gotten use to us being around. On this occasion of the pic my son and I were fishing from our row boat and lo and behold this Osprey came fishing too as though we werenÂt even there.

When it began to hover just a few feet away my son said, "Dad! Get the camera!" (As when they hover theyÂve got something in their sights.) I replied it would be too late as it dropped to the water. It had the fish hooked. Then shook itÂs feathers a couple of feet above the water and began to fly when the fish released itself. ThatÂs when I began getting the camera and the second hover, catch, shake feathers and drop came about, but I wasnÂt quick enough. By the time I got the lens cover off and camera turned on the third hover and catch already happened.

It all came pretty fast and itÂs too bad I didnÂt get the hover, catch, shaking of the feathers and the fly-by. Now that reall would have been cool. Oh well, maybe next year? But now as I reflect Remy, your right, the reason I didnÂt that full sequence? I was probably fumbling for the camera with excitement :>(

Regards

Jim

BTW: For those who didnÂt see the pic it was posted as "Thought some would be interested." on Fri 1/12.