Return to the Upstate New York Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Don't buy those daylilies from a catalog!!

Posted by gottagarden z5 western NY (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 22, 08 at 12:59

I recommend going to Cottage Gardens Daylily Farm in Medina. I've been going there for a few years now. They have huge FIELDS of daylilies, all nicely labeled, where you can actually SEE what you are getting. When buying, the owner gives you a couple of big, healthy fans on the spot - no waiting, no skimpy, sickly, dried up rhizomes. The best part is running between all the daylilies comparing them to find your absolute favorites. Get your favorite red amongst the 100 or so reds on offer. I did, and I always get comments on "what a beautiful red daylily".

I've been disappointed in the past when ordering from catalogs and when the plant finally blooms it is not the color they showed on their glossy pages. This is especially true as most catalogs lie about their "purples". Come see in person what they really look like.

Their website says:
"Cottage Gardens of Medina, new York, which is located in western New York, midway between Buffalo and Rochester. We are an official American Hemerocallis Society Display Garden and a commercial garden. . . .
We enjoy visitors during the bloom season (usually mid July through August. We are open Wednesdays through Saturdays 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and Sundays 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Other times can be arranged by phoning or emailing us."

Here is a link to a (bad) photo showing some of their fields visible from the road.
"photo of daylily farm"

PS - I am NOT affiliated with them in any way, but it is a great day out to visit a farm with so many beautiful daylilies all in one place.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cottage Gardens website

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Don't buy those daylilies from a catalog!!

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 25, 08 at 12:59

Looks wonderful Brenda! If you decide to take a drive out there this summer, you know, I'll come meet you. We can drool over all the plants together, lol. : )
Remy

o

That is so true! I live a couple minutes from them and just discovered them last year. They have beautiful daylilies & Japanese Irises (huge full blooms) and even a large assortment of hostas - I got a cute little mini one! Just take a look at my page and there is a link to my garden pics

o

I've been going to Cottage Gardens for several years. I e-mail Brent and tell him what I want and when I'll be there.

I've never had a problem with any of his plants. Would DEFINITELY recommend him to fellow gardeners.

o

Thanks for the tip! I went to a daylily farm while on a (gardening) trip to Vermont last year. There really is nothing like seeing them "on the hoof" so to speak...Not only regarding color, but also how long the scapes are and what the foliage is like. It is quite overwhelming to choose among all that is offered, though!

I will keep "Cottage Gardens" in mind when I need a roadtrip! Lois

o

I took this advice yesterday, and I want to second it! Cottage Gardens was beautiful, Brent and his workers were very helpful and patient. I did not realize that while you are waiting for them to dig out the day lilies you've chosen, you can stroll the display gardens, which are separate from the day lily fields. The bunches of lilies are large and healthy, certainly worth the very reasonable prices. If you're looking for a nice little day trip in the next couple of weeks, go on over there and take a look. Better make sure you've got some extra cash with you - there are over 2000 varieties of day lilies to choose from, and they are all so incredibly beautiful, it is very difficult to limit yourself. I wound up giving myself a few early birthday presents because I just couldn't choose!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Upstate New York Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here