Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pamghatten

Castor Bean seed starting

pamghatten
19 years ago

Hi All,

Any idea WHEN I could start these indoors? And I've also read I need to "stratify" (sp?) these seeds ... can anyone explain that?

Thanx,

Pam

S Wales NY (where daylily seeds are sprouting in the basement)

Comments (9)

• penny1947
    19 years ago

to stratify seed you have to break down the seed coat to prepare seed for germination. This can be done by nicking the seed coat with a knife or file or by winter sowing.

Penny

• pamghatten
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you Penny ... I kind of figured you would answer ... any idea of their germination time?

Pam

• jeanie
    19 years ago

When I did them several years ago, I started them 10 days before transplanting. They grow very rapidly and become spindly under lights they are best started in situ as they grow very quickly.

• penny1947
    19 years ago

Pam,
    Haven't done them myself b/c I have small children and animals around so I would go with Jeanies suggestion.

penny

• pamghatten
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanx, sounds good to me ... yes I know they are poisonous .. quite a few things in my garden are, it doesn't stop me from growing them. But then again, I don't have small children either. And my dogs don't eat plants..

Pam

• penny1947
    19 years ago

My dog is worse than kids. He even eats lettuce so I figure if he will eat lettuce he is liable to eat anything he can reach.

Penny

• Vera_EWASH
    19 years ago

I wintersowed some and about a week ago started some indoors just in case, but I think I may be crazy to have started too soon! I was not aware they grew so fast. I soaked in warm water overnight and then potted them up in yogurt containers...what in the world was I thinking! Within a week the stem and un-opened bean minus the outer shell popped up and they are growing before my very eyes...within a few days the leaves should break thru. I'll no doubt have to transfer to bigger and deeper containers.
    They are soooo fun to watch :)
    The wintersown ones have broken thru the shell, but the stems have not come above the soil as yet... they have remained that way now for going on a month just waiting for the nice weather to come.

Vera

• TallFlowerinMI
    18 years ago

You didn't know they grew so fast Vera EWASH? They go from seed to 8 feet in 3 months! They grow fast and that's why I love them!! Anyone know what may be eating them? I also don't know what to put on them to prevent it.

• husky004_
    12 years ago

Don't think you need to scarify them, I've got seeds at least 3 years old and they germinate very quickly...think you can wait at least until April to start them. As far as them being highly toxic, I think most animals know what they can eat without deep sixing...there are so many poisonous plants in our gardens that most pets do not eat...all the dogs I have had over 30 years might have ripped up and tasted a few but no one ever ate enough to be poisoned...I remember one that would love to pick up toads and as soon as she tasted em spit them out try again and spit them out until she knew that was not the snack of choice.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022