Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
magicman2u

Buffalo area New Gardener!

magicman2u
18 years ago

Hello all I am from North Tonawanda NY. I have been Gardening for only 3 years but I have soo many plants already. Maybe to many. I have come across a couple problems. First I have big plant blocking smaller plants and I am afraid to move them for fear they won't survive and won't bloom. Second I had many plants falling over on top of others and need to fix this this year. I also need compost or something to rejuvinate this soil. Its not bad soil it just need some help. I will pay for some good compost if anyone in the area is will to give it up. Here is a Question I need an answer to. In the Fall I did not rake the leaves and they are all laying in the beds. Is this Bad? When should I start removing them..I don't want to disturb possible seeds and dorment plants. Also the rain and watering has compacted the soil in my beds. Should I lossen the soil and when should I do this. I have so much to learn in Gardening and so little time....Thank Magicman!

Comments (16)

• penny1947
    18 years ago

Hey there Magicman
    Welcome from another gardener in N. Tonawanda. Right now I can't help you on the compost as I make my own but on a limited basis since I don't have a big area for a large compost pile but if I did I would be more than happy to share. You could do trench composting by adding organic matter right to the soil by digging a trench or hole an putting the organic material right into the hole or trench and covering it with about an inch of soil. As the matter decomposes it will supply nutrients for the surrounding plants. When I first started composting I used this method as I didn't have a definite area where I could set a compost pile nore did I generate enough matter to add to one...amazing how that has changed in just a couple of years.

I would leave the leaves where they are until spring (whenever that happens to arrive this year). I too still have lots of leaves left from fall that didn't get raked up and they helpe to protect the root system of my plants that may be a little more susceptible to freeze thaw damage especially this year since we don't have any snow cover to protect them.

Depending on the plants that are falling over, you can use whatever method works to keep them upright. I have used green bamboo stakes to tie the plants to. I have also used tomato cages and the rolled wire fencing cut into sections and then rolled to form a tube around the plant. All of these work well depending on the plant you are trying to keep upright.

Penny

• faltered
    18 years ago

Magicman: Welcome to GW! You'll find lots of helpful people and great advice here.

I wouldn't worry too much about moving your plants. Wait until the spring when they start to sprout, then dig them up and replant. I'd watch them and make sure they are kept watered, but they should be fine. I transplanted a ton of plants last spring and all bloomed fine.

Tracy

• remy_gw
    18 years ago

Hi Magicman,
    I'm in Tonawanda. I used to have that fear of killing plants if I moved them. I find that as long as I get things moved by the end of May, I have very good success. Usually it is cool and wet enough through that time that plants don't need much extra care.
    You have zone 4 after your name, but you are in zone 6.
    Remy

• magicman2u
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you all for the input. I changed my zone to 5.5. I live almost in Canada and I don't feel like being a 6 :)
    I still have alot of cleaning to do in my Garden. I have plants that died down and I need to cut back all the stalks and ect.Next week I will get started with some outside winter Sowing.... Thanks so much! Wayne

• penny1947
    18 years ago

Wayne,
    N. Tonawanda actually borders zone 6a and 6b depending on how the wind is blowing.
    Zone 6ers can grow more plants than zone 5ers.

One more little tip that I found very helpful. I don't cut the dead stalks off my plants until the new growth starts to come out or until I know winter is over for sure. The dead stalks help protect the root from water getting down in there and freezing the root system or rhizome etc and causing it to burst. Once the weather finally warms up for real and I know we aren't going to get any more freezes I remove all the dead stuff. It looks bad for a while but not long.

Penny

• magicman2u
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks to Penny I found a new way to show my flowers and creations. Check it out and let me know what you think!
    Heres my flower Pics

• penny1947
    18 years ago

Wayne,
    Your flowers and your pond are awsome. Flicker is a much better hosting service than Yahoo's album but they are compatible and it is easy to use. I also use Snapfish but they keep sending me emails telling me they are going to delete my account if I don't buy something. I am sure you have already received my email by now but just to emphasize it again.....I look forward to seeing that pond in person.

Penny

• gottagarden
    18 years ago

Welcome to the area! This weather is sure misleading . . .
    As far as working the soil, wait until it's dry, or almost dry. When it's this wet it will compact terribly if you work it, and that's not good. But you can cut back plants, etc. I just got caught up last week.

Your garden photos look great, I really like the morning glory arch. Have fun!

• faltered
    18 years ago

Great photos! Your pond looks wonderful. Love that water lily. I'm hoping to start a container water garden this year and that photo was very inspiring.

Tracy

• magicman2u
    Original Author
    18 years ago

First of all I wanted to thank you all for the love and kindness you show on this forum! I am enjoying atleast talking about gardening since there's not much to do outside. I look forward to learning much more from all of you. I have some new ideas for my garden this year and can't wait to get going. Also I need some railroad tie's ...so if anyone knows where to get them at a reasonable price that would be great!...Thanks again...Wayne

• pamghatten
    18 years ago

Welcome,

I'm in South Wales, out by East Aurora, but grew up in Kenmore. There are tons of gardening functions going on around the Buffalo area all summer long and many great nurseries to visit. Don't forget to check out the many farmer's markets!

If you want to come get some composted Donkey manure this spring, you are more than welcome. That's open to anyone that wants a couple bushel baskets full ...

Attached is a link to my Farm with pictures of my gardens and animals.

Enjoy,
    Pam

Here is a link that might be useful: My Farm

• magicman2u
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Last years someone told me that I could take a long knife and slice my Hosta in half...and I did it and it worked great! I need to find out what other plants I can do this to. How else can I bring plants to share and exchange in the spring. I am working on a list of all my plants. I do have a ton of seeds! I will be also posting pictures of all the flowers I took in Tahiti.

• magicman2u
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ok I have posted some of my Tahiti flower pics. I will be adding a ton more soon!

Tahiti pics here!

• gottagarden
    18 years ago

Pam, what a great farm! It looks so nice there. Your photo of gardens flooding was interesting, good thing you have raised beds there!

• penny1947
    18 years ago

The Flowers of Tahiti are gorgeous!!!! Were you able to snatch any seeds to bring back and try here?

Penny

• pamghatten
    18 years ago

Thanks gottagarden ... it's very interesting to watch how the water runs down the hill here. Last year, when we had 5 inches in 2 or 3 hours, the force of the water actually moved some of those raised beds.

This Fall the town actually came out and dug the front ditch deeper, something I've asked them to do for the past 7 years. Had to do the raised beds because of the water .. but that's OK cuz they're easier to take care of.

And yes, I LOVE my farm.

Pam