Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hammerl

Potted bulbs

hammerl
19 years ago

Way back in the fall, I potted up some crocus in a nice pot, put it in the (attached but hardly warm) garage up near the garage door, and left it, figuring that would be it until I wanted it outdoors. I've never potted bulbs for outdoors before. Well, on my way out today I noticed that the bulbs are just starting to poke up out of the dirt. Do I move them outside? Do they need water now? What do I do? Help! I feel silly, because I've done a lot with all kinds of plants, and yet I'm not quite certain what to do here. Thanks.

Comments (8)

• jeanie
    19 years ago

Lucky you, mine froze. Bring them inside place in a cool sunny spot, water when they have come to room temp.
    They can be moved into any room once they start to bllom. After blooming put in cool sunny spot and keep on the dry side. The bulbs can put in a bare spot in the ground in the spring. I like to use forced bulbs to fill bare spots in the spring for future years.

• susanzone5 (NY)
    19 years ago

One thing I've noticed about forced bulbs...if you bring them indoors and put them in the sun, they sometimes bloom at soil level. So I always keep them in a darker place indoors till the stems are the right height, then put them in the sun.

Funny, I just brought 3 pots of frozen crocus bulbs indoors today. I can't wait!

• misstish64
    19 years ago

My first forced daffodil of this season bloomed today, YAY! I did the same as you, hammerl, put them in pots in the unheated but attached garage. When I saw growth enough to relocate them indoors (1-2"), I put them in sunlight. So exciting! And soon I will be able to open my car door without banging into pots...

The tulip pots seem to take longer than the narcissus and crocus pots. Just like outside, I guess! The tulips I usually can hold off until they can be outside in April or so. Also, the bulbs in larger size pots always seem to do better for me than the ones in smaller pots.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1322603}}

• missmshell
    19 years ago

My neighbor recently gave me tulip bulbs she didn't use due to health issues. Can I put them in pots still or is it too late?

• fleurgirl1
    19 years ago

This may be a silly question but did you plant the potted bulbs in the fall when you did your in ground bulbs? This seems like a nice way to force them. :)

• hammerl
    Original Author
    19 years ago

missmshell,

They should chill (as far as I know, in a pot in soil) so they can have a dormant period and prepare to pop up and bloom with the warmth indoors.

fleurgirl1,

I potted mine in the fall. They were left from a large planting of crocus I did out front. I stored them pot and all in the unheated attached garage, at the front, next to the door on a shelf. They were knocked over exactly one week later by my husband, and appear to have survived that just fine. I expected them to come up a little later -- I was thinking Easter. Silly me. Should have planted later-blooming bulbs for that or else maybe tucked them in the fridge.

So far, so good with my pot. (Fingers crossed.)

• Carol_from_ny
    19 years ago

Last year I forced some bulbs. I had kept them out on the unheated porch till I was ready to pot them up. Then I just put them into a pot burying just the bottom half of the bulb. Within a few weeks they had shoots. Once the shoots appeared I kept it properly watered. I had wonderful flowers. When they finished blooming I planted the bulbs like you normally would out in the yard. I've no idea if they will come up or not this year.

• hammerl
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks everyone for the help. My crocuses are blooming away in the family room now. Which is nice, because the ones outdoors are still covered with snow. I don't know how long they'll last (I'm trying to prolong the bloom by tucking them in at night into a hall closet that's on the cool side because it hangs into garage space...) but they look great for now. A nice punch of purple and white. (And they're much more springlike than the miniature rose and poinsettia plant that grace the room...) I let them come up in that same hall closet, so they are a great height. Next year I think I might try a few more pots, and maybe I'll give a few away to friends.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor