Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mulchy_gw

Long boring winter

mulchy
16 years ago

Hi everyone, I have not posted in awhile, but I have been lurking!!! I just wondered what everyone is doing to beat the winter blahs...the forum seems kind of slow, so I figured everyone is busy doing something...

I have been painting my birdhouses and making some wooden garden things, also going through my garden books, seed catalogs etc. just waiting for spring, also going to do some winter sowing next month...So how about you????

Comments (9)

• booberry85
    16 years ago

I've been very lazy since Christmas. I have been studying the seed catalogs & figuring out what to plant in the spring. That 70 degree day we had a week ago gave me "seed fever." I can't wait for WalMart to get there seeds in. Once they do, I can figure what seeds I'll still need to order.

I stepped on a scale for the first time in months on monday. YIKES! So, I'm trying to straighten out my eating habits and figure out what to do for physical exercise. This way I'll be in shape (hopefully) for gardening season.

• laurelin
    16 years ago

I've been doing indoors home improvement - we're making a family room out of half of our basement. Since any home improvement has a ripple effect, we've been cleaning out and throwing away and giving away and tidying and painting, making messes and cleaning them up in order to make new messes.

I've also been deciding which daylilies to order this year for breeding (a pleasant dilemma), and getting ready to start winter sowing this week. I'm already antsy for spring - I have a slew of outdoors projects I want to tackle this year. Terracing the back yard is the biggest one, but I also need to put a railing around the terrace, and mulch EVERYTHING. I'll be buying some fantastic compost from my friend's son, so I can top-dress the beds before mulching. When I'm not busy planning and living "real life," I have some good books to enjoy. ("Robbing the Bees" by Holley Bishop was a really interesting book; "The Wee Free Men" by Terry Pratchett was fun; I've got more books waiting on my night stand.)

Laurel

• gottagarden
    16 years ago

I'm going on vacation to a warm sunny place so when I come back, spring will almost be here!

• dirthappy
    16 years ago

I'm going to a warm, sunny place also.. 40 days to go. I'm hoping to start seeds before I leave.

• remy_gw
    16 years ago

Hi!
    Besides working too much, I've been in a couple big seed swaps and I'm wrapping up the regular seed trading right now. Of course I've been reading all the seed catalogs and garden books. By the end of the month, I'm going to WS a bunch of seeds. I did rearrange my bookcase full of cookbooks, but everything is still a mess in the house, lol. Next month I will be taking a vacation too, to Key Largo to visit my dad.
    For those of you in the Buffalo area, Menne was setting up their seeds last week when I was there for my potting soil. They had Botanical Interests, Livingston, and Ferry Morse set up all ready. There were a lot of great selections out even though they weren't done putting all the companies out yet.
    Remy

• pamghatten
    16 years ago

Been a while since I visited this forum ... I llok forward to winter months. Time to catch up on other projects I put aside when gardening season comes.

I've updated my website, put new pictures in my webshots folder, made jewelry (new hobby), am working on my quilt, listed some daylilies on the Lily Auction for the first time, have read some good books, watched some good movies ... and there's still not enough time in a day!

• Chazy
    16 years ago

I poke around this forum now and then. You have a good question.
    I have been doing a lot of snow shovelling,refilling several bird feeders first thing every morning,puttering with my 38 orchid plants many of which are blooming,talking to the dog,photographing some of the birds and orchids(the pictures are shared with family and friends via email and a family website),browsing around the Internet and getting sidetracked by interesting sites,and reading about 4 books a week.
    Of course as I have gotten older housekeeping takes twice as long as it used to.Not one of my favorite sports.

Nancy

• mommymammal
    16 years ago

I am so stir-crazy that it almost feels like a disease! Last winter was so warm that half my annuals in the deck containers were still alive at Christmas. This year everything is dead, dead, dead. Messing around with houseplants just isn't enough. I've already ordered seeds and plants, so that leaves me with nothing to do for the garden. My DH is supposed to build a fluorescent light support frame for my daughter's room, so she can grow some houseplants, but it's snowing like mad outside and he's parked in front of the TV. Sigh.

• susanzone5 (NY)
    16 years ago

This is the grayest, iciest winter I can remember. I miss the sun! I walk when the sun is out.
    I keep busy with many indoor hobbies...beadwork, dancing, needlework, quilting.

There's a whole swingdance and lindyhop network between Poughkeepsie/Highland/Kingston and Albany. It sure beats seasonal affective disorder!

I've been to Florida this January and will be in Tucson, Arizona for a few weeks in Feb-March to see the spring wildflowers...70 degrees and sunny. I need it for winter survival. lol.

Seeds are ordered and lights are ready for when I return.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living