Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
party_music50

Upstate NY Birds!

party_music50
11 years ago

Hello all -- I know this forum isn't very active, but I just saw a Red-Bellied Woodpecker for the first time in my life and I am very excited!!!

I've seen Downy Woodpeckers around here quite a lot over the years -- they're very gregarious and will come to the feeders and hang around the yard.

Two years ago I saw a Pileated Woodpecker. OMG they are HUGE!!! and beautiful, of course! It's the only one I've ever seen.

The past two years I've seen a lot of Orioles (always on my fruiting plants!) and I've hardly seen those at all since I was a kid. And when I was young I'd always see Rose-breasted Grosbeak but never see them anymore. The Red-Winged Blackbirds were abundant when I was young, and after not seeing any for decades, they have returned!

I'm not a bird-watcher but I do enjoy seeing and hearing such pretty birds around here. One of these days I hope to actually see a bluebird in NYS -- I've only ever seen them in Massachusetts, and since they are the official NYS bird, I really think I should be able to see one here! :p

Anyway, that's my excitement for the morning. :)

Comments (6)

• herbalbetty
    11 years ago

Isn't it delightful to see and hear the birds?! I live in Schoharie County and we have bluebirds often. Construct and install a few houses and have bird baths set out and it won't be long before you'll see them. Baltimore Orioles love my hummingbird feeder (it looks like a big orange). I don't see as many rose-breasted grosbeaks as I did when I was kid either. Nor evening grosbeaks. Lots of woodpeckers of all sorts up here in the woods.

• diane_nny
    11 years ago

Here is my story about attracting bluebirds.

About 30 years or so ago, there was an article in the National Geographic magazine about how the bluebird population was declining due to lack of suitable nesting spaces (old dead rotten trees). It included dimensions and directions for building a bluebird house that would be attractive to bluebirds, and restrict non-bluebirds.

We had never seen any bluebirds around our place, even though they were the state bird.

My husband went out to his little workshop, and measured and sawed and hammered, and put one of those birdhouses together.

He went out to put it up, and as he was fixing it to the tree, there were two bluebirds flying around his head waiting to move in!!!

So that was pretty exciting, and well worth it. And if you want to see bluebirds in your yard, I recommend putting up a house specifically designed for bluebirds. The worst that could happen is you will end up with a pair of bank swallows, but they are a lot of fun to watch too.

• penny1947
    11 years ago

I am not a die hard bird watcher either but I do enjoy seeing birds other than house sparrows and starlings. Right now I just see the occational black capped chicadee pair and a few house finches. Soon the Ruby throated hummers will be returning and that is where my passion lies.

• ridgetop01 (zone 5b)
    11 years ago

It amazes me that red-bellied woodpeckers do not have red bellies! :-) We have pileateds around our property (east of Syracuse, NY, country) but they never get close enough to see well, I just hear their calls. My daughter, in the poconos (on a mountain) has them close to the house all the time, lucky girl!

• rosesstink
    11 years ago

It seems like once you start noticing birds you then start seeing birds you thought were never there. It's a psychological thing I think. My DH is a big time birder. Most of our vacations involve birding. I'm not into as much as he is but I enjoy seeing the different species and their different behaviors. A lot of my garden planning is to include things that birds (and butterflies) will be drawn to. Enjoy the birds!

• party_music50
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It's nice to know that others enjoy casual bird watching. :)

I knew that bluebirds need a specific house type because there's an area near here where NYS installed bluebird houses many years ago to see if they could determine the local population. I've never seen a bluebird there. I've also never heard of them liking rotted trees!

I don't get why a Red-Bellied Woodpecker is named that way either.... I had to look in the bird book to identify it and wondered why the heck it was called that. LOL!

Right now I'm anxious to see my first robin of the year!!! but for me that usually happens around March 22. :p