Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robbiezone5

weather wonderings...

robbiezone5
19 years ago

this winter has seemed pretty mild. is it because i'm compairing it to last winter? or is this a more "typical" winter. i haven't been upstate in several weeks. what's it like up there? is there good snow cover? the new york 1 web site claims that it's going to hit 52 on monday (here, in the city). that seems pretty warm --- but maybe it's because i've never paid much attention to the weather before.

anyhow... does anyone have any predictions on how this winter is going to affect our gardens come spring-time? i can't wait to see what comes back..

thanks!

--robbie--

Comments (10)

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    19 years ago

Here, I think it's been a lot more typical. Which means it's been noticably colder than last winter. Our winter low is currently -14F, which is likely to stand. I lost count of the number of nights we went below -10 - about a weeks worth, I think. Last winter, our low was one night at -10. Of course, this is the first winter the Hudson has frozen up in years. We are close enough that it makes a big difference.

There was one night of -12 before the snow came through. That might cause some trouble. However, I'm not expecting a lot of losses because I learned years ago that zone pushing just isn't a good idea here. It's not a question if you are going to be burned, but when.

If you don't have a min/max thermometer set up, it's a good idea to get one. Then you can compare your local microclimate to known weather stations. Because of the hills (and the River) there are significant differences in microclimate. I know more than one experienced gardener in the hills who considers themselves zone 4 from the temperatures they have recorded in their own gardens over the years.

Weather Underground has data from private weather stations. You may be able to find one close to you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Weather Underground

• yjtj
    19 years ago

my gas bills said december was the same avg temp last year and this year and jan was only a two degree diff between the two years. so this winter is about the same as last, at least around here. feb and march are always the worst for me cause spring is getting closer and i want to get out. i just hope this spring is better than last. i missed seeing all the trees flower last year as the cold spring didnt let that happen.

• penny1947
    19 years ago

we have had more snow for this same time last year according to our local weather.

Penny

• cats39
    19 years ago

Hi Robbie! and All!

I had an extra bird feeder and put in out in my vegetable Garden area. I took my roof rake and pulled back about 6' feet of snow away from the feeder for the ground birds. The snow depth was over 15" deep.

We've had below zero weather each night since about the 13th or 14th of Jan and yesterday was the first daytime we've had above freezing in some time in about as long.

I was surprised to see how spoungy the ground was after clearing away from the feeder as snow will insulate somewhat. If we get by the next couple of weeks without to much harsh cold I think it will be great for spring. Last year we had tons of snow, 78" plus inches in January alone.

Jim
    Just outside of Syracuse.

• amaqan
    19 years ago

REALLY upstate here...minutes fron Canada. This past week has been GREAT! Highs around 50. I washed our cars 3 days in a row (1st day because it REALLY needed it, 2nd day because I had gone thru puddles and it didn't look as pretty and on the 3rd just because I didn't want to go inside! )Today it has started to snow...oh well, it was great while it lasted!
    Amaqan

• fairydancer
    19 years ago

I think this has been a very easy winter. It started late, and - dare I say it - seems to be ending early. A couple of weeks in January were really harsh, but other than that I don't think it's been as bad as last winter.

~Deb

• penny1947
    19 years ago

Deb is right overall it hasn't been bad with the warm-ups inbetween the really cold snaps.

penny
    who is really hoping for an early enduring spring without a late freeze, ice storm or snowstorm.

• lblack61
    19 years ago

I live north of Syracuse in Oswego County and we haven't had as much snow as last year. Of course, that's kind of an understatement considering how much we got last year (five feet in one day, plus more of the usual two to three feet in a weather incident.)
    The ground here doesn't even seem to have frozen, despite the few stints of well below zero temps.

• oldroser
    19 years ago

-19 on the 29th of January - and today it's raining. This kind of thing is tough on plants. We did have a lot of snow on the ground the 29th which should help.
    Skunk cabbage is up, snow drops are in bud but I still don't believe it's spring. Last year it was -15 in March so look ou!

• tomtuxman
    19 years ago

This year's deep freezes struck me because we had sustained below-freezings overnight and single-digit mornings over a several day period.

I chatted with the owner of my oil service and he claimed that he had several customers go through a typical 275-gallon tank in a two-week period, which he found quite unusual (and he's about 70 years old and in the oil biz his whole life).

Pray for Spring!