Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gottagarden

snakes in NY

gottagarden
18 years ago

Here's a site with interesting info on NY wildlife. At the bottom it has pictures of all the snakes. I thought it would be useful for identification, although even with the warm weather, I think the snakes are still sleeping around here.

PS - When it comes up, the page seems empty, just page down and there's the article.

http://www.esf.edu/PUBPROG/brochure/snakes/snakes.htm

Other pages in the site talk about frogs, turtles, etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: Snakes in NY

Comments (18)

• remy_gw
    18 years ago

Thanks for the link. I enjoyed reading the articles.
    Remy

• penny1947
    18 years ago

I have only seen one snake since moving to NY and I really hope I don't see any others. I grew up around rattlesnakes in La. and I am terrified of all snakes. The link was a great source of information and one I will keep handy. Thanks

Penny

• hammerl
    18 years ago

I've only seen two snakes my entire life -- both garder snakes. One was in the backyard when I was growing up, a rather small one that apparently was hanging out under a bush. The other was up in Niagara County last year, and was quite a bit bigger, and annoyed with me that I was taking away rocks from where it lived. I'm glad that it doesn't seem that most of the varieties are in my area.

• magicman2u
    18 years ago

Hmmmm snakes in Ny I have seen plenty in NY and all are Garder Snakes. All though my first experience began when I was six and I lived in Arkansaw... My brother was hanging a dead Water Mochasin over my head with a stick!

• crankyoldman
    18 years ago

I've see tons of garter snakes here too. When I was a kid in northern PA, I saw rattlesnakes on a regular basis. I don't know if they just don't cross the state line or what.:)

• bloomville
    18 years ago

great resource! i've seen red-bellied snakes, garters, and milk snakes...plus one really BIG black snake I wasn't able to ID.I love snakes. Good for the garden!

• penny1947
    18 years ago

bloomville
    You can have any and all snakes I find in my yard. In one sense I wish I could tolerate them b/c then I wouldn't have a problem with voles eating my plants. The owls and the Hawks have too many wide open spaces to hunt in to bother coming into my yard for a snack. Rodents and snakes are two things that will keep me in the house.

Penny

• lynnenychemung
    18 years ago

>>

Hey lady....I live in Elmira, just above the PA state line. 9 miles to be exact. Let me tell you we have rattlesnakes in our area of New York. There is one area
    in particular between Elmira and Corning...the Steege Hill
    area...where they have been seen and killed many times
    through the years. Also...this past summer....when it was so dry....there were 3 times the sheriff was called to get
    rid of Rattlesnakes up on Harris Hill...a popular county park in Chemuny County .

AS long as they dont find MY house.....Im okay.

• magicman2u
    18 years ago

Ok I found these two sites on rattlesnakes in New york. I hope you find this info helpful
    Link 1

Link 2

• gottagarden
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hey Wayne, that info on the rattlesnake was interesting. I never knew there were rattlesnakes in NY. One of those X's looked to be just over where I live! And I've got the swampy woodlands they so prefer. I will have to keep my eyes open when I'm traipsing around the swamp. (although I would be excited to see one, not necessarily scared :-)

Thanks for the links

• penny1947
    18 years ago

VEry interesting reading Wayne. I was told when we moved to NY from La. that there weren't any poisonous snakes up here. I have encountered 2 rattlesnakes in my life...one in my bedroom when I was in high school which I managed by the grace of God to kill (it measured out at over 4 ft) and one that my dog cornered in my yard. Both were coiled and in striking position. The one in the yard was striking at the dog. I managed to call the sheriff and they came out and shot it. Both instances were in La. and not here in NY. Now knowing that they are in NY and I live close to a natural wetland and nature preserve I will be more cautious when I am outside during the summer.

Penny

• matt_v
    18 years ago

Greetings! There are actually three species of veneomous Snakes here in NY State. All are rare, one is very endangered. This wetland Rattlesnake being posted about sounds like the endangered one, the Eastern Massasauga
    [Sistrurus catenatus].
    The Massasauga rattlesnake is the most diminutive of the three venomous snakes found in New York State, the other two are the timber rattlesnake (Crotalus horridus) and the copperhead (Agkistrodon contortrix). In the Chippewa language, "massasauga" translates to "great river-mouth" and probably refers to the snake's preference for wet habitats, including riverine bottomlands. The adult Massasauga, also known as the "Swamp Rattler," is a girthy snake with a broad head. It measures 18-40 inches (45-100 cm) in length. Average length is 27.5 inches (70 cm). The body is distinctively marked with a row of large black or dark brown hourglass-shaped markings along the back and three rows of smaller dark spots on each side. The background coloration is gray or brownish-gray. A dark bar with a lighter border extends from the eye to the rear of the jaw. Some adults, however, are all black. This rattlesnake can also be identified by the nine large scales on the crown of the head, similar to most non-venomous snakes. The timber rattlesnake's head is covered with numerous small scales.

If you see one, you should revel in your good fortune to find such a rare creature!! Tell me about your sighting if you do find one, I have wanted to photograph one for years...

• luvtogarden09
    14 years ago

Hello, I live in Candor (just outside Ithaca) and had no idea there were venemous snakes in the area. I have an 18 month old son who loves playing outside so now I am curious and looking for any information you may have. I noticed people referring to links Wyane had posted(with X's over locations maybe?) I wasn't able to find them and was wondering if anyone would be able to repost those links. At this point any information would be helpful and much appreciated! I've been seeing lots of different snakes in the yard and have no clue what they are - I'll have to be more cautios and warm my husband who is in the process of taking out a stone wall (perfect little hiding place)

Thanks,
    Sarah

• rosalinda_gw
    14 years ago

I LOVE snakes. We have lots and lots of garter snakes on the farm, some over 3 ft long, both the yellow and red striped ones. I talk to them and handle them whenever I see them and very few of them are frightened of me, some will even come up to "smell" me (snakes smell with their tongue). One was in my bamboo the other day, looked very cool. I would love to get some black rat snakes. I also once saw what I think was a corn snake at the edge of one of my fields, but only got a quick glance at it as it slithered past my ankle - never saw it again.

Give a snake an escape route and it will take it, they have very few defenses against predators except the ability to get away fast. They eat bugs and rodents, so are welcome on my farm!

-Rosalinda

• Carol_from_ny
    14 years ago

I hate snakes but I won't harm one. We once had a corn snake living at the bottom of our deck I called him Fred. Fred lived under the last step of the deck and often would come out to get water that dripped from the faucet for the hose.Needless to say as long as Fred lived under the deck I didn't come off the deck. We had a understanding he had his area I had mine.

So far this year I've only seen two snakes in the yard, I'm hoping hard that's all I see.

• wayne_mo
    14 years ago

Sarah,

There are Timber Rattlesnakes in Tioga County but they prefer remote rocky outcrops near the tops of mountains in heavily forested areas. It is possible to encounter one if you live in the country near woods and rocky outcrops, but if you live in a neighborhood with other houses nearby it is very unlikely. In a neighborhood you are still likely to encounter many types of snakes (garter snakes being typically the most common) but have low odds of seeing a rattlesnake. As wildlife goes, you're more likely to encounter a black bear in town than a timber rattlesnake.

Timber Rattlesnakes do range in Tioga County, but the good news is that they are only present in isolated pockets of their range where habitat is suitable. Not knowing anything about your yard, it is, of course, possible that your yard is suitable habitat but unless it is an exceptional yard it would be unlikely.

• jerome69
    14 years ago

had problems with voles after building our new house until the garner snakes moved under our rear porch. have not seen a mouse or vole in over a year.the wife does'nt even mind them now.

• rosalinda_gw
    14 years ago

My biggest problem with snakes is that my cats will kill them. It upsets me no end, but fortunately does not happen too often. The darn cats also go after my frogs, don't know how to stop them from doing it and my lectures on what are acceptable and unacceptable kills appear to fall on deaf cat ears....

-Rosalinda

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!