Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
misskimmie

What are your plans for garden '08

misskimmie
16 years ago

Hi

I've been planning and dreaming about my garden in '08. (Here are my plans, not in any particular order.)

1. Wintersow lots of seeds. ( status: in progress 50 containers to date!)

2. Add more natives to my little patch of "woods". (Who wants to trade?)

3. Attract hummers and more butterflies, ( status: have ordered/winter sown plants that will attract them. Will put up and maintain several hummingbird feeders.

4. Increase size of veggie beds - more variety. This means I have to deal with rabbits and woodchucks.

5. Clear out the massive mounts of weeds from strawberry beds.

6. Develop a small meadow garden for coneflowers, milkweed etc.

7. Get DH to hook up the rainbarrel.

8. Start collecting seeds so I will have some to trade and wintersow next year.

9. Plants more fruits- replace the old gooseberries, new apple tree, more blueberry. etc.

1. Finish writing my book on New York Wildflowers before April.

What are your garden plans ?

Kim

Comments (42)

• penny1947
    16 years ago

More hummer plants and more feeders. I have already purchased 6 more feeders so that I can rotate feeders rather than take them down, clean refil and rehang. I have a dozen Cuphea ignea 'David Verity' cuttings rooted, growing and starting to bloom. Salvia greggii seeds are sown Cuphea micropetala seeds are sown, abutilon pictum is blooming off and on, Hamelia patens is begining to bloom. Baja Fairy duster is putting on a beautiful show of blooms. We had two trees removed in front last fall so I will have an additional full sun bed that will be filled with Salvias, Agastaches and Cuphea. I planted out one S.greggii in late summer and 2 red Yuccas in mid summer and a crossvine in September so I will see how they faired over the winter. Still need to sow my Salvia Azurea seeds and Salvia g. Black and Blue

Penny

• laurelin
    16 years ago

I can hardly wait to start my outdoor gardening - it hasn't been a BAD winter, really, but I would enjoy the outside, physical activity now; I'm craving SUNSHINE. I've got a lot of new plants from last year to look forward to blooming this year. In no particular order, I hope to:

1. Finish winter sowing (I'm at 43 containers, and by the time I sow my daylilies and tender annuals I'll be over 120).
    2. Start the project of terracing my back yard. This summer, I'll at least do the top terrace, and a series of small raised beds stepping down the side of a short hill.
    3. Add plants to my woodland garden area, and MULCH. (Misskimmie, I've got galium odoratum, dicentra eximia, and variegated solomon's seal to trade, if you're interested. I'm looking for dry-shade-tolerant plants, and any variegated hostas. Drop me a line!)
    4. Move things around in my perennial beds, to make better combinations.
    5. Edit my daylily collection, to keep only the best performers at my house. A good friend has given me space in her garden, so the "also rans" will move there, and I can still breed with them if I want to. She'll also play "hostess" to some of the many daylily seedlings I hope to be overrun with by June.
    6. Also at my friend's house, plant a large veggie garden with her. I'll probably plant a few tomatoes and bush crops here at home, and scarlet runner beans on the back fence, and purple pole beans on the side fence, but I really would like to grow MORE veggies, and I just don't have the space for a dedicated veggie garden. If the terracing project works out over the next year or so, I'll have a veggie patch at home again.
    7. Prune the black currants, a yearly task in mid-March. They need to be thinned and shortened. I'm underplanting them and the rhubarb beside them with alpine strawberries.
    8. I'm hoping to attract more hummers to my yard this year. I have a couple each year, but I'd love to have more. I've got my first hummer feeder, but I think I might buy a spare like Penny is doing, so I can rotate them. Thanks for the idea!
    9. Take pictures of EVERYTHING. I love taking pictures of the garden. I'm fascinated by the details of flowers, and I want to pay more attention to the overall design of my beds as well.

Laurel

• penny1947
    16 years ago

Laurel,
    I couldn't help commenting on #8 of your list. I actually have over a dozen hummer feeders and by mid season I have at least 6 out. The trick is to get them to stay when they arrive in the spring. If they have adequate nectar plants in addition to feeders (not all hummers have learned to use feeders), trees and shrubs for nesting and protection, you have agood chance that tthey will nest in the area, raise their young and then those babies will return the following year to raise their young. Having early blooming plants for them is almost a must. I grew lots of Native Eastern Columbine (Aquiegia canadensis( which blooms early in addition I usually have at least a half dozen Salvia coccinea and a Salvia guaranitca or two in bloom. My coral honeysuckle starts blooms pretty early and last year I added a crossvine which is the spring blooming equivilent of Trumpet Creeper but not invasive like its couzin. I am hoping that several of my overwintered plants will be ready to bloom as soon as we start staying in the 60's. If you have some spring bloomers for them and places where they can nest closeby they will be happy.

Penny

• penny1947
    16 years ago

One thing I forgot to mention is that I am planning to grow an entire row of Cuphea ignea David Verity down the side of my driveway (for my hummers of course) So far I have over 15 cuttings rooted and one is in flower.

I have also been keeping a close watch on my red flowering yuccas for frost heave. Last year I lots the ones I planted out in the garden so in late summer I planted some more right in front of my south faicing porch for extra protection. So far they are still looking good so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Penny

• laurelin
    16 years ago

Thanks Penny! I do have some native columbine, but not enough - I'll either sow more, or hope the ones I have self-sow. I harvested and scattered their seeds in my woodland garden area last fall, so we'll see if I get some plants from that. I'm going to plant more red annuals this year than other colors, for a "quick fix" for the hummers (like scarlet runner beans, zinnias, lantana, some salvia, and maybe red nicotiana). I might also crowd in some titonia and spanish flag. I'll have to go check out crossvine.

I've never heard of a red-flowering yucca - that must be gorgeous! Do you have a photo? I'd like to get one of the hardy white ones. The question with all these wonderful plants is, WHERE WILL I PUT THEM ALL???

Laurel

• penny1947
    16 years ago

Laurel,
    I did the red nicotiana three years in a row and the hummers ignored it. The will use the nicotiana glauca though.

I don't have a picture of my red flowering yucca because it hasn't bloomed yet. It may be another year before it starts to bloom. It isn't actually a Yucca the botanical name is Hesperaloe parviflora. below is a link to a gorgeous picture of the flowers on Dave's Garden. The plant stays relatively small and mounding but the spikes get several feet tall.

Your native columbine should reseed really well. I find that seeds that fall naturally after they mature will sprout by late summer and then bloom the following spring so you may have some nice surprises awaiting you this spring. One of my two year old plants got about 3 ft. tall and bloomed well into summer.

I have overwintered my Dallas Red Lantana. It isn't the best hummer plant but off course the butterflies love it too. Another good one is Pentas. Here are the real hummer workhorses in my yard and ones I will never be without. These all bloom all summer long...
    Salvia coccinea (any variety)
    Salvia guaranitica (any variety)
    Cuphea ignea 'David Verity'
    Coral Honeysuckle

Then I fill in with agastaches, salvia greggiis, early bloomers like crossvine, maltese cross and native Iris fulva, late bloomers like cardinal flower, Ssalvia azurea, crocosmia, etc.

Maltese cross by the way is perennials and if you keep the dead flower heads pinched back it will prolong the bloom time.

Penny

Here is a link that might be useful: False Red Yucca

• remy_gw
    16 years ago

You've all got such good plans! I haven't thought that far ahead, lol. I usually end up with too many plans, so I need to keep it simple.

Penny,
    I too am praying my Red Yucca does not frost heave either. Last year, I planted it early though since trying to get it bigger in the container and plant later didn't work well the year before. So hopefully the earlier planting helped. It survived the summer without supplimental watering so hopefully that little thing sent down deep roots to anchor it. All my cactus that I planted in that area last year are alive as far as I can tell.

Laurel,
    I've got seeds for the Red Yucca if you want. I do feel like a seed pimp, lol!
    The hardy regular yucca is very nice. I have a variegated one 'Bright Edge'.
    Remy

Here is a link that might be useful:

• laurelin
    16 years ago

Lol Remy! I think I'll pass on the red yucca for now - I'm in the midst of winter sowing, and I just realized how many things I have yet to sow. Eeek! I love the cactus in your picture, the flowers are gorgeous. . . .

Penny,
    Thanks for the tips! I've seen pentas, but I've never grown it. I'll have to give that a try. I do have Maltese cross, a big clump. I'll deadhead it and see if I can get it to bloom longer. I also have seed for salvia guaranitica, so I'll give those a try. From a seed exchange I got quite a few salvias, blues/purples, and I was wondering which one to try (since my space is at a premium, I can't sow ALL of them - rats!). Now I know!

Laurel

• faltered
    16 years ago

Wow, you are all planning so far ahead! I have lots to do this year, as I just barely started with the garden last season. I think this year I will focus on the front & side of the house. I'd like to make some beds along the driveway to pretty up that area.

I'd also LOVE to start incorporating veggies & more herbs into my beds. There is nothing like walking outside to pick some home-grown goodies. Remy- I still have your strawberries and can't wait to see how much bigger they'll have gotten this year.

Tracy

• dkotchey
    16 years ago

First let me comment on the hummingbirds. I've never been a bird watcher. However last year I purchased a tropical Hibiscus topiary for my deck and those hummingbirds were everywhere. I just fell in love with them. I have some other hummingbird lover perennials but I've never seen as many as I did last year with the Hibiscus. I'll be sure to put the Hibiscus out again this year (it's being stored for the winter). I also purchased a hummingbird feeder for this year but after reading the posts I think I'll get a couple more.

Every year I have so many plans! I hope to accomplish some of last years plans this year. LOL. I've slowly been working on a garden that resides between my house and the neighbors. I really didn't design it ahead of time so it's not one of my favorite gardens (a little to 'messy'for my taste). I'd like for it to be a privacy garden and want it to look nice on both sides (that seems to be my struggle with this garden). I plan to add evergreens and flowering shrubs mixed in with the perennials and ornamental grasses that I already have. I actually plan to start from scratch in this area. I'm going to take out the perennials and save them in containers and then plant the evergreens and shrubs and then fill in with the perennials.I do much better if I have all my plants in front of me. I've tried putting it on paper but that doesn't seem to work. I'm a hands on kind of person. I'm sure my DH will be thrilled with the cost of the evergreens and shrubs. :)

Container gardening is my passion. I sowed and winter sowed over 700 annuals (400 impatiens, 75 coleus, 25 begonias, 40 petunias, and the remaining were misc winter sowed annuals.) Impatiens, coleus, begonias, and petunias are the last plants I thought I'd ever love to plant. But they perform wonderful for me. I place these plants in containers and put them on my deck and throughout the garden. I move the containers around in the garden to spots that are bare at different times during the season. So may plan is to winter sow much much more annuals this year.

My 3rd plan is to enlarge my veggie container garden on my deck. Last year I had wonderful luck with mohican eggplants - nice looking plant and yummy to eat. I just purchased several veggies seeds suited for containers (tomatoes, cucumbers, 2 types of eggplant).

4th plan is to make 2 small gardens for my kids to plant their own flowers and veggies. We may try a few stalks of corn and pumpkins. Not sure how those are going to fit in small gardens. We will see. We may try growing the pumpkins vertically.

I must have too much time on my hands this morning. Thanks for reading!

Debbie

• laurelin
    16 years ago

Hi Deb!

Your plans sound fantastic! Penny has really encouraged me to try to plant more hummer-friendly plants too. I have one feeder, but I'm going to get a second one so I can swap them out for cleaning. I like your garden on the slope by the driveway and around the front of your house, even though it's not your favorite. I like the natural, shady gardens you have there. I hope you can come to the plant swap on June 21st, I'd love to see you again!

If you're looking for a full-sized pumpkin that doesn't take up yards and yards of space, you might try 'Hybrid Bush Spirit.' I've grown it several times over the past 8 years, and it's great. It's a "dwarf" (which is realtive for pumpkins, I know) and the vines only ran about 6-7 feet. The pumpkins were 10-15 lbs, golden orange and smooth, and ripened early - if you plant them in late May/Early June they'll be ripe by mid September, so you might want to hold off planting until later. I'm going to grow them again this year, at my friend's house. We're doing a large veggie garden together, but I'll still have some veggies in my yard (pole beans, runner beans, maybe some other goodies - horizontal space is at a premium, lol!).

Laurel

• dkotchey
    16 years ago

Hi Laurel!

Did I miss something - I didn't know you were having a swap again!?! Yippy, I'd LOVE to come!

The slope garden and front of the house garden are some of my favorites. It's my 'new' privacy garden on the side of my house that I don't like too much. I hope to change that this year. :) I'm use to working with the shade garden in front. I think that's why I'm having a hard time with the sunny side of my house. I hope my new plan works out for the side garden.

Let me know details about the swap - I'll be there!

Debbie

• dkotchey
    16 years ago

Laurel, I just found the post about the swap. :) :)

• penny1947
    16 years ago

Laurel,
    Just a quickie note on the S. guaranitica seeds that you received in a swap. There is a very good chance that they will not come true. Salvia guanranitica is notorious from crossing with other salvias. Mine tend to cross with the Salvia coccinea species. I usually have about 20% of my seeds that produce true seedlings. I am not a purest so I don't mind and the hummers loved the red quaranitcas as much as they liked the parent plant. The only sport they ignored were the Lavender sports. Those plants stayed much shorter and even though the flowers were loaded with nectar, the hummers seemed to miss them in the wild array of other plants.

I will be adding quite a few zone 7-9 plants this year. I now have 16 Cuphea igneas rooted with one blooming, one Aniscathus wrightii bushing out that I am going to try and strike cuttings of a Hamelia patens that is going to climb out of my front window if it gets much bigger, 2 addition Calliandtas that I hope will bloom this year. I have 11 out of 12 Salvia greggiis sprouted and almost ready to pot up and about the same of Salvia coccinea 'Forest Fire' Still have oodles of seeds that I haven't even started on yet.

One note on the hummer feeders/nectar. Please be sure to use only sugar water....no commerial nectar mix. Besides being cheaper to make your own it is safer b/c there are no additives. The recommended ration is 1 part sugar to 4 parts water.

Penny

• remy_gw
    16 years ago

Tracy,
    It is nice to hear you took the strawberries with you to the new home! They should make nice berries for you this year.
    If you can make it to the swap this year, I got lots of plants to give give you including herbs.

Laurel,
    Penny is addictive with the plants. It is worse in person : ) She always brings salvias and stuff to try at the WNY swap.

Debbie,
    I've really gotten more into annuals and container gardening since winter sowing. WSing really makes it so affordable and interesting. I've been growing annuals that are so different than the regular ones that all the nurseries have.
    Remy

• laurelin
    16 years ago

Penny, thanks for the salvia g. info. I don't mind if there's some variation in the seedlings. In fact, I'd be happy to get some red ones. Can you tell before they bloom (from stem color?) what color they're likely to be?

A quick question: do the hummers have a preference between beet and cane sugar? Does it matter at all? I usually buy cane.

Laurel

• krazyaroider
    16 years ago

My garden plans here in Hamburg consists of adding topsoil to existing beds to ensure excellent drainage for my Asian Arisaemas (Jack In Pulpit spp.)
    Planting out numerous tubers of Asian Arisaema Spp. that were started from seed. I am a member of the Arisaema Enthusiast Group. Membership is free and easy! Just google Arisaema Enthusiast Group - I only had the native American spp. when I joined, so do not fret about not having Asians when you join!

I also will be starting more/ different Asian Arisaema from seed. I also grow different forms of the common jack in the pulpit found in this area.

I will be planting out the latest hardy Southern Magnolia to my trials. This one is Magnolia grandiflora '24 below'. It will join an unnamed clone from an order mistake from Appalachian Gardens, plus Edith Bogue, Brackens Brown Beauty, Pocano. I researched southern magnolias and realized if they can successfully grow them in NE Ohio - Cleveland area, same zone - why not here?

I have acquired seed from Trachycarpus fortuneii Spp.. I believe these palms may be hardy in my area in town, so I bought some seed. Of course these will be grown on for a few years before planting out.

I have noticed many of you speak of hummers - why not plant Red Buckeye and Ruby Red Horse Chestnut. I also have a sterile pink double rose of sharon that they love. Red is the key color for hummers from what I have read.
    I would just love Winter to leave - just like the obnoxious guest that will not leave the party!

• penny1947
    16 years ago

krazyaroider
    I have a red buckeye that I ordered last year at the end of the summer. I also have several seeds sown so I am hoping that at least one or two germinate. They can be tricky as the seeds have to be sown almost as soon as they are ripe.

Laurel
    As Remy said I am addicted with my hummer plants so much so that even people over at our Hummingbird Forum think I have gone over the edge. I just sprouted 9 Desert Willow tree seeds....Now who in their right mind is going to grow a Desert Willow in western NY or anywhere else in NY for that matter.

As for determining the color of the bloom of Salvias. The answer is yes and no. If the stem is dark or turns dark you have a better chance of the plant coming true to the parent. If they stem has a reddish hue you have a good chance of the flower being red but it isn't 100%. If it is green it is a crap shoot.

Yes hummers actually do seem to prefer the cane sugar to the beet sugar. I have tried both and while they will drink from a feeder with beet sugar they do favor the feeders with the cane sugar. I have found that generally store brands use beet sugar although it doesn't state it. Cane sugar will be labeled as granulated cane sugar. Wal-mart's store brand sells both granulated sugar and granulated cane sugar so you have to make sure it does say cane. I buy the good stuff for my babies and the cheap stuff for my husband b/c he doesn't know the difference LOL!
    Penny

• disneynut1977 ~ Melissa
    16 years ago

I didn't know you could use cane sugar, I thought only white processed sugar grains. You stated your hummer's prefer cane? I'll have to stock up myself than since it's more $ for cane sugar. I'll check out Walmart and see Aldi's. I *think* Aldi's has cane sugar too.

I plan on adding 3 more feeders myself this year and will be growing alot more hummer and butterfly friendly stuff. I had 1 male and 1 female RT coming to my feeders the last 2 years, but couldn't get them to stick with me through the summer, so I want to give them quite a variety of sources of nectar. I also want to provide a misting bird bath, but that might be next year due to lack of extra $.

I also am having (hopefully I can afford this much) 5 yards of compost delivered to my house to start building up the beds I'm working with this year. My hubby had a full size pick-up the last 2 years. It worked great. I found a very good source old aged horse manure (beautiful D.brown and crumbly) for free, that wasn't too far from my house, but my hubby sold the truck this past fall, so I have to have stuff delivered now.

I'm putting in 2 different strawberry beds this year, only gonna do a cherry tomato bed this year and concintrait more on flowers and moving stuff around this year.

My hubby is gonna try to slowly cut down 1 of our 2 very old maples in the front yard. It will open up so much sun for me. Which is great since pretty much everything I like is full sun.

I'm also hoping, by next year I will have alot to contribute and can attend 1 of the local exchanges. My husbands co-workers had 1 last year, but I wasn't ready. I'm still trying to stock up my garden.

It's gonna be a busy year for me.

• krazyaroider
    16 years ago

Penny ~
    Regarding the Red Buckeye seed, I recall last summer/early fall reading an article the Red Buckeye when sown in fall will send out the root quite soon after sowing. This happened with my seeds that I sowed "just for the heck of it". I put that pot into my fruit cellar along with other pots for the winter. In January, I checked the fruit cellar and found white sprouts. I moved that pot into a SW window where they have greened up and awaiting their time to go outside. I did not find them difficult, since I was forwarned by the article. Sorry, I do not remember what article it was, but I now know it is true!
    If you want them, I could meet you at Menne Nursery when it warms up more at a predetermined time. I go to Mennes when the spring/summer plants are in.

• Dottie B.
    16 years ago

My plans for this year are to get the greenhouse built pronto. We are making it out of old wooden framed windows and doors. Then I need to re-establish a veggie and gourd bed because the greenhouse is going where the current veggie and gourd beds are.

After that my goal is to grow more veggies in the hopes of reducing our grocery bill just a little bit (and to be healthier in the process). I've never been much of a veggie grower. DH is dying for some blueberries, so I'd like to plant some of those also.

Then I just need to make sure I plant all the things I have bought from a plant co-op I belong to. I have 2-3 flats overwintering in the veggie garden (hope they make it) and probably another 4 flats coming this spring. I'm trying to stick with daylilies, iris, and hosta, but it's hard when the prices are so darn good. I have some shrubs and roses coming also, and those will probably need to be in pots for this year, so I need to set up a special area for plants that don't have a permanent home yet.

• misskimmie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Adina, your GW profile is interesting. Do you have any pictures of your garden art? I've been wanting to make some and though I'm not adverse to scavenging, i haven't collected any materials yet.

kim

• Dottie B.
    16 years ago

I sure do Kim. I have a website with most everything listed on it. I also have pretty detailed instructions for most things I make.

Here are a few things:

{{gwi:1322304}}
    {{gwi:1322306}}
    {{gwi:1322308}}
    {{gwi:189064}}

Here is a link that might be useful: My Gardens and Crafts Website

• gottagarden
    16 years ago

Adina, you have such beautiful gardens!

My big plan for this year is to completely redo my side garden - move everything, change paths, etc. It may not be doable, things might start growing too soon and be to late to move, but I want to change the path layouts. DH thinks I'm crazy, why would I change something that already
    works?

I also plan to transplant a bunch of Rose of Sharon shrubs, redbud trees, other small trees, etc.

Need to do a low stone wall out front by the driveway.

etc, etc, etc,

• rbirch
    16 years ago

Hey Krazy Aroider, I grow hardy palms too! I have 2 Trachycarpus fortunei Tennessee form I purchased from plant delights, I planted them last spring so this will be their first winter. I got back from florida a couple weeks ago and I picked up a 7 gallon needle palm and a 3 gallon trachycarpus in hilton head south carolina. I also grow Musa Basjoo too and those things get big! Dont give up on the palm trees they take a little work , but I think its worth it. Glen.

• krazyaroider
    16 years ago

Glen ~ & others...
    I do not give up easily, especially on plants!
    I assume you read my post/profile so you have an idea what I grow...Its a jungle here!

Plant Delights is excellent - my Arisaema order came this morning. I recieved Arisaema urashima, ringens - 'Black Mamba'. I also have some Arisaemas from Seneca Hill Perennials. This nursery is in NYS and is an excellent source of plants/flowers/small trees. I am going to grow them in clay pots as that makes them produce offset tubers - more to plant around.
    I have to move my Musa basjoo, it has been growing too well next to the house for at least 4 years.

Another tree that I am planting this year is
    Albizia julibrissin 'Summer Chocolate'. I found 2 at a reputable west coast nursery, while I was awaiting their response, I bid successfully on one from ebay. I paid just a little more for 3 than Wayside Gardens wants for one!These will grow in the Buffalo area as there were 2 adult ones in the area. One was in Blasdell and one in Cheektowaga.

Glen - a must have book is "Palms won't grow here and other myths". It is written by David A. Francko. Borders can order it for you, just give them the title & author, when it comes in, they will call you.

• quidort
    16 years ago

Hi. I'm new to this forum and new to gardening (kind of). We purchased our first home this past November and since then I've been itching to get outside and tend to the gardens. We have a small city lot that has a lot of room from improvement. The previous owner took good care of her few plants but there are just a few along the property line. I, however, have much more illustrious plans/aspirations for our lot.

So my plans are:
    1. Landscape/design the back yard.
    1a. Plant privacy/bird-friendly shade-tolerant shrubs along fence.
    1b. Design garden for 4 seasons.
    1c. Hit jackpot to afford all tools/plants/materials.

2. Landscape/design the front yard.
    2a. Consider sun garden along property line.
    2b. Plant annuals/hardy salt-tolerant perennials along grass strip and under street tree.

3. Start composting.

4. Purchase rain barrel
    4a. Incorporate rain barrel into design.

I'm trying to understand that I can't do it all this first season but we'll see how much I do get done.

Caroline

• misskimmie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Welcome Caroline,

Hope you will find lots of info, encouragement and friendship here. Post pictures of your progress OK ?

Good luck with your plans

kim

• husky004_
    16 years ago

My plans for garden '08...gonna hit it all with WeedBGone and cover the entire yard in concrete painted green!! Sit back relax and drink Martini's all summer long!!!

• husky004_
    16 years ago

I'm kidding lol gonna plant more tropicals, my brugs, my passiflora's and more...been a long cruel winter and can't wait til Spring.

• mrconran
    16 years ago

So far I have put up a 10x12 greenhouse.
    I have the basement full of seed trays.
    The greenhouse is almost full of small plants.
    I have ordered over 5000 dayliles which should be here in May.
    Also have over 1600 oriental and asiatic lilies ordered.
    Planning a 12x40 greenhouse as soon as the ground thaws.
    Lastly want to sell some plants at the new g/h to pay for all of this! LOL!!

• emann8
    16 years ago

wow, plans and rebuilding, I won't be done till 09 Lol.
    Took a new job last fall moving out of state. Wife desided it wasn't going to work (couldn't leave the grandkids) I am left w/well what I asked for leaving the garden to a non-gardener! What a mess Like starting all over. At least the soil is still all there!

E

• penny1947
    16 years ago

krazyaroider
    Somehow I missed your earlier post about the Red buckeyes, If they offer still stands I would love to get one from you. Drop me an email when you plan to go to Menne's. I was there a about a week and a half ago but they basically only had tulips and pansies and a few very hardy perennials. They did get some young pots of Royal Bed Buddliea which I was looking for so I grabbed those but still waiting for some good stuff.

Penny

• lilylouise
    16 years ago

Wow again MrC. I'm tired just thinking about all those lilies.
    I'm planning to convert the 24 ft diameter above ground pool area to raised bed gardens. so far the pool is gone and 3 out of 5 of the raised beds are constructed. Still need to distribute the rocks that ringed the pool into each bed and order the dirt to fill each one. I'm also finally creating a compost heap. This soil is so sandy. It really needs compost and lots of it.
    I'm getting a little bird crazy. My SIL in South Carolina has attracted blue birds to her back yard. so far there have been 3 fledged families. I would love to do the same but worry that blue birds are not prevalent in this area. Last I want to get climbing roses established against the shed wall. My hope is to construct trellis' similar to those on Nantucket. I painted the shed wall today and will transplant a couple of climbing roses I've been nursing along.
    Finally, can you belive this weather!!!!!! Yikes!!!! Everything is gonna bloom at the same time!!!
    BTW This year's tomato plants are coming along. I chose 2 varieties of green heirlooms along with 4 others. Can't believe I missed "Ruth's Perfect"--- next year for sure!!!

• OKMoreh
    16 years ago

I need to give some thought to the landscaping, because although it's appropriate to the style of the house, I don't like it - lots of twee, manicured shrubs that the previous owner sheared constantly and that aren't even growing that well. For this year it will only be thought, because I'm not ready to rush into a difficult and expensive project yet.

Since there are established perennial plantings about which I don't know very much, I'm concentrating on identifying the perennials and growing annuals to transplant into the gaps, plus starting a couple of square-foot boxes that will be primarily for vegetables. I have a sprawling house on a small lot, and I need to preserve most of the open space that remains in the yard, so extensive new plantings are not in question at all.

• gottagarden
    15 years ago

lilylouise - I set up several nesting boxes and have many bluebirds here.

• penny1947
    15 years ago

Is it spring yet! I have stuff that is past due to be planted out. I keep having to pot up and pinch stuff back. Some things are not looking too good right now. They are very unhappy little plants in their overcrowded pots!

Penny

• misskimmie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Gotta - Tell me more about your Blue Bird nesting box. I hung one and so far I haven't seen any. Any tips ?

• ideasshare
    15 years ago

{{gwi:1322319}}

Here is a link that might be useful: other some ideas

• misskimmie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lovely. What a difference a flower bed of two makes. I have lots of flower beds but I haven't achieved that high impact of color that you have. ( I have mostly perennials)

Kim

• ideasshare
    15 years ago

these only ideas.

• diane_nny
    15 years ago

Oh, I get it...Photoshopped!