Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
penny1947_gw

Batten down the Hatches again!

penny1947
17 years ago

Well I see we have another storm heading through western NY tonight and until around 2:00 tomorrow afternoon. Our local news said it could be the worst storm since Dec. 2002 so make sure your feedrs are full and your toys put away! If you are wintersowing make sure your containers are secure.

Looks like we are having a run of holiday storms this year. Maybe they will dub this one the Valentines's Day Vengeance!

Penny

Comments (13)

• gottagarden
    17 years ago

What a weird winter! It is so COLD! I haven't seen the frozen ground since early January. Nothing to do but dream about spring. Looks like another school closing today.

• penny1947
    Original Author
    17 years ago

We only got about 6 nches of new snow over night but the blowing and drifting was something else. I couldn't get out my back door this morning to let the dog out as it had drifted almost another 6 inches up against the door. In the front it had drifted to form a wall abour 2 ft high in front of one of my beds....a good thing now it will block more wind LOL!

Penny

• laurelin
    17 years ago

We've gotten six inches so far, but there was a period of sleet/extremely icy snow around 3AM, so it's pretty ugly out there. From the looks of the storm, we'll be accumulating throughout today. One area TV station is calling for 24-30 inches total accumulation, but I don't think we'll see quite so much at my house since we're deep in the valley. The hilltops will be buried, though.

All the schools and colleges are closed down here. I have an important doctor's appointment this afternoon, but I'll have to wait until later this AM to find out if their office is open. My kids are excited to finally get a LOT of snow to play and sled in. This is the most we've had at one time in a couple years.

I put out another batch of winter sown milk jugs two nights ago, using up my ProMix and trying to beat the storm. I wish I'd had more soil on hand, but c'est la vie.
    I'll get more ProMix this weekend, and start fresh. I don't think those jugs are going anywhere, with 6" of snow on top of them now and more to come.

My DH was out with the shovel and roof rake early today. He'll have to repeat the exercise tonight. I bought a new heavy-duty shovel yesterday, and we were joking that it was his Valentine's Day present. . . .

Laurel

• penny1947
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I just saw on the news that they said this storm is covering 20 states. It is still snowing here in Niagara Cty. and people are driving really slow. Schools are pretty much all closed in Niagara Cty. DH plowed the driveway before he left for work at 6:45 and you can hardly tell it already an hour and a half later. I have about 5 inches of snow on my front porch which has never happened before.

Penny

• tastefullyjulie
    17 years ago

I got a couple feet. I'm pretty much snowed in now since DH never has time to shovel before work. The funniest part is that I forgot the door to our sunroom was stuck open on some ice (happened when I was tossing some milk jugs out on the deck). Now there's a 2 feet snow drift IN my sunroom, LOL.

• penny1947
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The drift has increased on my screened porch also Julie. I think I have almost a foot of snow on the porch in some areas. Well I have had enough. It is too #@$%^&* to put any wintersowing continers out there so I am watching all the birds come to the suet feeders from the window.

Penny

• wantoretire_did
    17 years ago

We have a couple of feet here in Saratoga!! Blew the snow on my side of the driveway 2-1/2 hours ago and there's at least another foot back on it, and it doesn't show signs of stopin'......

Carol

• penny1947
    Original Author
    17 years ago

No signs of letting up here either Carol and I thought it was supposed to stop or at least slow down by 2:00 this afternoon. It is up to my back door again and the driveway doesn't even look like it has been plowed. Even the poor dog doesn't want to go out any more.

Penny

• Aurore
    17 years ago

It doesn't look like there is going to be any let up here either. The weather report for tomorrow looks the same as that for today and it has been coming down non stop all day long. We got about 18 inches although shoveling it feels more like 18 feet. There is no place to put it. Mount P is getting higher on our lawn. You know it's alot of snow when that mountain of snow starts to take shape and grow. The city has declared a state of emergency so no one can go out on the roads.

• wantoretire_did
    17 years ago

DD (Dear Dog) doesn't know what to make of this. Peed on the deck so I shoveled thru 3 feet so he could go out in the yard. He sank in and made a bee-line to the door. Sooner or later he's going to have to make the journey......

Carol

• faltered
    17 years ago

We only got around 6 to 10 inches here in Hamburg. Not sure why all the schools in our area were closed. The snow hardly blew around, either. Not like last week, that's for sure.

Tracy

• Aurore
    17 years ago

Record breaking 25 inches for Feb 14
    I posted some pictures. This link may take a while to download if you have a slow service like me. You may also need to refresh page to get all the pics to come in.

Here is a link that might be useful: my webpage

• penny1947
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Aurore,
    Those are great pictures to remember Valentine's
    Daoy 2007 by. Thanks for posting the link....it looks very similar to my part of NY!

Penny

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor