Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosesstink

'Secret' nurseries/garden centers?

rosesstink
15 years ago

I've often found nurseries that I never knew existed while out driving to places off my regular routes. Places within ten miles of home. I don't know where, or even if, they advertise but if I hadn't driven by I would never have known they were there. And some of them are nice places.

So let's share. What are your favorite "hidden" plant sources?

Comments (9)

• booberry85
    15 years ago

There's a couple that I like:

George's Farm Products
    160 Kirkland Ave
    Clinton, NY

Dave's Veggies
    5178 Route 41
    Homer,NY

There's also one (of course I can't remember the name!)
    It's near Marcy Elementary school, It's across the street from a min golf.

• gottagarden
    15 years ago

There's a daylily farm in Medina with whole fields of daylilies. You can pick out EXACTLY what you want and he digs it up on the spot. It's out in the boonies and wonderful. Here's their website.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cottage Garden Daylilies

• pamghatten
    15 years ago

Probably not supposed to promote my own, and Brent from Cottage Garden's is a friend ... but here's mine.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mystic Meadows Daylily

• wifetojoeiii
    15 years ago

OMG - I am only about 20 minutes from the daylily farm in Medina - it is a definite destination this year!

Who else is LONGING for daffs & tulips to be sicking their noses up?

• Chrissy Chris
    15 years ago

I live right by the Leptondale nursery in newburgh. The place is pretty cute - they have barnyard animals and a stream running through the property.
    I mostly like it b/c it's really convenient - I buy flowers and walk home with them (across the street). That makes it easier to buy local.

• sewobsessed
    15 years ago

Alcott's in Waterville, but they are very expensive.

Worosylo Greenhouses, 47 New Hartford St in
    New York Mills. Fabulous flowers and veg - and very reasonable prices.

Also, there's a small greenhouse right on Route 5 in Vernon - right near Hinman Farms (of course I can't think of the name...ugh!). He seems to sell out really quickly each spring and has some beautiful plants, flower, veg and roses. (I think he mentioned he was pres of Rose Society once?) It's one of those 'obvious, but you just don't notice it' kind of places because the greenhouses are hidden behind his house.
    I bet someone knows which one I mean though. lol.

• sewobsessed
    15 years ago

Ah-ha!
    It's Snyders Greenhouse Gardens.
    :)

• rosesstink
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Some nice places! Thanks for sharing.

I forgot to add some of mine. Duh!

The first two aren't very secret but shouldn't be missed.

Phoenix Flower Farm. Nice gardens. Nice people. I told them last year (and the year before. lol) that they should update their website. They haven't.
    http://www.phoenixflowerfarm.com/

Seneca Hill Perennials. Pretty gardens. Some very, very unusual plants. Most of their sales is internet/mail order so check for their spring open hours before you make the (well worth it) drive. But if you see something on the website that you want order it now. They sell out fast.
    http://www.senecahillperennials.com/

Lasnicki Landscaping
    521 Count Route 32
    Hastings, NY 13076

Lots of trees. Numerous greenhouse. Loads of annuals. Last year they merged with, or bought out - I'm not sure, a nearby perennial nursery so have a good selection.

Come on spring!

• lilylouise
    15 years ago

Sara's garden center in Brockport probably isn't a secret to those who live on the west side of Rochester but it's worth a trip to those of you who have never checked it out. They carry lots and lots of perennials plus water garden plants and supplies. They also have lovely gardens on the property to drool over.
    www.sarasgc.com

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County