Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madabouteu

Advice needed for Utica area

madabouteu
17 years ago

A friend has bought a home near Herkimer and needs some gardening info. I found the Cornell Extension website and sent her a link but still need some info. What is the frostfree season there? Any annuals or perennials that are particularly good for there? I am assuming most flower seeds will need to be started indoors in order to have a long enough growing season - am I right? Thanks in advance.

Comments (2)

• penny1947
    17 years ago

Lots of stuff grows well and it would depend on her soil, sun or shade etc. Most perennials grown from seed wouldn't bloom the first year. I think I am a little warmer than Utica especially this year but I start a lot of my perennials via wintersowing. Some of my tender annuals I start inside only because I need them close to blooming by the time I can plant them.

Just a few Perennials are:
    Lobelia cardinalis
    Lobelia siphilitica
    Monarda
    Aquilegia canadensis
    Hosta
    Bleeding Heart
    Crocosmia
    Daylily
    Huechura
    Salvia azurea
    Lupines
    Gladiolas
    Red Yucca
    Lily of the valley
    Maltese Cross
    Tall garden Phlox
    Beardstongue
    Iris

Some annuals
    Zinnias
    Impatiens
    Salvia
    Marigolds
    Snap Dragons
    creeping phox
    morning glories
    nasturtiums

and just about anything else that is annual down south. I am sure that others will have plenty more to add

Penny

• booberry85
    17 years ago

Frost free is generally from Memorial Day weekend to mid-September. What is your friend interested in growing? Rudbeckia, poppies, Sweet William and lilies also do well for flowers.

I grew up in Utica and live in the Finger Lakes now. The list Penny gave is a good one.

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource