Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeannineinthecountry

Trees & things to identify

Hi everyone....I'm new to Gardenweb and I've just posted a message in "Name this Plant" and thought that I'd duplicate it here. I need help to identify trees and things that are on 8 acres in southern Herkimer county.

So here's the scoop. I'm not positive what zone I'm in 4b or 5a. The woodlands cover roughly 2 acres of the 8 acres and it is a fairly moist piece of land (2 culverts running through it) and have been thriving (soil is BLACK) since it was abandoned in the 60s. We were there in October this past year and took lots of pictures but did not get a chance to walk through all of it. I've been able to identify some things - maple (Dad says sugar but I haven't checked every single tree yet to verify), birch, sumac, one evergreen/conifer, an argument on poplars or willows (they are so freaking tall it's hard to tell). There was huge grapevine everywhere so I started cutting it off as many trees as I could with the time we had to work on it. Wild rose, berries - raspberry maybe blackberry, pokeberry, burdock, and god help me Japanese knotweed.

I've contacted a forestry consultant and will also contact Region 6 headquarters of the NYS forestry department and see about a walkthru in the spring. But for now it's me and the internet.

All of the images I have are too large to add to a post. Does anyone want to see the pics and play detective with me? I'd appreciate any help.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County