Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
disneynut1977

What are your garden plans for 2009?

I thought I'd start a new thread for 2009. It would be nice if we could see more action on this forum. I know there are alot of Upstate people out there...........

I have plans to really get all the WS plants into the ground earlier this year than last (I still had babies in jugs by Sept). I am doubling 1 of my raised beds from 6'x4' to 12'x4'. I have my garlic in the smaller 1 now and I'm not sure if it's gonna come up. I never got shoots in the fall time and went by some instructions online that stated to peel the cloves. I am now wondering if I ruined all that garlic :( I will try again in the fall 09. I'll order from this 1 farmer that I was soo happy with my order this past fall. If the garlic is a bust this late spring, I'm gonna put indeterminate tomatoes in the bed, than plant garlic fall 09. I do have too pull up the excisting bed though and put some type of wire cloth on the bottom because I have a really bad mole problem and they riddle my bed with holes. I want to move most of my rose bush's to better sites, my hubby is gonna build me a cedar tripod trellis for my clematis, I have 1 so far for it, just need to buy 3 more. Still can't decide on what to grow on my fence on the post's that don't have a clematis. I was gonna grow some of my birdhouse gourds, so I could start on those, but not sure yet.

Melissa

Comments (13)

• booberry85
    15 years ago

Here;s what I have in mind so far. I have to figure out how to get all of it to fit!

Sunflowers - a mix of different ones that are roughly the same height
    Sweet Corn - not sure of what variety
    Pole Beans - Cherokee Trail of Tears, Purple Podded, Chinese Green Noodle, Rattle snake, Fagioli Rampicanti Marengo (Yellow pole), Green Annelino (shrimp)
    Half Runner - Florde Mayo
    Bush Beans - Dragon Tongue, Slenderette, Kinghorn Wax, Purple Queen, maybe a couple others
    Winter Squash - Cushaw, Lakota, Long Island Cheese, Golden Pippin Acorn, pink Banana if I have the space
    Summer Squash - Zephyr, Yellow scallop, Coosa, and a couple others
    Peas - Mammoth Melting Snow Pea, maybe Laxton Progress and Green Arrow mix if I have the space
    Tomatoes - Black Cherry, Black Seaman, Clear Pink Early, Caspian Pink, Carbon, Anna Russian, Mule Team, Sub Arctic Plenty, Tommy Toe, Alicante....and maybe 9 to 14 others
    Hot peppers - I've acquired lots of varieties and can't make up my mind!
    Sweet Peppers - Red Macaroni and some other non-bell types
    Broccoli - Green Goliath, maybe Purple Sprouting
    Kohlrabi - Early White Vienna, Early Purple Vienna
    Cucumbers - Poona Kheera and a couple others
    Kale - Red Russian & Tuscan (Black Palm)
    Chard - as many varieties as I can stuff in the garden
    Eggplant - probably in containers - Diamond & Casper
    Lettuce - don't know what kinds yet
    Melon  Minnesota Midgets, Yellow Doll, Korean
    Basil - don't know what kinds yet
    Oregano
    Marjoram
    Parsley - Flat Leaf
    and maybe a few other herbs

I also like to put in a few flower:
    Zinnias
    Nasturtiums
    Petunias
    Marigolds
    maybe some four o' clocks and strawflowers too

Whew!

• misskimmie
    15 years ago

Plans for 09... Hmm, let me think.
    1. Try harder to beat back the weeds. Last year I let a volunteer morning glory stay in the rose bed,,,big mistake. I was also not so diligent in picking out the poke weed that has been sprouting here and there,

2. Plant more fruit. Blueberries, elderberries, raspberries etc,,

3. Work harder at attracting more hummingbirds and butterflies.

4. Can and freeze more food.

5. Get more natives and wildflowers.

6. Pull out all the invasivs and thugs ( no matter how pretty)

7. Attend to the compost pile better.

8. Get the Apiary going again.

9. Collect more seeds.

1. Host a Central NY Plant Swap in June.

kim

• rosesstink
    15 years ago

Every winter finds me promising the same thing to myself - I will take better care of the gardens this year. I tend to be a bit (or a lot) negligent. I guess it's because I get frustrated that things aren't perfect. The salvia flops, the deer eat the hollyhocks, the chafer beetles drive me crazy, etc.

The pictures of all your gardens are great inspirations and motivators. Thanks and keep them coming!

• krazyaroider
    15 years ago

I am planning to:
    1) Sow more/different species of Asian Jack in the pulpits (Arisaema). I am a member of the Arisaema Enthusiast Group.

2) Plant out Asian Arisaema that have been growing on in pots for several years.

3) Remove several small trees to create room to plant Albizia julibrissen 'Summer Chocolate'. This is the purple Mimosa.

4) Buy topsoil, mix with self made compost for creating raised beds for planting Asian Arisaema. Asian Arisaema are hardy in my zone 6 garden, however they require excellent drainage. I have excellent drainage, but I just like to make sure.

5) Plant out my plant orders from Plant Delights, Munchkin, and Jacques Amand Nurseries.

6) Continue trialing plants for hardiness in zone 6/5. I am located exactly 1.5 miles from Lake Erie.

7) Continue monitoring my hardy Southern Magnolia trials - I have a thread on this. I am going to bump it up with my latest observation with the cold January they are enduring.

8) Looking at Native woodland plants along with asian woodland plants for future planting.

9) Waiting "patiently" for warmer weather...

~ Gerry

• auntyara
    15 years ago

well I'm rooting cuttings of fuchsia, verbena, coleus, and some other things for spring .
    no green house just on tables by windows.
    I collected lots of seeds but haven't started them yet.
    not sure if I have the room.
    I really hate the winters here. snow snow snow.
    very very depressing.
    born and raised here in orange county N.Y. but dreaming of zone 8.
    I just joined and have no Idea what I'm doing. not cumputer savy at all.

• krazyaroider
    15 years ago

Forgot this when I was typing out my garden plans for 2009.

Plant out my plant orders from Asiatica and Seneca Hill Perenials - mostly Asian woodland perennials.
    I was thinking with all of my Asian Jack in the Pulpits (Arisaema),Ginkgos, Dawn Redwoods, and other Asian/native plants why not infuse Asian perennials with the native perennials that are already planted.

If there are Gardners that are interested in Jack in the Pulpits, I posted an identical thread on both the Woodlands and Aroid Forums. This related to the propagation of Jack in the Pulpits (Arisaema Species).

I must add Winter is extremely boring, only so much you can do - makes you appreciate spring and summer! It does make me skeptical and wary of Fall as I do not know what follows and for how long!

• rosesstink
    15 years ago

Gerry - When I saw your interests, I wondered if you knew about Seneca Hills Perennials. And I see that you do. I've been there several times during their spring open hours. Fascinating place.

• beastmaker
    15 years ago

Lettuce (Little Gem)
    Lettuce (Black Simpson)
    Lettuce (Heatwave Blend)
    Summer Squash (Butter Stick)
    Broccoli Green Golieth
    Cucumber (Bush Champ)
    Cucumber (Jolly G)
    Cucumber (Straight Nine)
    Cucumber (Sweeter Yet Hybrid)
    Cucumber (Spacemaster)
    Beans Blue Lake
    Basil (Mammoth) (Patio)
    Carrot (Short n' sweet)
    Jalapeno
    Sweet Pepper
    Hot Pepper Salsa Mix
    Squash (Butterbush)
    Squash (Winter ACORN)
    Summer Squash (Early Prolific)
    Summer Squash (Black Beauty-Zuchini)
    Squash (Slender Gem-Zuchini)
    Cantaloupes
    Onions
    Cilantro

Early Girl Hybrid
    Tasty Treat
    Early & Often
    Super Sweet 100 (Cherry)
    Jelly Bean Hybrid (Grape)
    Best Boy Hybrid (Patio)
    ROMA
    Big Boy Hybrid
    Big Boy Hybrid
    Big Mama (Roma)
    Super Beef Steak

• garden_frog
    15 years ago

My plans this year...I may not get them all done though with my 1 year old running around.

1. Design and plant my new polynesian themed garden around my back patio.

2. Expand my vegetable garden and succeed in growing the tomatoes I start indoors instead of having to get them from other sources when mine fail.

3. Start a new herb garden.

4. Move the willow shrub I have off the back patio that just doesn't belong there.

5. Plant a garden in front of the barn.

6. Come up with some way to landscape in front of the pool.

It's a lengthy list. I suspect I won't get to all of it, but I can dream, right?

• lafleuriste
    15 years ago

I am planning a container garden with:

Morning glories and moonflowers
    Sweet peas and black-eyed Susan vine
    Nigella "Miss Jekyll" for my grandmother
    "Cedric Morris" poppies
    Marigolds
    Alyssum
    White Cascade Lobelia
    Lavender
    Cosmos
    Sedum "Autumn Joy"
    Rudbeckia
    Ivy

A strawberry jar packed with herbs
    tomatoes (hanging bag or container, haven't decided)
    peppers
    cucumbers

...and possibly snapdragons or summer-flowering bulbs. My main objective is to have a beautiful porch garden that attracts bees, butterflies and other beneficial insects. For some reason I'm really focused on flowers this year. I figure I can get good veggies from the farmer's market and the local roadside stand!

• wifetojoeiii
    15 years ago

We will plant our veggie garden probably the 3rd or 4th week of May -

many squash - butternut, acorn, zucchini, & yellow summer;

tomatoes - primarily the big beefsteak & roma for sauce;

chinese eggplant - my husband loves it baked with slices of hard cheese, garlic & anchovies;

broccoli;

brussel sprouts;

beets (we LOVE beets);

pole beans;

and guords for decoration in the fall

I plan to move 2, maybe 3 rhodos & the rest of my time will be spent keeping up with weeds & watering. I am going to be writing my Master's thesis so big projects are out of the question.

• misskimmie
    15 years ago

Hi,
    I need to add something else. This year I want a greenhouse, At least a small one for starters. I am looking to make it out of old wooden storm windows.

kim

• OKMoreh
    15 years ago

The most important thing will be to keep my plans in scale with my time and not start so many things I can't finish.

The big plan is to plant edible landscaping: juneberries, currants, etc.

I also want to start some anti-landscaping, in the form of ripping out all the little ball evergreens that line the property, but only if I can hire someone to do it.

Sponsored
My Kitchen And Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars48 Reviews
Virginia-Based, Leading Kitchen and Bath Remodeler Since 1994