Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
remy_gw

Blizzard of 77 Photos

remy_gw
18 years ago

I was in the car this morning with my husband, and we were listening to Tom Bauerly(spelling?)He was having people call in to tell tales from the blizzard. Tomorrow is the 29th anniversary of when it started. I thought it was funny because of the other thread. He mentioned this web site to see pictures

www.whitedeath.com/photos.html

Also look at

www.classicbuffalo.com/weather.htm

or go the 3rd one on the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blizzard Photos

Comments (11)

• penny1947
    18 years ago

Gee, it's too bad I missed that one...NOT!

Penny

• jannie
    18 years ago

I left WNY in 1974, but my parents continued to live in Clarence. Mom is still there at age 82. They told me one blizzard story I never forgot. There's an elementary school about a half mile from my parents home. Ledgeview Elementary on Thompson Road Clarence. When the blizzard arrived, snow fell and drifted. Several teachers, rather than risk driving home, walked to my parents home and asked to spend the night. My parents said yes, and luckily they had plenty of electricity, heat, food and pillows and blankets to go 'round.

• laurelin
    18 years ago

I remember that storm!! We lived near Cleveland, Ohio, at the time. I remember that the snow FELL and FELL and FELL, and they cancelled school for a whole WEEK. I also remember shovelling, and playing, in FEET of snow. One memory in particular: a picture of one of the Marginal Roads (right along Lake Erie) showing a canyon of snow with a tractor-trailer truck driving through it - the snow was as high as the TOP of the truck. . . .

Laurel

• gottagarden
    18 years ago

Thanks for crashing the site Remy;-)
    Thanks for the link to the site also, wow! Not like this year. SHowed those great photos to DH who couldn't imagine it.
    I remember the blizzard, school was closed for 2 weeks! 1 week for snow, then the cold made the boiler break and they needed a week to fix it. We drove our snowmobiles right through the middle of town and got groceries for the neighbors. As a kid it was a lot of fun.

• faltered
    18 years ago

Wow, I'm glad I wasn't around for that! I can't imagine being trapped inside for an entire week. A day or two is long enough.

Tracy

• hammerl
    18 years ago

I was 7. I remember getting out of school early and being sent home. We lived close by, and made it home early, but others were on the bus until late at night.

The snow came right over our 4' fence, and only the top foot of the swingset was visible in the yard. There was a drift of snow up to my second story window. And the snow was so fine and packed that adults could walk right on top of it.

I remember being off only a few days, but Buffalo city schools were shut over a week longer.

• pamghatten
    18 years ago

I was a teenager and had a great time during that blizzard. People were out on foot all over the city. It was truely amazing how everyone pitched in and worked together during that time.

I remember taking a bus into the city from Kenmore, the only allowed transportation, and watching heavy machinery scoop up vehicles one-by-one off the road so the next machine could get rid of the snow, then they'd put the car back. I'll never forget that ...

Pam

• judyk_sonoransys_com
    13 years ago

It was so much fun. The snow fell thick from outside the classroom windows then an announcement that school was closing early brought cheers. My friend was stuck at my house because ours was one of the first bus stops and there was no way the driver was going to be able to finish the entire route. ROOTS and Planet of the Apes were on TV in the evening. During the day sledding from the roof, ice skating on the pool and snowmobiling groceries to neighbors and friends. Great for kids but many died trapped in their cars which was very, very tragic.

• husky004_
    13 years ago

Remy-Oh I remember it well was less than 2 miles from home and couldn't even get there...sun was shining and I was talking to someone in Utica, NY who asked me how the weather was told him it was fine and turned in my chair and looked out the window and the curtain came down it was a wtf moment lol...decided to buddy up with a few co-workers and it was the trip from hell...zero visability for the 3 miles to get to his home...and then we were trapped for a day and a half even though i was probably about 1/2 mile from home if that...my husband was trapped in Cheektowaga for at least 3 days safe and sound with his aunt...the digging out and piles of snow were unbelievable...hope we never see anything like that again.

• husky004_
    13 years ago

Hey Remy-by the way good post I was getting tired of the lions and tiger and bears oh my!

• lilylouise
    13 years ago

Wow! We were there too! We lived on the North Tonawanda side of Amherst. The kids were thrilled to have school off and luckily there was plenty of food in the house.
    Many close friends had recently moved on from our rather transient neighborhood and phoned in to get the particulars and 'gloat'.

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH