Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurelin_gw

Interest in a Central NY Plant Swap?

laurelin
16 years ago

Hello everyone,

A couple years ago I held a plant swap in the Binghamton area. It was LOT of fun, and I really would like to do it again. (Last year I had surgery in late spring, and just couldn't do it, but THIS year I am really excited about spring/summer. Oh, do I have PLANS for my yard, lol!)

The tentative date for the swap would be either June 14th or June 21st. (My sister is getting married earlier in the month, so I won't be able to do it before then.) Would there be any interest in having a Central NY Swap this year? Please respond to this post, and if I can get some interest, I'll move ahead with my plans.

Thanks, and I hope we can get together in June.

Laurel

Comments (10)

• Aurore
    16 years ago

Hey Laurel
    I'd be interested in coming down again. My garden is going to pot. I've pretty much surrendered and given up trying to fight the deer. They devastate it each year, but I still poke around in it. Right now I should be planting my seeds that need an early start- coleus, torenia, pansies, gerbras, etc., but it's so discouraging.
    Either of those days you mention would be okay with me.
    Aurore

• laurelin
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, aurore, it will be good to see you again. The date will definitely be June 21st. I have at least one local non-GW friend who would like to participate, and I'm hoping for as many who would like to come to make the trek and join us. See you in June!

Laurel

• amazingrace
    16 years ago

Laurel,

I too am interested in a CNY plant swap. Even though I just started last year, I have a fairly good resource, a nursery/greenhouse, who has helped me select a wide variety of plants. I would be willing to share any I have that do well this year and am also interested in building on what I have.

Amazingrace

• laurelin
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Welcome, amazingrace! This is just for fun, for gardeners of all experience levels (from zilch to master, lol). I'll post details in May, but this will be a fairly open, easygoing swap - more like a bazaar than a strictly-numbered turn-taking lottery. I'm assuming everyone will be fair and generous, and I'll also ask everyone to indicate if a plant is rare/special and worth a special trade in return (equal value rare/special single plant or equal value in multiples of something else more common).

The last time I did this was so much fun. Some people brought only a few things, some brought dozens, but everyone went away pleased with their finds. I had some gorgeous hosta, lemon balm, columbine, astilbe, and an amazing heirloom iris bloom last year from that swap, among other great trades still growing well.

I hope we get more people to join us closer to the actual swap date.

Laurel

• dkotchey
    16 years ago

Laurel has such beautiful gardens, you don't want to miss out. Great gardens to see for inspiration (as well as a good eye candy fix.)I had a great time at the last swap so I'll be there!

p.s. I have non-GW friend they may be interested in coming if that's ok.

~Debbie

• laurelin
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Debbie,

EVERYONE is welcome! I'll just need a head count at the last minute to get enough food together. I'll probably do a "dish to pass" lunch, and provide the utensils, meat, bread and drinks. I like to bake, so I'll most likely provide a dessert or two, too. Hopefully we'll have sunnier weather this time, so we can eat outside.

Phil's Chicken House BBQ, anyone?

Laurel

• amazingrace
    16 years ago

I have to be honest, I can't wait. Do we post lists of what we have and possible requests ahead of time? As for the dish to pass, are you going to have any kind of sign-up?

See you then

• dkotchey
    16 years ago

Phil's BBQ - Yum! Can't wait to trade. June 21 is a good date - it gives more time to pot up my trades. A list of what we have/want might be a good idea.

~Debbie

• laurelin
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LOL, amazingrace - I'll post a sign-up when we get closer. It's early, but I think I might start a new thread with the swap details where we can share our wish/want lists. Give me a day or two to get around to that, life's been a bit crazy.

Deb, isn't Phil's great? Like I need an excuse to go get a tray of BBQ. Hmm, my husband's birthday is this weekend and we're having some people over - Phil's chicken, anyone? LOL!

I was outside today, starting the spring clean-up and early pruning chores. My thumb is sore, but it sure felt good to get a head start on tidying up the yard. I cut off my ornamental grass, hacked back the sage, and thinned/reduced/shaped my multiflora rose. (Yes, I'm nuts - it's invasive, it's a thug, it wants to take over that whole corner of the yard, and I'm growing it ON PURPOSE. But oh, those panicles of white blooms! No black spot, either, and red hips in the fall.)

Laurel

• amazingrace
    16 years ago

I am so glad I am not the only nut who has been out doing some spring clean-up. Well, at least my husband thought I was nuts. He told me to be careful not to kill anything. As I was cutting the invasive prickers that seem to grow around the edges of the yard, I told him if I could only be so lucky. When I was checking things out on Thursday, I even noticed some new green coming up. If you remember, last year was my first year of really getting into gardening, so I am rather excited to see what comes up again and how it does.