Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fairydancer_gw

Anyone going to the Garden show at HVCC?

fairydancer
19 years ago

Or did anyone go last year(s)? It's the weekend of March 19th. My parents are coming to visit for the weekend as it is my birthday weekend, and I'm sure my mom and aunt would love to go, so we'll probably check it out. Tickets are $10 at the door and $8 in advance with a Price Chopper advantage card.

If anyone has been before, please let me know if it's a good one!

~Deb

Comments (9)

• Anne_Marie_Alb
    19 years ago

Hi Fairydancer,
    I have been twice: 2004, 2002. The display gardens are O.K. (although much too fancy/un-natural for my taste), but I enjoy the lectures. This is really why I went, and why I may or may be going again this year. I am always disappointed in the vendors, as there are hardly any plants. It is more oriented towards crafts and latest materials in deck building, water gardens.... etc. I have to look at the program (lectures) to decide. I had got a 3 day pass last year, and I attended many lectures. Plus I had a winning lottery ticket (first time in my life.. a hose reel ...which I gave away to the Wildwood school, sponsors of the event.. haha!)
    I'll say one thing... not a bad event for a birthday! and it does attract a crowd!

I just checked out their site, and yes they do have some new, interesting lectures. So I'll be going.

Anne-Marie

• fairydancer
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Wow, I didn't realize there would be lectures! Now I want to go more than one day!!! I don't think my 3 year old would sit through a lecture though.....but we'll definitely go for crafts on Saturday.

Thanks for the great link.

~Deb

• misstish64
    19 years ago

Hi Deb-

We've gone for the last few years, Anne-Marie is right.One room has garden displays, the other is full of vendors. The garden displays are geared mostly toward sales of patio blocks it seems, but I love to go because it puts me in the spring mood (watch out for that new mulch smell). As far as the vendors, there are a lot of crafts and outdoor-type vendors (awnings, garden equipment) and very few plant sales; I can remember an african violet vendor I think. Still, I really enjoy it because it means spring is arriving. We'll probably go Friday evening to avoid the crowds.

If you enjoy floral arrangements, the New York State Museum has New York in Bloom this weekend. All the arrangements are placed in amongst the regular exhibits.

BTW- Happy birthday! Hope your winter sowing is going well, and don't forget about those dwarf siberian irises waiting for you come spring!

Here is a link that might be useful: New York in Bloom

• Anne_Marie_Alb
    19 years ago

Fairydancer, checking the schedule again, I realized they have activities for kids. I don't really know how they work, but maybe that would give you an opportunity to attend a couple of lectures.
    At this point, I do believe I'll go Friday & Sunday (Saturday.. peace rally in NYC), and actually I have already picked some promising lectures... I am particularly looking forward to Roger Swain on Sunday (11am & 3pm).
    Well, maybe some of us can meet...

Anne-Marie

• fairydancer
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks for the birthday wishes!!! I'm getting so old that I sometimes don't even look forward to my birthday anymore, but that's not the right attitude to have, right?!? And oh yes, I'm looking forward to those irises....let me know when you are ready to divide!!! My yard could certainly use the color. I've been winter sowing like a fool, but know that most of my efforts won't be rewarded until next year....but thats OK with me.

My folks are probably coming on Saturday so that is most likely the day I'll go. I saw the children's activities, so that will be nice for my 3 year old. Maybe grandpa can take him there while me and mom go a lecture or two!! Definitely a harbinger of spring...I'm starting to get excited. Too bad the deep freeze has set upon us again this week. At least the sun is shining.

~Deb

• misstish64
    19 years ago

Hey Deb, if your kids are into Harry Potter they'll be happy- the display downstairs at the entrance end of the garden area is Hogwarts, the white owl is there, and I think Hagrid's shack? And...HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

The display gardens were mostly water features this year with some patio blocks. Lots of spring bulbs...

Also, if you don't get to Price Chopper ahead of time, they'll still give you $1 off at the HVCC door if you show a Price Chopper Card.

• fairydancer
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks for telling me about the Price Chopper card discount! I didn't get tickets in advance and we've got 5 adults going, so $5 savings is better than nothing!

Thanks again for the birthday wishes. It'll be nice to get a taste of spring at the show....still waiting for this snow to melt and I guess they are calling for more this coming week. Have mercy!!

~Deb

• auntiedonna2
    19 years ago

My friend went on Friday and seemed to enjoy it a great deal. She said it got her in the mode of spring. She brought her husband.
    Although they have many years of gardening experience, they have never been to a garden show before.
    What she liked best was it was all garden unlike "home & garden shows" that have other items to distract you.
    Thanks for the tip of showing the Price Chopper card.

• RheaT
    19 years ago

I'm so bummed that we didn't get to go this year. Unfortunately I got bronchitis just in time for the show and thought it prudent to stay home.

We did go last year and it was wonderful. They have extraordinary displays. You really need to bring a pad and pen to take notes of resources and plants.

We bought a Wardian case there last year at a very good price. Everything I planted in it has thrived and it makes for an interesting conversation piece.

Does anyone know of an online calendar for garden shows/expos/plant sales, etc? (We live in Rens Cty. but I'm also interested in Berkshires and southern VT.)