Return to the Upstate New York Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bareroot roses

Posted by laura51 z5 upstate NY (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 23, 05 at 10:50

I impetuously just ordered several Rugosa roses (Blanc Double de Coubert, Jens Munk, Mrs. Anthony Waterer) and requested a delivery date of May 15. Having second thoughts, I'm wondering what the ideal time is to plant bareroot roses in the Rochester area?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bareroot roses

hey laura51. i went to college in rochester (r.i.t.), i remember the lake-effect snows... i'm not entirely certain of best times to plant, but i figured that i would ask the supplier (as a start) to see if they have any suggestions. i think may 15, should be a safe time -- i'm guessing earliest time in spring, where there will be little danger of a frost.

o

Hi laura51.

I'm a little east of you, where this old 'lake effect' has us dancing until May Day. You'll probably be fine planting them around mid-May. If in doubt, put 'em in a bucket of fresh water-they like a short soak before planting anyway. Rugosa are pretty hardy. Mine have taken some punishment through my ignorance, but still thrive.

I've ordered online a few times, and the nurseries sent them and other roses at roughly the best time for planting in whichever zone they'll live in.

Best of luck to you!

o

Laura, have you ever planted bare roots before?

It isn't really hard. Just make sure you mound lots of nice dirt up almost to the top, and be sure to bury the bud union a few inches below the soil line. When any danger of a frost is past just rinse off the dirt covering the canes with your hose.

o

Let's start at the beginning.

A bareroot rose is a dormant rose. Ideally, they go to sleep in the grower's fields, and wake up in your garden without really noticing the difference. For this to happen, they have to be in the ground *before* they would normally break dormancy in your climate. So the trick is to plant them as soon as possible after the soil has thawed in the spring, and dried out enough to be workable. Here that is usually around the end of March, beginning of April. It's probably about the same in Rochester, but I don't really know.

The later the roses get planted, the more iffy the whole process becomes and the more work it will take to get them established. Heat and drying out are the enemies here, not cold. Most people want to plant them much, much too late, then wonder why the roses never really settle in.

o

thanks so much, all, for the info!

o

When I lived in NYC, I would get bare root roses in in mid-April, and they did just fine. The first year I planted roses it was towards the end of May, and they took over!

Autumn Sunset (too tender for here) and HF Young Clematis, the first roses I ever planted.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Upstate New York Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here