Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
penny1947_gw

Hummingbird migration map is up

penny1947
11 years ago

Lanny Chambers has posted the new spring migration map. For those interested in following the migration and knowing when to put their feeders up the link is below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hummingbird Migration Map - Spring 2013

Comments (8)

• booberry85
    11 years ago

Hurray! Just having the map up is a sign of spring! Thanks for posting it. I always enjoy following the migrations (virtually).

• penny1947
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Booberry
    It is always a sign of spring for me too. I always look forward to Lanny posting the new map the 3rd. week of
    February.

Penny

• ponyexpress_1
    11 years ago

I can't wait until they arrive! I wintersowed and ordered a bunch of goodies for them!

• party_music50
    10 years ago

I just checked the map again and was surprised to see so many hits well up into NY. I still don't expect to see them for at least another week, but will probably get out the feeders this weekend just to be ready. Spring is almost here! lol!

• penny1947
    Original Author
    10 years ago

There is one report about 15 miles from me but I don't think I will see one at my feeders for at least a week or two...or more

• czimm
    10 years ago

What hummingbird feeders and nectar do you recommend for a newbie?

• lindalou
    10 years ago

i use perky pet feeders and make my own nectar by boiling 4 parts water and adding 1 part sugar (4 cups water to 1 cup sugar), stirring til dissolved. fill feeders when cool. :)

• penny1947
    Original Author
    10 years ago

czimm
    There are small 3-4 ounce feeders sold at Big Lots and some of the dollar stores that are easy to fill and clean and a good size to start out with. I think the ones at Big Lots are sold in 2 paks and each feeder has a single flower port. and only holds about 3 or 4 ounces of nectar. The birds recognize these little feeders and will use them even though they don't have a perch. There are many different types of feeders available but you want one that is very easy to clean because they do need to be cleaned everyt 2-3 days and the nectar replaced. A large feeder with a small bottle neck is difficult to clean and fill. Also the base has to be cleaned easily as mold can form on the inside if it doesn't completely come apart .

The recipe for making your own nectar is a simple one. You can use either 3 or 4 parts water to 1 part granulated cane sugar. I use the 3 parts water to 1 part sugar in the spring when they first arrive and in the fall when they are bulking up to head back south. During the summer when my hummingbird plants are blooming well I go to the 4 parts water to 1 part sugar recipe. One of my forum members who is also a federally licensed bander uses the 3 to 1 mix year round. Eiither mix is perfectly safe.. Just don't use any food coloring in the mix as it isn't necessary and could be potentially harmful over time. If you have any other questions feel free to contact me

Penny