Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marliem

landscaping for a wedding

marliem
18 years ago

I am having my wedding in August of this year. We moved into this house last summer and did not get much landscaping done. Does anyone have any advice on fast growing attractive plants/flowers. I am starting some seeds this Feb. (if they make it). I plan on spending the entire spring and beginning of summer getting it ready for August. Did I mention our entire front yard (were the tent is going) is a giant mud pitt from an unexpected septic tank replacement. So we also need to get grass growing by the wedding. Please help!!!

marliem

Comments (9)

• shic_2006
    18 years ago

Try live oaks and willow oaks -- and crepe myrtles.

• mountain_curmudgeon
    18 years ago

Yep, get the lawn established as a base. (Might try posting about that on the lawn forum, you need fast growing turf that will withstand heavy traffic by August.)

Not knowing what you have planted there already in the form of shrubs, etc. I'd suggest you think of a moveable landscape of flowering annuals in large, attractive pots that can be placed at varying heights as needed. A dozen or so plants on risers or plant stands at different heights can create the illusion of a wall of color behind the bridal party.

• gottagarden
    18 years ago

Use annuals because they grow fast and easy and cheap, and will be gorgeous in August. Try cleomes, angel's trumpets, cosmos, dahlias, geraniums, etc.

• faltered
    18 years ago

I agree with the others, and definitely second the use of cosmos! They will put on a show like you can't believe and grow easily from seed. Also try zinnias & sunflowers.

Tracy

• gottagarden
    18 years ago

How about installing a quick arch with morning glories and sunflowers. They grow so fast and would make a great place for photos. Really easy, just find an arbor that you like.

Here's mine.
    {{gwi:290074}}

• Aurore
    18 years ago

Use annuals for fast flowers. You might also try your hand at rooting plants from cuttings. Impatiens can be cut and rooted easily. That's probably quicker and easier than growing them from seed. Coleus grows well from cuttings too. Get nice big plants to take cuttings from.
    Also check with your neighbors who have gardens and find out if there are any critters in your area that will eat all your hard work. There are not a lot of deer proof annuals.

• marliem
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you for the info. We are really starting from scratch there was not any shubs, or bushes exsisting. How about Hygrangias will they grow quickly? When do the lime colored flowers bloom? Sunflowers are the flowers of the wedding. And any wildflower I can get my hands on. My mother is making a rustic arbor for me that I hopefully can get something (like morning glories) to cover. Is it possible to keep the morning glories white only? I have a white one on the property can it be transplanted? I will take any suggestions. I can't wait for spring so I can get out there. Although today is finally looking like winter.

• mountain_curmudgeon
    18 years ago

If you plant sunflowers, keep your orientation in mind. When my sunflowers finally blossomed up here, they all turned to the east, showing visitors to my garden the backs of their heads.

Keep a fall-back plan for those plants that don't survive or fail to blossom in time. That likely will involve an assortment of potted flowering annuals.

• shimla
    18 years ago

Hi Marliem -

I would do annuals, annuals and even more annuals LOL! They will be mature and blooming for you in August. With some careful planning, your yard could be absolutely delightful.

Are you familiar with "Winter Sowing"? Skip the indoor sowing for the most part and try winter sowing. You'll have a better success rate. There is a forum here that will teach you how to do it if you are not familiar with the method. It's very easy, you can do it now and it's almost foolproof. The annuals will give you all the instant color you'll need to brighten up your yard.

Budget is always an issue for every homeowner trying to landscaping. What size yard are we looking at? You can buy shrubs in a variety of sizes depending on what you need. No, most don't grow fast so you might have to get the larger (more expensive) pots if you have certain areas that you are focusing on. It takes them a bit of time to get established in the ground so keep that in mind when purchasing. Go bigger if you can since you need that instance look this year. Try to focus on an area such as covering a foundation or an eyesore rather than planting in a middle bed of the yard. At least try to get a few things to anchor the house down and put less expensive fillers in the vacant areas.

On perennials, there are some that bloom the first year from seed but most need a full year of growth to give you anything spectacular. So, I'd stick with growing annuals from seed if I were you. Another thing on perennials is they don't all stay in bloom so if purchasing plants, keep the foliage in mind.

Do you have any pics? Maybe collectively we can come up with some ideas for you!

You've got your hands full but you're planning early so I'm sure everything will be wonderful come August!

Congrats :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's the Winter Sowing Forum