Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
penny1947_gw

a good week-end for winter sowing

penny1947
19 years ago

well considering the weather today and possibly tomorrow this may be an ideal week-end to start wintersowing if you haven't already started. Let's face it there isn't much else to do with all the snow we are supposed to get. i am staying home, staying warm and sewing...er sowing!

Stay safe everyone if you have to be out in the weather.

Penny

Comments (19)

• fairydancer
    19 years ago

I started about 3 weeks ago, but did a bunch more yesterday and got them out right before the snow. I can't even see them anymore!!! I actually don't know if today will be such a good day to put more containers out, because I can't tell where there is empty space. Knowing me, I'll end up stacking containers and crushing all my lovelies!

~Deb

• penny1947
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Good morning Deb,
    Right now most of my containeers are on my front porch which at this time is actually snow covered . I can't get to the side of the house right now where my earlier containers are. in fact I have almost as much snow on the porch and outside the door as I do on the side where my winter sowing shelving is set up.

any that I do today may have to stay in my mud room until I can get out the door.

Penny

• penny1947
    Original Author
    19 years ago

i managed to get 8 more done today and out the door. I took an old galvanized bucket and scooped the snow off the shelves so i would have room for the containers now the bucket is sitting in the bathtub to melt so I can use it to water my indoor plants. I decided to find a use for all of this snow besides snow icecream!

Penny

• Sue_in_NYC
    19 years ago

You know what? I can do this on the cold, enclosed porch! Yee-haa!

Now I need to find containers...

• penny1947
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Sue i have some of my containers on my south facing porch. I put most of them there last year and they did fine. This year I have some on the porch and the rest on the east side of the house. Get sowing girl!

Penny

• kathy2
    19 years ago

I'm situated half-way between Rochester and Syracuse and I'm going to attempt my first winter sowing thiw weekend. I'm excited. "Trudi" the winter-sowing expert sent me some of her tomato seeds and I'm going to give them a try. Good Luck to everyone!

• penny1947
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Kathy I think that shimla is right about starting tender annuals and vegetables a bit later after perennials and hardy annuals. I haven't started my tomatoes yet either...probably sometime next month. I have mostly done perennials so far with the exception of my garden balsam. I may do some of my snapdragons now also as those did well early sowing last year. if you want to try other seeds let me know as I think I still have some extra. Let me know what you would like to try and if I have it I will be happy to share.
    penny

• penny1947
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I received my tomato seed care package from Trudi and now I have to scrounge more containers. My DH said What on earth are you going to do with all those tomato plants when they germinate (6 different varieties). I may be bringing some of those to the plant swap also.

Penny

• kareen
    19 years ago

Hi Everyone,
    I have been away and am just now starting to winter sow. I did 9 last night but ran out of soil, so its off to the store this a.m. to get more. I too wait till March to do the annuals and tender plants.
    For those of you placing them on a porch, is this a covered porch and if so do you have to water them or does snow and rain come onto the porch. The reason I love ws so much is the lack of care needed once these are planted cause knowing me I would never remember to water .

Here is a link that might be useful: Our pond and gardens

• penny1947
    Original Author
    19 years ago

welcome back Kareen!
    The containers that are on my porch right now are the ones in smaller containers or in 8 oz. cups that fit inside the sectioned off flats that the nurseries use to hold 3 inch pots. I keep those on the porch so that my little squirrel colony doesn't knock them over or otherwise destroy them.

My porch is screened in and I have the flats on shelves right up next to the screen so they do get moisture from rain and snow when it blows through the screen and plenty of sunshine periodically during the day. They just don't get buried in the snow like the larger containers do that are on the side of the house. I don't have to water them at all until it warms up and I take the covers off. In fact I just came in from checking them and since the temp is above freezing right now they all have condensation inside the containers.

Penny

• fleurgirl1
    19 years ago

I am a newbie on this board but I am really enjoying it. I am very intrigued by winter sowing.
    Do the plants that are winter sown tend to be less leggy than their indoor counterparts? Thanks

• penny1947
    Original Author
    19 years ago

welcome Fleurgirl,
    winter sown plants aren't leggy at all. because they don't germinate too early. THe seeds germinate when it is time for them to break dormancy naturally.

Here is a link to the Winter Sowing forum Winter Sowing Forum and the
    Winter Sowing FAQ
    Penny

• kareen
    19 years ago

Thanks Penny and welcome Fleurgirl,
    Fleurgirl, I think that is the greatest (well one of the greatest) things about winter sowing. The plants are so very healthy.If you haven't tried it yet , I highly recommend it.

• shimla
    19 years ago

Hi girls and welcome, Fleurgirl! It's slow going for me this year. I've only got about 200 finished so far. I'm going to have to get busy.

Fleurgirl - it's really just amazing how healthy the WS plants are. I couldn't believe the difference between them and the ones that I indoor sowed for so many years. It was really the root system that developed inside the pots that knocked me over. I overplanted my containers. So when it came time to plant them, I'd just tear apart chunks of sprouts and stick them in the ground. I don't think they even noticed my brutality LOL. As a matter of fact, they really bolt as soon as you plant them.

I didn't have any leggy plants. Like Penny stated, they come up when it's their time. I would think that they also benefit because they are getting the natural spectrum of light they require from the sun.

• missmshell
    19 years ago

newbie here too!! WS plants also don't suffer from damping off!
    Shimla- glad to hear you can just tear apart the "hunk o seedlings!" I was heavy handed w/ a lot of stuff I WS. So I'll have lots of those hunks.

• kareen
    19 years ago

Welcome Missmshell,
    Glad to have you over here.

• penny1947
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Another welcome here too Missmshell
    the more the merrier.

Penny

• mulchy
    19 years ago

Hi, another new wanna be winter sower. Just joined the group after reading so much about it. It sounds like a great concept!!!! Can't wait to try it.
    mulchy

• penny1947
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Mulchy,
    i don't grow my plants any other way anymore. I only buy plants that I can't get seeds for.

Penny