Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wantoretire_did

Irises are Up!!

wantoretire_did
18 years ago

What is with this weather? I just noticed yesterday that irises are popping up and already a couple of inches out of the ground. What a change from the last 2 winters. Mind you, I'm not complaining, what with the cost of fuel oil......

Carol

Comments (10)

• Chazy
    18 years ago

Good grief! I hope the apple trees don't start to bloom. I did notice that the maple buds are looking rather fat.

Nancy

• shimla
    18 years ago

Same with my forsythia, Nancy! Maybe I should cut a few and bring indoors for a shot of spring!!!

I just came in from raking my beds =) It feels like early April out there. I swear there was a mum in bloom. I was pulling the leaves out of a bed and must have ripped them right off the plant. (I didn't see them with all the leaves). They were fresh yellow blooms - not spent ones left over from the fall by any means.

I'm back going back out now for another go at it for awhile. I'm starting to get very sore and I have blisters from the rake...but it sure feels good to get a start on what I didn't get finished this fall!

• gottagarden
    18 years ago

The weather has been beautiful and I got caught up in the gardens, cutting back and raking up. Things that didn't get done before the snow came and stayed. I even did some transplanting! (figured everything was dormant) I was disturbed to see new growth on columbines, and some daffodil foliage peeking out of the ground. This sure is a nice way to break up winter, getting my hands in the dirt.

I do have blooms though, arctic pansies. When the snow melted they were in bloom under the snow. Incredible. And they should be ready to bloom when spring really comes. I never grew these type before, but I sure am impressed.

• mountain_curmudgeon
    18 years ago

Too wacky. Still have about a foot or so of snow left after the 51 degree temp yesterday up here in the mountains. Back down to 4 below now but it was nice to get a couple of things done in above freezing temps.

• cats39
    18 years ago

Hi All!

Yes! This weather certainly is amazing throughout the country. I saw a Great Blue Heron last week. Hang'er on'er or just one that wouldn't make the trip down I don't know. I hated to see the bird flying knowing we were in for some blistering cold.

wantoretire wrote:

Mind you, I'm not complaining, what with the cost of fuel oil......

The funny thing about that statement (really not so funny is) when I heard the price of Natural Gas was going to increase to 35% to 50% this Winter I shrugged it off by saying we were getting penalized for such a nice Summer.

I analyzed "We all used our Barbecue's to much."

But back to wantoretire's statement.

Luckily you've got the Fuel Oil in the ground as I heard the other day on the radio because we "haven't" used the Natural Gas that was in storage because of the warm weather, National Grid is going to charge it's customer a Sir Charge. How about that?

Now where's this guy Shumer with all of the hot air that comes out of his mouth????

Jim

• kareen
    18 years ago

I am so jealous of all of you . As some of you know we are rehabbing our house and I can't get anywhere near the gardens to work on them. I am sooooooo frustrated! I have always appreciated the patch of land we live on but now even more so. I can't wait for spring and I usually enjoy the winter months.
    I am glad though that all of you were able to get out there and enjoy that beautiful weather and get a head start on the spring garden chores. Kareen

• wantoretire_did
    Original Author
    18 years ago

All I know is our budget reserve is being eaten away at an alarming rate. Next year we will pre-pay in August to get a lower year-long rate.

Carol

• penny1947
    18 years ago

I have been watching the budding of the trees for a while now. I showed my DH the swollen buds and he couldn't believe it b/c he thought I was joking. We only have a dusting of snow left on the ground from Saturday's snowfall I haven't really gone out to check any of my plants for emerging growth yet.

Those that sowed their seeds already on the winter sowing forum already have seedlings and now they are panicking b/c they are afraid of losing everything if the temps go down and stay there for the rest of the winter.

Penny

• susanzone5 (NY)
    18 years ago

This is the January thaw that happens every year. It's not unusual. I just love being outdoors to take advantage of it. Each year when this happens, bulbs and buds emerge, and everyone worries about them, but spring always arrives and all is well.

Looking forward to the February thaw.

• wantoretire_did
    Original Author
    18 years ago

But here in Saratoga we didn't have January thaws for the past 2 years. If this keeps up, I'll have to drag out the lawnmower.........

Carol