Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
penny1947_gw

Pictorial zone map

penny1947
19 years ago

for those of you you have been having trouble figuring out what your actual hardiness zone is here is a great map that shows the NY zones by color code. It is so much easier to see than those US maps

{{gwi:970983}}

and here is the link to the page if you want to save it to your computer

{{gwi:970983}}

Penny

Comments (14)

• Anne_Marie_Alb
    19 years ago

Quite a range.. even a 3b! I am saving this map. Thanks, Penny. Eh.. you are one zone up from us in Albany... Don't complain about the cold any more! LOL!

Reporting from zone 5a,
    Anne-Marie

• penny1947
    Original Author
    19 years ago

LOL! Anne-Marie you're right I should stop complaining about the cold even if I did grow up in zone 8! After all zone 6 isn't all that bad. We do have a couple of good months don't we!

Here is a link to the main site also has lots of good info even though it is mainly a Florida site.
    MasterGardenerOnline

Penny

• fairydancer
    19 years ago

Do you think here in Niskayuna I am a 5a or 5b? Does it make any difference?

~Deb

• penny1947
    Original Author
    19 years ago

If you are right on the line, and you had to choose, I would plant for 5b but it probably doesn't matter that much. most plants are listed by the number rather thatn the number and letter anyway.

Penny

• jannie
    19 years ago

Thank you- my eyes are not so great,even with glasses. I could never tell if I was in Zone 6 or 7. I live in Long Island NY. This is a great map!

• penny1947
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Jannie,
    if you click on the link to the page the map is on you will and put your mouse arrow on the page you can enlarge the map by clicking on the box with the arrows in it when it pops up. Then it will be even easier to see.

Penny

• Anne_Marie_Alb
    19 years ago

Penny.... I, too, grew up in a zone 8-9 (may have seen snow 3/4 times in my first 30 years!) but love this 4-season weather, although the summer humidity does really get to me, the way cold does to you. LOL!
    Anne-Marie

• penny1947
    Original Author
    19 years ago

well Anne-Marie i have found a good use for some of my snow...I let it melt down to water my plants...and think warm thoughts. i don't mind 4 seasons if they could just be a little more equally distributed LOL! The cold really does go right through me so I just can't stay outside and enjoy it for long.
    Penny

• Anne_Marie_Alb
    19 years ago

Oh well...I guess I am not as sensitive to cold as I am to humidity... (I do have extra natural layers.. maybe this is why.. lol!) Always fight with my husband about the thermostat!!

Now this is for the bird lover in you, Penny, and for all other birders... Forgot to mention that I heard on the local news last night that the harbinger of spring is not the robin anymore (saw quite a few a while back) as they manage to overwinter here, but the red winged blackbird... And.. apparently some have been spotted! So, be on the lookout.. from your windows, of course! Spring is on its way!

By the way, thank you for the great animated clip art above, Penny!

Stay warm,
    Anne-Marie

• penny1947
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Anne-Marie
    That was your first flower of spring from me to you.

BRRRRRR!!!!!It is downright cold this a.m. Anne-Marie! I just had to throw that in LOL! this is going to sound crazy but ! actually tried to put on more weight this year for insulation and now I feel miserable and am working like crazy to take it off...i just can't seem to win LOL!

There have been quite a few reports of overwintering Robins all across the country this year which may also be a sign of global warming...who knows. I will definitely keep my eyes peeled for that red winged blackbird! Believe it or not I saw my first hummer last spring long before I saw my first red winged blackbird.

penny

• Anne_Marie_Alb
    19 years ago

BRRRRRR.... Penny! It is cold here, too!!! Can you believe I'm saying this? Not much snow left here (except where it was piled up), so I hope my plants are not shivering with this return of winter... Were thinking about going snowshoeing in the Adirondacks, but just too cold to go!!

Let us know when you see your first hummer, harbinger of spring.

Anne-Marie

• penny1947
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Anne-Marie
    No hummers yet but i saw a chicadee checking out one of the nesting boxes in my front yard a little while ago. She/he was going in and out and then went in again and sat there peeking out of the hole. Of couse it could be just trying to get warm LOL!

Penny

• Sue_in_NYC
    19 years ago

I'm loaded with chickadees here in Ti!

I've been asking around, and no one here plants until the end of March at the absolute earliest, and it's more like the end of April. Tenders go even later.

Boy, the going from 7a (Staten Island) to 4b (Ticonderoga) is a learning experience. Well worth it, though.

• penny1947
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi Sue,
    Yes that is a big change for you going from zone 7a to 4b! We also have our share of chickadees. Right now I think they are staying closer to the big pine trees across the road and out back where they have more protection. As soon as it warms up a little they are all over my yard and the maple trees. This is the earliest I have seen them going to the nesting box.

penny

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus