Return to the Upstate New York Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
my barn bed - orange and yellow - lots of photos

Posted by gottagarden z5 western NY (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 4, 12 at 9:48

I'm finally looking at all those pictures I took this summer. This is my barn bed, I've posted in previous years, but now you can see how it's changing over time. I've let it get a bit overgrown by the gold thugs, and need to thin a lot this spring.

(BTW I'm cross posting this to the perennials/cottage forum, the other forums I follow. I just thought I'd post it here for you locals :-)

The barn is a little ways from the house, and I usually walk there through my vegetable garden. Well, it's got some vegetables, but the gloriosa daisies have seeded in and they were so pretty I let them be. For this year.

From Barn Bed - Oranges and Yellows

It's late to get started, peaking in July, August and September.

July

euphorbia fireglow and poppies

July - lilies, poker plant, maltese cross, gaillardia

Too much gold here, going to remove the black eyed susans.
But the back row is 6-7 feet tall with no staking. Cup plant and outhouse flower.

The south end is soft yellows in early July. I've hardly changed this at all over the years, the plants are well behaved and don't spread too much. One day I want to change this to hot colors, but I never have the time and it's pretty as is, and low maintenance.

By late July this bed is quite overgrown.

My bench is almost hidden, but accessible from a small path running through the middle. The paint is fading, I'm thinking of going with dark orange. Or dark blue. What do you think?

When you ask a boy to smile, this is what you get

In October, I've still got grasses, and the maximilian sunflower.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: my barn bed - orange and yellow - lots of photos

Lovely! What is the feathery plant third picture down lower right corner?

o

spiraea ogon, fabulous all season long

o

I've had the pleasure of visiting Brenda's gardens and they are spectacular...keep up the good work my friend!

o

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 13, 12 at 19:47

I was just going to say the same thing as Husky!
Great pics,
Remy

o

love your barn bed, brenda. you have SUCH a green thumb!! ;)

o

Just delicious!!!!!

Orange for the bench

Today I noticed that my honeysuckle vine is leafing out - ugh, hope I don't lose it all

All my gardens need a major overhaul - hopefully I will get to it this year.

-Rosalinda

o

Rosalinda, I suggest overhauling just one bed at a time, rather than all at once. I have a couple that need redoing, and it's such a big job!

o

Bren
Will you come and redo my bed(s)??? Thank you so much for posting the pics here. It looks fantastic! Maybe I will get to see it first hand one of these years.

o

Absolutely gorgeous.

I have to wonder... assuming you take care of all of this yourself, how much time do you spend working on your gardens??? Even routine deadheading must take you FOREVER! lol!

o

this is a very low maintenance bed. I cut back with a weed whacker in the fall. I mulch in the spring every other year. I might even weed in the spring, but I don't always get around to it. That's all. these are super tough plants they don't need coddling. Also they're so crowded there's not much room for weeds. (although there are weeds . . . .) I don't deadhead, no time for that.

I wish I could afford a gardener!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Upstate New York Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here