Return to the Upstate New York Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing erica carnea in New York??

Posted by yoyobon (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 20, 14 at 8:56

I'm reading one of my favorite writers of cozy English books....Beverley Nichols.
He writes with humor about refurbishing a 1930's cottage and gardens in England in " Down The Garden Path".

I find that his reference to various flowers, especially winter flowering types has piqued my interest.

Does anyone know if it is possible to grow erica carnea ( winter heather) in New York ?

All the sites I have found regarding this plant are UK sites.

Thanks for your help :0)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing erica carnea in New York??

Although Erica carnea is listed for Zone 5a it requires a special planting technique to keep it growing for years. This is the method I used in the Zone 5 upstate area. Dig a shallow planting hole, Place a good sized flat rock a few inches in the hole flat and plant the Erica sideways with all the roots under the rock. Fill in the planting hole, covering the rock with a bit of soil if you wish. Plant foliage will turn and grow upright again shortly. The flat rock protects the roots from freezing. May be a bit of winter burn depending on snow cover but heather should recover well. This technique can be used for any perennial on the questionable edge of a growing zone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Upstate New York Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here