Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
penny1947_gw

Attention Hummer Gardeners

penny1947
17 years ago

The new 2007 spring migration map is up and running so the migration will be starting shortly. Below is the link to the new map.

Here is a link that might be useful: 2007 Ruby-throated Spring Migration Map

Comments (18)

• laurelin
    17 years ago

Thanks, Penny. I checked out the link you gave, and identified my hummer visitors from last year - female rufous hummers. They like my fuchsia, cannas, and lantana. I hope I can attract more this year, with more tubular/red flowers.

Laurel

• penny1947
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Laurel,
    We don't get Rufous hummers here in the summer. The only species that migrates east of the Rockies is the Ruby-Throated. Occasionally Western hummers such as Rufous or Calliope will fly off course during the fall migration and end up in the north east but they are very rare in NY.

Penny

• laurelin
    17 years ago

Oh, okay, then I must have seen female ruby throats. I've never seen a male ruby throat around here. I hope they come back here this summer. They're a real treat to watch buzzing around the yard.

Laurel

• penny1947
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hummers generally will return to the place where they were hatched and spent the previous year as long as there is habitat to support them...such as adequate food including nectar plants, and feeders, adequate shelter from predators, water and a safe place to raise their young. Hummers visit hundreds of plants each day within their large territory. Chances are very good that the same hummers will return to your yard this spring and if the environment is just right for nesting close by they will build a nest in the area and lay their eggs and raise their young. Those babies that survive will come back the next spring and so the cycle will continue and your population could continue to increase over time.

Penny

• laurelin
    17 years ago

Well, THAT'S something to look forward to! Habitat I've got: I live by a ravine with a creek, brushy undergrowth, mature trees, and a line of hemlocks on the upper side. Many people in my neighborhood garden, so I'm not the only one providing flowers. I certainly hope that last year's hummers return and raise their chicks here - it would be exciting to see their numbers increase, and enjoy their antics in the yard.

Laurel

• penny1947
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Laurel
    They usually start arriving in NY in April but most don't arrive until early May. I had one arrive the 27th of April two years ago but it is generaly mid May for me. I hang my first spring feeder in mid April in case of an early arrival. If your habitat has the type of shelter and nesting material they use, they may very well nest close by. There is lots of good reliable info about nectar rich hummer plants and other hummer info readily available

Penny

• nyvoices99
    17 years ago

Penny, I knew I could count on you:0) Thanks :)Anita

• nyvoices99
    17 years ago

Penny,
    I forgot to tell you, they have you to thank for having everything ready for them, they no longer have to knock at the window & say HEY FAT LADY HOW ABOUT SOME FOOD!!!, Thank you so much, I know I don't come over as much as I should, but I do read a lot of what is going on, on the Up State side, again thanks. :)Anita

• penny1947
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey Anita,
    These little flying 'fairies' are my herald to spring and I know there are others that enjoy them as much as I do and we all look forward to their return in the spring. I am only happy to share when the migration is getting ready to start. The first confirmed report of a migrant should hit the map within the next week to 10 days or sooner if the air currants are in their favor.

Penny

• cats39
    17 years ago

Hi Penny and All!

I don't know if you wander over to the Journey North site, but the day after your post of 2/21 JN posted a Hummingbird Migration Update. Apparently there have been sightings over the winter much further North than normal because of the unusual weather. (Are they non-migratory layovers?)

Go to this URL Update and see:
    http://www.learner.org/jnorth/humm/spring2007/Update022207.html#sight

You can peruse the site or go to more Surprise Sightings.

I guess if flowers can bloom in January as some of mine have I'll presume anything can happen as I was open water fishing up until January 14th which is also rare as normally these same waters are covered with walkable ice.

So I don't know if this should be considered a "surprise" our more "frightening" of things to come?

• penny1947
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yes some Ruby-throats do overwinter in the gulf coast states. The southern half of Texas, Louiisana and Miss. along with Florida and Alabama do host a lot of hummers over the winter as they seldom have prolonged freeze damage. Usually only a little frost so they are able to maintain a lot of hummer plants in addition to feeders year round. One of the reports on Journey North was removed as it was confirmed that it wasn't a Ruby throat and may have been a western vagrant which also overwinter along the gulf. The second report is in Hammond La. which is only about an hour or two out of New Orleans. The 3rd and most recent is in Monroe La. which is in the Northern part of the state. From all indications this may be a Rufous that overwintered along the gulf and is starting his migration west or a Ruby that overwintered and is starting its migration a bit early as there have been no confirmed reports from the banders along the gulf yet of any ruby-throats that have hit land. The Rufous migration usually starts a week or two ahead of the Ruby-throated.

Penny

• penny1947
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The migration has started Nancy Newfield, a bander in the suberbs of New Orleans proper has spotted and recorded the first adult male ruby-throated of the season at a garden in Baton Rouge Louisiana about an hour away from N.O.

Penny

• penny1947
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I did forget to mention in my previous reply that there have been quite a few western vagrants that have shown up all over the eastern half of the US this winter. There is one in Louisville Ky that has been there since November. Several Rufous that were banded in Conn. and PA this winter. Rufous are hardier hummers since their breeding territory is Alaska.

I usually check in with Journey North right after checking the migration map.

• nyvoices99
    17 years ago

OK, I looked yesterday, they are moving at us very fast, tried to look today, What's wrong with the map?
    I have a bet going with DH, I need to see the map...HELP...:)Anita

• penny1947
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Happy April Fools day Anita! Lanny was having his April 1st fun. It is fixed now. There is now a 2nd dot for PA. and it looks like it is on the county line between Bucks County and Lehigh County still in the south eastern part of the state. I am pretty sure we still have a few weeks before they hit western NY. They usually hit Corning before they hit Niagara Falls.

Penny

• nyvoices99
    17 years ago

Thanks Penny,
    That was not a funny ha, ha, I was about to cry, I so love checking the map often & he crimped my daily habit. DH says we wont see them till the first week of May, as in the past, I think we will. so glad to see it's back to normal..:)Anita

• penny1947
    Original Author
    17 years ago

There is a report now for just north of Toledo right along the far west point of Lake Erie. It still hasn't been determined if they use the Lake Erie route to reach us or not but it does look promising as it will be a much easier route to take than coming across he Appalachians. There is also a confirmed sighting in Scranton PA which is in Northeast PA. If the winter weather we are expecting doesn't grip too tight we could very easily see earlier returns this year.

Penny

• nyvoices99
    17 years ago

Hi Penny,
    Thinking of your love of birds, I was wondering if you feed the Blue Birds?
    I used to buy my meal worms from Grubco, but thanks to another garden site, I am now buying them from Sunshine meal worms, GREAT price, they are having a sale right now ten thousand meal worms for $25, Just thought I would share that with you, & anyone else that feeds them, Have a great day :)Anita

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!