Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
magicman2u

Tranplanting Lupine?

magicman2u
18 years ago

Paper pots....where do I get ...or how do I make! I will need them for my Lupine and Morning Glories...since they don't transplant easily. Any ideas?....Thanks Wayne

Comments (6)

• penny1947
    18 years ago

Wayne
    You can make your own by wrapping strips of layered newspaper around a spice bottle, pill bottle, etc. I use about 3 sheets of newspaper that I cut or tear off a half page. I make the strips about 4 or 5 inches tall and I wrap them around the bottle, jar or whatever is available. Fold the bottm in at the base to hold the soil in. Add soil, soak well and place in a milk jug or other container and plant the seeds. Here is a link with more specific instruction. It really does work like a charm. I think the paper pot also provides a little extra protection for the roots in early spring.

Penny

Here is a link that might be useful: Paper Pot how-to

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    18 years ago

As seedlings, they handle transplanting quite readily. The roots are reasonably brittle, and where the problem comes in is breaking them. However, if they are in a pot, in a mass, a little care is all that is needed.

• Dottie B.
    18 years ago

You can also use toilet paper rolls or paper towel rolls cut down. Just stand them up in a container so they are packed in tightly (you can use rolled up newspaper to fill in the gaps if they are wobbly). Then pack in the moist soil into the tubes and sow your seeds. Once you are ready to transplant, you can plant them directly in the soil or tear away some of the layers of the roll before planting. Since the tubes are so tall, the roots grow down and don't tend to grow around and around themselves.

• tastefullyjulie
    18 years ago

Or buy peat pods at walmart. I paid $8 for like 100 of them

• magicman2u
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well I stopped at Menny Nursery today and saw those small paper pots and broke down and bought a few! I will also use and save my paper rolls ...I was thinkin of that too! The paper around the spice bottle hmmm that a great idea. Sounds like origomi folding! Thanks again for all your help....wayne

• penny1947
    18 years ago

I have used peat pots in the past but found that they dried out quicker and they weren't deep enough for the roots to develop. I probably still have about a dozen somewhere. It also took them much longer to break down.

Wayne you found paper pots at Menne's??? I will have to go over there and check them out. I had forgotten to mention the paper towel toilet paper rolls, thanks Adina.

Penny

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus