Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
penny1947_gw

Sowing yet?

penny1947
14 years ago

Has anyone started sowing their seeds yet?

I started a few seeds in November. Of those I have

18 Agastache rupestris seedling

Salvia Scarlet Spires 3 seedlings

Salvia coccinea sprouted in an overwintered pot 4 seedlings

Cuphea micropetala 3 seedlings

Last week of Jan. I sowed:

Cana patens 1 seedling up as of Feb. 7

Nicotiana mutabilis . oodles of seedlings Feb 6

Coral Bean

Salvia elegans 'Honey Melon Sage' 10 seedlings Feb.7

Penstemon eatonii

The following were sown Feb. 4

Stachys coccinea

Salvia greggii 'Pink Perfection'

Silene virginica (wintersown)

Too many seeds to do and not enough time!

Penny

Comments (9)

• misskimmie
    14 years ago

I do have some basil and lavender seedlings under the grow lights. I have not yet started winter sowing, but I've been thinking about it. I have seeds left over from last year and new one that I ordered from Artistic Gardens or pick up during trips to Walmart or Lowes. I'm hoping to sort though and see what I have and what I still need. Ohh, I wish I had some cupheaand penstemon seeds. Good luck with your garden this year.

kim

• disneynut1977 ~ Melissa
    14 years ago

I started WSing in December. I'm not gonna start anything inside this year.

Melissa1977

• penny1947
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Most of what I started inside is up and running which is what I needed to get my hummer garden started early. I still have way too many seeds to sow and since many are tender I will have to wait until next month to winter sow those.

Penny

• booberry85
    14 years ago

I just started a bunch of things yesterday.
    Leeks
    Hot peppers (14 kinds)
    Sweet peppers (2 kinds)
    Cranberries
    Rhubarb
    Basil (8 kinds)
    Greek Oregano
    Marjoram
    Parsley
    Echinacea (several kinds)
    Rudbeckia (several kinds)
    Pansies (3 different kinds)
    Snapdragons
    Daisies (several different kinds)
    Datura (2 different kinds)

and a few things I'm probably missing.

• penny1947
    Original Author
    14 years ago

booberry
    That is an impressive list. I haven't started any veggies yet. I need to make more room SOMEWHERE for morecell paks as I am already running out of room inside.

Penny

• mulchy
    14 years ago

Hi Penny,
    I have not started sowing yet!! Have been getting some seeds together, walmart had some American seed co. seeds for 20 cents a pkg. I also got Liberty seeds at Country Max store in Batavia, I have used them before and good luck with them. I have bunch of saved seeds from my garden that I have to get together. I will probably will start in early March!!! I have acouple friends coming to do it with me, so it will be fun!!!
    HAPPY SOWING!!! ginger

• nycynthias
    14 years ago

Wow, booberry you are way ahead of the game! So far, I have started peppers (hot and sweet) and I'm experimenting for the first time with winter sowing (in coke bottles, lol) some broccoli and parsley. I'll probably start more broccoli, parsley in peat pots tomorrow too, and a few more herbs in a week or so. In the past I've had trouble keeping basil happy indoors, which is why I'm waiting on that one especially.
    Has anyone else had a hard time locating leek seeds this year? I have yet to see any at my garden centers and really hate paying shipping for a couple of seed packets from online sources.

• booberry85
    14 years ago

Last year some of my hot pepper seeds took over a month to germinate. They almost missed the season! So I wanted to start them early in case the same thing happens this year. So far no pepper seeds have germinated but some of the flowers have. I think I'm going to have my hands full before I start hardening them off!

So the question is, I'm going to have to work next weekend. Do I start tomatoes & broccoli this weekend or wait for the 1st weekend in March?

Nycynthias,I'm not a big leek grower although I've started some for this year. However, now that you mention it, I haven't seen them in the stores. It seems this year, the stores have lots of seeds but not lots of variety.

• Edie
    14 years ago

I'm another WinterSow newbie, so far I have 8 containers WS's with flowers:
    Snapdragon "Black Prince"
    White Sweet Sultan (old seed, never planted before)
    Mixed Sweet Sultan
    Blue Bachelor's Buttons
    Sweet Alyssum
    Night Phlox
    Nicotiana
    Calendula "Zeolights"

Indoors I planted some herbs under lights, hoping to have something to snip for the kitchen. "Delfino" cilantro and "Fernleaf" dill are growing well. "Purple Ruffles" and "Genovese" basil are sulking.
    I also have six "Fish" pepper seedlings, no true leaves yet. I had ten seeds planted within 24 hours of the seeds' arrival, because I just couldn't wait. I've grown peppers from seed before but not these.

I have more still to plant, but it's all going to be WS/Spring sown/direct sown except for more peppers. I'm limited in space both indoors and out.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022