Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hammerl

early signs of spring

hammerl
18 years ago

Well, it was a gorgeous day outside and the lawn is almost firm enough to step on, so...

My snowdrops are budded.

My coral honeysuckle has an amazing amount of green leaves.

My primrose are blooming on the North side of the house -- bright pink and purple.

My rebound pansies are rebounding and blooming.

My hollyhocks are leafing.

My crocuses are up but not blooming yet.

My daffs are beginning to poke up as well.

My Jupiter's Beard has new growth.

Quite frankly, the ornamental kale I planted (a freebie with mum purchase) still looks rather nice.

Unfortunately, reality probably will set in and do some nasty damage to some of the plants that are fooled into thinking it's Spring.

There's a house I was looking at (open house) in North Tonawanda in early December that had a lilac bush that was leafing then. It's probably blooming by now. ;-)

Comments (18)

• magicman2u
    18 years ago

I know what is up with this year ...first a absolute gorgous summer and then an extremely mild winter. But we all know its not over yet...or is it! I was out in the yard today doing some pre spring clean up. I was careful not to disturb to much for fear of removing the natural insulation of the leafs and mulch and ect. While out there I notice several plant begining to come back to life. I hope this isn't bad. Normally everything is covered with snow! What is going on with this world.

• penny1947
    18 years ago

Well Dunkirk Dave has predicted 6 more weeks of winter and so did Phil although Phil said it would be a mild 6 weeks. Every morning that I wake up and don't see snow or feel freezing temps I just say thank you God. I figure if I say it enough He will know I am sincere and keep it nice and mild until spring really does arrive. I have buds on my honeysuckle, buds on the flowering currant cuttings I stuck in the ground in Sept., Daylily is emerging, alliums are coming up, new native columbine is up, agastaches are forming new rosettes, daffodils are coming up and the tulips are beginning to break the surface of the soil.

Penny

• susanzone5 (NY)
    18 years ago

And I had ants crawling up my windows!

• waplummer
    18 years ago

My spring beauty is sending up a lot of leaves.

• Chazy
    18 years ago

Kind of scarey,isn't it? Come spring we will have lots of insect pests thay weren't killed off by a normal winter. I sure am tired of vacuuming Asian lady bugs off the inside of my windows.

My coral honeysuckle is producing leaves(I hope the plum trees aren't putting out buds).I saw sap running down the trunk of my sugar maple,and in Vermont they are making syrup.

• remy_gw
    18 years ago

Wow, primroses and pansies blooming!
    I didn't look real good, but I didn't see any daffodil foliage.
    Without snow though I can see the hellebore flowers starting to emerge, and the pretty cyclamen foliage that is usually buried under the snow.
    Did I hear right that winter weather is on its way?

• penny1947
    18 years ago

That is what I heard last night but so far today only lots of rain.

Penny

• gottagarden
    18 years ago

I have noticed LOTS of rabbit droppings and voles. They are eating my garden cause it's not covered with snow, and getting very fat so they can make lots of babies. I think it's going to be a terrible year for rodents, they have lots to eat and it's so mild. There's always a trade-off, huh? Where are those foxes and hawks?

• penny1947
    18 years ago

I have a Tom Cat live catch trap outside where my patio is going to eventually be. We caught 6 voles in it in Sept. We left it out all winter and about 2 weeks ago I found another one it it. Voles will stay active all winter long even with snow cover. I have seen where they have tunneled through the snow to reach a food source. They create a round little hole about the size of a silver dollar.

Penny

• hammerl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I saw a bunch of vole tunnels before the snow hit. Apparently my cooper's hawk that hangs around (who made a brief appearance on Friday) isn't into the critters. At least the dog started to go hunting for them again. Maybe I'll get a trap.

• booberry85
    18 years ago

I saw two seagulls today. Don't they migrate for winter? Last week I also drove by the Montezuma Preserve and saw lots of flocks of geese. Maybe spring will come before May!

• penny1947
    18 years ago

I have been seeing a lot of geese for a while now. Haven't seen many gulls but I have seen a few. I have been hoping for the same thing.

Penny

• hammerl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The geese at UB migrated north back to campus in January. They have now been hanging around Lake Lasalle on campus. I haven't seen many of the birds that went south yet but I know someone who saw a robin a few weeks ago and my dark-eyed juncos are becoming rather scarce at the feeder.

And that Cooper's Hawk? The lazy thing went for a nice fat mourning dove instead of the voles yesterday.

ps- Turns out Scotties can hear moles under the snow. Who knew.

• penny1947
    18 years ago

Well my Helebores has lots of new shoots opening up. My lab can also hear the voles and goes crazy trying to get to them.

Penny

• penny1947
    18 years ago

I am seeing some of the trees in the area starting to leaf out now.

Lat week I bought 2 red buckeyes on Ebay. They arrived the other day on the coldest day of the week so I potted them up in the house and nowthey are budding out. I better get them out on the porch or else I am going to have 2 red buckeyes growing and flowering in my kitchen!!!!!
    Penny

• cats39
    18 years ago

Hi All!

Just got done watching the local news and "US" CNY'er's are going to be in the 50's this coming Friday and Saturday it should be 55 or higher albeit with a few drops of rain.

• cats39
    18 years ago

Hi Again!

Just got done watching the Weather Channel and they now say 62F for Saturday with rain. I'll take it. I also have tons of Grackles at the larger feeder this morning.

They can be a pain but with the bright early morning sun the iridescenct spectrum around their heads sure does look good!

• penny1947
    18 years ago

We are supposed to be in the mid 50's by Wed. or Thurs. I am excited even though rain is forcast here too.

Penny

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals