Return to the Upstate New York Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help Identifying this hedge

Posted by paulchurchfield 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 2, 10 at 14:59

I need help identifying the hedge shown in this picture
http://www.churchfieldsolutions.com/hedge.jpg
Does anyone know the name of this hedge?
It has gotten too tall for the bay window that it is in front of and I want to know if it's safe to cut it's height about a foot. I trim it in in the summer, when it has green leaves on it but every year it gets a little taller.
I really need to know if it is safe to cut the wood without killing it.
Thanks
-Paul

Here is a link that might be useful: Picture of Hedge that I need help identifying?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help Identifying this hedge

This looks like a burning bush, turns red in fall, correct?

I have one burning bush at the street light and two against a fence next to the house. I prune mine severely every few years from 5-6 ft to keep it 3 ft high. You can cut each branch down to the last soft branches, but I noticed that new branches will also sprout from hard thick wood. Get confident by pruning this year only down so far that pieces of soft branches still exist, then do more next year.

You should prune before green leaves start. It will look first very bare, but will fill in rapidly 2 or so weeks later as usual.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Upstate New York Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here