Return to the Upstate New York Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hollyhocks

Posted by victory_tea2085 z6 Ny (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 15, 06 at 17:23

Thought I would winter sow some hollyhocks but wanted to check with fellow gardeners before I order seed. Is there a downside to perennial hollyhocks or are they just as colorful ect. as the biennial flower? I was in the Sodus Point area last summer and noted some very, very tall hollyhocks, anyone have any ideas as to the variety? Lastly, does anyone have a tried and true source that they have used for hollyhock seed. I think I would like the perennials unless advised otherwise.
Thanks for any info

Paul F B

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hollyhocks

Although I haven't ordered from this site, I've heard great things about the quality:

Diane's Flower Seeds

This will be my first year with hollyhocks, both perennial and biennial. Hoping to have much success.

Tracy

o
Woops!

Woops, guess I should have visited the site first. She only offers one type of hollyhock.

Here is my second try:

Swallowtail Seeds

I KNOW for sure they have tons of seeds!

Tracy

o

I'm not sure what you mean by perennial hollyhocks...maybe some malva? I've grown them all, and the biennial kinds are by far the most enchanting, especially the old fashioned single type. In my garden the plants come back and flower for two seasons sometimes. The malvas and lavateras are lovely, but with shorter plants and smaller flowers...not as impressive, and some can be rangy looking and/or short-lived. Try them all and decide what you like.

o

I have grown various hollyhocks from seed, my problem seems to be getting rid of them - they reseed freely. Hollyhock "Antwerp" is supposed to be rust-resistant, I'm cultivating/planting those lately, because rust is the one problem I do have with these lovely, towering flowers.

o

I wintersowed Malvas and the regular hollyhocks. The down side for me was japanese beatles and runt. The rus didn't affect my malvas but they did affect the regulars. I finally gave up and am not going to fool with them anymore. They need an airy open area to grow with less chance of rust and I just don't have that kind of environment. My malvas were grown in clumps which gave the appearance of bushier plants. They also got about 5 ft. tall and loaded with blooms but once the Jap. beatles arrives I ended up pulling them out along with the regular hollyhocks.

Penny

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Upstate New York Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here