Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
penny1947_gw

FYI for our hummingbird gardeners

penny1947
19 years ago

the 2005 hummingbird Migration Map has been posted on hummingbirds.net 2005 Hummer migration Map

They are just now getting ready to start their long journey from Central America so it could be a while before we see any dots on the map.

HAPPY HUMMER WATCHING!

penny

Comments (18)

• kareen
    19 years ago

Thanks Penny,
    I forwarded it on to all my hummer loving friends.

Here is a link that might be useful: Our pond and gardens

• penny1947
    Original Author
    19 years ago

i will be keeping a close eye on the map now that it is up and running.

Penny

• nyvoices99
    19 years ago

Hi Penny,
    Thanks, Will keep watch so I am ready this year, I hate it when they have to bang on the door for food, cuz I don't have it out yet!!!:)Anita

• misstish64
    19 years ago

The first sightings are there!

• penny1947
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Three dots in south Louisiana!!!!

Penny

• Gentian_NY
    19 years ago

I can hardly wait!!!!!

• penny1947
    Original Author
    19 years ago

There is another addition to the map in west central Florida around the St. Petersburg/Tampa area.

Penny

• nyvoices99
    19 years ago

Looks like they are moving right along:) Anyone plan on adding their own sighting's this year? I think I am :)Anita

• penny1947
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Yes they are Anita. I had my siting recorded as the first one for my area last year. He arrived at my feeder on April 27th. Hopefully I will this year too.

Penny

• misstish64
    19 years ago

I'll be reporting our first sighting here in Albany. Never knew the hummingbird migration site existed until Penny posted it- thanks! It really gives me something to look forward to. And it's a good way to know when to place the feeders out...

Hey Anita, I noticed your ZIP code- I grew up in Corning, mostly on 2nd Street.

• susanzone5 (NY)
    19 years ago

Hi Penny! Now I know why you plant so many agastaches and salvias.

I saw many different kinds of hummingbirds in southern Arizona 2 weeks ago. They love the mountain canyons.

• penny1947
    Original Author
    19 years ago

misstish64
    I follow the northward migration daily and as soon as they get close to the northwestern Pa border my feeder goes up. Another good site to check is the Journey North website which shows the daily data as people report in.

Susan,
    Yes my secret is out. Whatever will grow up here I will plant for my hummers. I have to say that I have also fallen in love with the agastaches and the salvias myself. They do remind me of some of the plants that grew out and around Phoenix when I was in college out there. If I am not mistaken, there are over 15 different species of hummers that have been recorded in Az. Sherry Williamson, co-director of the Southeastern Arizona Bird Observatory is a member of the Hummingbird Garden Forum and a great source of information. I got interested in hummers when we lived in Louisiana before moving here to NY. Like AZ, they were everywhere. It took me forever to attract any here but dilligence finally paid off. Last year was my best year ever.

Penny

• susanzone5 (NY)
    19 years ago

In the Arizona-Sonoran Desert Museum west of Tucson, they have a hummingbird aviary with many kinds of hummers. Since they are used to being around people, you can peer into their nests and get really close to them. It was such a treat.

• penny1947
    Original Author
    19 years ago

That must have been really interesting.

There is a big hummer festival in Bisbee Az each year but I can't remember if it is in the spring or fall.

Penny

• nyvoices99
    19 years ago

Oh this is so fun, I have to tell, I turned my neighbor on to the map, She say's to me this morning, Have you looked at the MAP, I said yes, She yells, Look at 2004 they will be here the end of April, She was so excited, I am too, spring really is near:) Then I had to tell her calm down, we will not see them till May 3rd:)

misstish64
    Yes, I am in good old Corning, NY, My son lives on First St...

Penny,
    Do we have to do anything to post our sighting's? another word's, Can ANYONE post them?

:)Anita

• penny1947
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Anita,
    Anyone can post their first siting. HOwever you do have to be the first one in your area in order for your dot to make the map.

If our temps will inch on up there will will start seeing them by the 3rd. and 4th. week of April. I posted my first one last year on the 28th. of April but I think he was here before that date as he had already scoped out all the feeders.

Penny

• juspeachy
    19 years ago

I have been watching the map for a while now, it had just a couple of dots on it when I first checked.
    Now there are dozens. It is so great to track their progress. A little like waiting for Christmas.
    C'mon little guys, and bring spring and the warm weather with you,

Jo

• penny1947
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Jo
    If they stay true to form I should see my first one towards then end of April.

Penny

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?