Return to the Upstate New York Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plagued with Oriental Bittersweet?

Posted by mountain_curmudgeon 4a (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 2, 06 at 14:35

The Victory Garden program had an episode where very nice trellises were made with lengths of this invasive vine.

Anyone know of a source of this pernicious plant growing in the wild? (Please email me.) I'm not "blessed" with a supply of my own but could help someone in clearing it from their woodlot if they're near the northern Adirondacks.

I envision using it for decorative garden fencing, arbors, benches & trellises.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plagued with Oriental Bittersweet?

I had some and it didn't stop at the trellis. In fact it didn't stop anywhere. I ended up with it coming up around the base of the trees, in the grass, up and around the gass meter and anyplace else the berries fell and germinated. I love it but it is too inveasive for my little plot of green space. It also started climbing in and around and through the shrubs.

Penny

o

Oh, I didn't mean I want to grow it! I've seen it used (cut and dead as a doornail) to ~make~ trellises. Hopefully where less invasive vines can grow up it.

o

OH OK. You had me panicing there for a minute. I thought you were going to intentionally grow on a trellis.

Penny

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Upstate New York Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here