Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hammerl

somewhat ot: mice and bird feeders

hammerl
17 years ago

I've got a bird feeder in what turns into my daylily bed in the spring. I've had all kinds of birds flock to it this winter, but now I've got a problem I've never encountered. I have a mouse that manages to climb the 1" metal pole (we're talking several feet up, probably 3-4) and hop onto the seed tray to snack. He then leaps gracefully to the ground and runs under my ugly juniper when he finishes.

Now, I knew the squirrels were having a ball out there all winter until the dog chased them, but this is the first time I've seen mice climb up there. Perhaps I am spoiled in having had the neighbor's cat down the street do some serious mousing over the past eight years we've lived in our home, and now that I believe she has passed on the mice are getting bold. I've got a scottie that's more than willing to take on the challenge, but I'm not so comfy with the thought of her hanging with Mickey, esp. since she has to forego the Leptospirosis vaccine due to her allergies.

So any thoughts to how I can keep mickey off the feeder, other than removing the seed tray (which the cardinals and mourning doves won't like)? Nothing toxic, mind, I have a dog. I liberally sprinkled today's seed with cayenne pepper, but I'd like to do more. I have a round squirrel baffle, but it never stopped the squirrels (and fell to the ground under their weight)and is now frozen to the ground.

PS - we're talking mouse, not vole. Boy, do I ever miss old Sox the cat.

Thanks.

Comments (4)

• penny1947
    17 years ago

How about putting a live catch trap at the base of the feeder that is baited with peanut butter or sunflower seeds. This is the reason I quit feeding my birds for a couple of years although I never saw one climb the pole. I have heard that people have success keeping the squirrels away by putting 4 inch diameter PVC pipe over the metal pipe. It is too big around for the critter to grip firmly this may also work for mice.

Penny

• hammerl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, I've allowed my feeders to go a bit empty, and I bought a havahart trap. It's baited with sunflower seed and peanuts, but I feel guilty about letting the critters freeze in the cage so I am leaving it ready to go only when I am home or will be home within a little while -- not overnight. I am such a wuss. And I forgot to set it this morning.

My feeder pole is frozen to the ground, and so is the baffle that fell under the weight of the squirrels. Essentially, I can't add anything to the pole unless it can go around the pole, not slide up it from the bottom, etc.

Turns out there is not only Mickey (who was living in my juniper but may have migrated to somewhere by the house with the latest snow)but also Minnie, who actually crosses from my neighbor in the back's yard, under my fence, and all the way down the length of the yard. There are fresh prints in the snow, and it's not the first time I've seen a set come from there.

I'm still not sure what to do with a mouse if I do catch it and it's alive when I find it. Maybe a nice trip to the woods, let him learn survival skills?

• penny1947
    17 years ago

What about those white plastic tree wraps. You just spiral it around the feeder pole and I bet it would be loose enough that the squirrels might not be able to climb it. It may be worth checking into.

Yep, mice and voles travel in pairs so the can procreate at whim. My trap always gets buried by snow so when it melts my DH has the job of checking it out and disposing of whatever is in it. Last year he did release one down by Sawyer creek across the hiway but we think he found his way back so now I am not as merciful. Also if you have dogs they love dog food. I found one in my mud room in the dog food storage bucket a couple of years ago because the lid wasn't on tight. I also got one inside the house when we were remodeling the kitchen and it was stealing the dog's food out of his dish and storing it in the dishwasher. Imagine opening up your dishwasher and finding half a dozen pieces of dog food in the bottom every morning? Yes I have no mercy. They are dirty and carry diseases.

Penny

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    17 years ago

This isn't a problem I've had (I have a squirrel proof feeder, and any mouse/vole that ventured that far from cover would have to be suicidal) but have you tried greasing the pole? It would have to be something that didn't get sticky at cold temperatures. The only lubricant I'm really familiar with is motor oil. That might be worth trying. Silicone spray might also work. A good hardware store would have ideas