Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mulchy_gw

IBLACK61-How are your coleus doing?

mulchy
18 years ago

HI,-- I read in another post that you have some coleus started. I started some last month, they are about 1-2 inches high. They are lime green, and some are getting other colors spots. Never started them before , wondered if you have any tips on how to keep them growin good!!!!

I would hate to lose them now.

Comments (5)

• magicman2u
    18 years ago

I started mine from seed last year and both the ones in the ground and the ones in pots did very well! They both had lots of sun and water! I have found them almost the easiest to grow. Good Luck....Wayne

• lblack61
    18 years ago

They're doing great! (Thank you for asking) I started them in two different batches about a month apart, starting sometime in January. I have "Copper Queen", "Palisandra", "Wizard Mix", and a kind that has leaves kind of like oak leaves.
    Here's some pictures:
    {{gwi:1322707}}
    {{gwi:1322710}}

• mulchy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi, Thank you both for the reply. They do seem easy to grow. Thanks for the pictures, yours are bigger then mine. I started mine Jan. 19. I just started more a few days ago, a mixed variety. Got some peppers and acouple pern. going. I think I'm really getting anxious for spring!!!
    Mulchy

• lblack61
    18 years ago

I broke down this year and bought a little flourescent light stand. I think that helped the seedlings grow a little faster-- and get their colors while still tiny.

Coleus makes me feel better about sowing seeds indoors. I tried them last year for the first time and they were the only things other than tomatoes that worked for me indoors.

Someone on the "Growing from Seed" forum gave me some really good tips on Coleus:
    1. they stall out at a certain point and seem to not grow...just keep watering them and they will suddenly start growing like crazy
    2. They are hungry little buggers...they LOVE water. I give them a good soaking once a week (sometimes twice) and alternate giving them a watering with weak fertilizer solution every other watering.
    3. They like shade, but they really like heat.
    a. I have had mine in a room with a southern exposure but away from the direct sunlight. They seem to like that a lot.
    b. Last year, it didn't seem like my seedlings were doing much-- I probably started them in March. I put them outside when it got warm and they EXPLODED! If I hadn't been so anxious to protect them from white flies inside, I still would have them (I killed them with indoor plant pesticide when I brought them in in the fall.)

• mulchy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

IBLACK
    Thanks for the information, mine are startingto get some color, If I can get them through the next month I will be able to put them in my little greenhouse. Last year I started to many seeds to early and lost alot. Just have to be patient and wait.
    Mulchy